Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you consider the best tank in the games based on points cost, usabilty, armour, weapons and effectiveness in relation to the army?

For me its the tooled-up Falcon. It packs a lot of punch in shooting, can take lots of damage before crashing and is a transport vehicle too! Don't forget that its fast, so it can move 24" to grab an objective or escape from enemy fire after it has downgraded yet another potentially dangerous "stun" result to "shaken". Did I mention it can't be destroyed by an immobilised result? It is costly though.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Though I play Eldar, the Land Raider still gets it for me. It is expensive, but is such a rock and depending on the variant, can dish out tons of punishment and as you said of the falcon is also still a transport (especially for lightning clawed terminators)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm gonna have to say the Leman Russ Vanquisher... Hull Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, and a Heavy Stubber. 202 points, you get 14 Anti infantry shots OR a Str 8 AP3 Ord Blast OR a 96" Ordinance Melta Gun...

Plus in an AC you can make it a tank ace and hit on 3's...

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
But the Falcon has a crap bs so does bugger all in the game in comparision to the costs. I'd go for an ion cannon armed hammerhead for cost affective. Av 13. move 12 and shoot, great weaponry. not as survivable maybe ad the falcon but it is much cheaper and has a great weaponry thats likely to hit :)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Are we forgetting the Monolith? Cheesyist F*ing tank in the game.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I'd have to go with the humble Predator. It's a bargain in any of its configurations, and it excels at what it does. It's fairly well protected, can be armed for either serious anti-infantry fire, heavy anti-armor duty, or a jack of both. For 145 points, you get the Annihilator configuration, which gives you three shots with lascannons, one of which is twin linked. That's pretty reliable as a tank killer. A steal at 110 points, you get the Destructor, with its autocannon and heavy bolter sponsons. That's eight AP4 shots right there, and it's not exactly expensive to slap the storm bolter on there for good measure. It's an infantry squad's bane. Even Space Marine squads are likely to lose a couple men to a volley from a Predator Destructor.

The monolith may be good, but its cost means that there are fewer Necrons on the table. It's no harder to crack than a Land Raider, and honestly, it's not that hard to crack a Land Raider if you have lascannons or something similar. It's a 235-point floating target for your anti-tank squads. It's not like they've got any other armored targets to shoot at, after all.

·
Registered
383 Posts
There's many to pick from though, so it's a tough choice.

Like Horus says, I personally am a massive fan of the Predator. I have an Annihilator and a Destructor but I prefer the Annihilator. For its sponsons either has its advantages so both are good.

·
Registered
999 Posts
What about the Exorcist? The ability to move AND fire D6 S8 Ap1 missiles is pretty nasty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the monolith hands down dark eldar & eldar are wounding on 6s most imperial weapons (lascannon) will wound on 5s and if its immobilised who cares ordance and even then you can't destroy that ordance cause it doesn't count as a weapon how evil's that :twisted:

other than that any tooled out chaos tank don't question how egspensive they are just no that they are

·
Registered
966 Posts
sheer brutality it has to be the monolith.

Though i think pts for pts the SW Leaman russ exterminator is awesome. Hello BS4 doom!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does the tri-disentegrator ravager count, even though it's just a fast skimmer?

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
The landraider is just to expensive and generally packs less firepower than a predator. Blah.

From my experience I;d say either a Baal predator (BA varriant, TLAssault Cannon turret, HB sponsons)

Or the Hammerhead. Give that sucker a multi-tracker and decoy launchers and it;s almost as hard to kill as a falcon, but capable of dealing out some massive damage with the railgun. I don;t know how much a tooled up falcon costs, but a hammerhead with SMS, a pair of seekers, multi-tracker, target lock and railgun runs about 200 points. Expensive, but worth it.

If you want to extend ot beyond tanks, I'd lay money down on the HB/AC Tornado. Point for point, probably the most effective vehicle in the game.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Galahad said:
I'd lay money down on the HB/AC Tornado. Point for point, probably the most effective vehicle in the game.
For hunting infantry, at any rate. A speeder with a multi-melta is the most efficient tank-killer I've come across for its points.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Horus: The HB/AC tornado may not be as reliable as a multimelta at 12" but between there and 24" I;d put money on for chances to rend any day. General purposes, the HB/AC LST is by far the best. If you;re very speciffically going against tanks, it pays to pack a MM.

A mixed LST/MM speeder squad is a good combo. Use the M for tank hunting and a cheaper ablative wound for the squad.

Anphicar: While a hammerhead can do the whole hide behind cover thing (Especially with landing gear or sensor spines) , if you;re relying on cover you;re probably not equipping/playing it right. At the very least, a disruption pod makes cover neigh pointless (abscured against any shots from more than 12" away) and if you have a hammerhead, you HAVE to budget the points for a Multitracker. Move that little SOB 6-12" every turn and it's glance city (Give it decoys too though, less chance of crash and burn)

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Leman Russ Vanquisher, kills tanks nicely, kills infantry nicely, has excellent armour, there is no better vehicle

1 - 20 of 98 Posts