Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What would be the mood of a Sister Hositallier the elite healers of the 40k? I mean they can't be as serious or as moody as the frontline Sororitas, because that would ruin their bedside-manner and cause a few death, I mean they can't possibly be a bunch of nurse Rachetts if they want anyone surviving. More a bunch of sister Theresas with extreme medical knowledge.

And also commissars would be good medical personnel due to indifference to other people's pain. That's a good trait in a medical-trained person.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I'd go off the women surgeons on Grey's Anatomy...... that my wife watches OK, not me !

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
It depends on the individual, of course. In James Swallow's SoB series we see a sister Hospitaller, Sister Verity, in action.

She's a caring woman who has a fiery faith in the God-Emperor. She's kind. She's gentle. At the same time, she is prepared to administer the Emperor's Peace to those too injured to live.

I think the more...aggressive women would probably stick to the Order Militant. On the other hand, if you want, I could imagine a neophyte trying to enter the Sisters of Battle but failing (whether physically or in terms of skill) and ends up being placed in one of the Orders--Hospitaller in this case. She could bitterly try to act as if she was a Sister of Battle while fulfilling her role--or perhaps failing in her role--as a Sister Hospitaller.

I mean they can't be as serious or as moody as the frontline Sororitas,
They're not all moody. They really do have an appreciation for the God-Emperor and his subjects. Many of them are willing to sacrifice themselves or their sisters in order to His subjects.

Look at the SoB in James Swallow series (actually, don't, they're bad) or Sandy Mitchell's in the Ciaphas Cain series.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
I'd go off the women surgeons on Grey's Anatomy...... that my wife watches OK, not me !
Yeah, yeah, yeah. :p

I'd say it boils down to the individual in question. Despite their faith in the Emperor Sisters are all still people with their own personalities.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
well i think thier bedside manner would be a lot better then a commissar or two....i would be more inclinned to say the old style hospital Matron, keeping her ward running smooth, strict doctrine but a kindly word when needed but nobodies fool and still able to kick ass when needed.

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think of the Ciaphas Cain-novels mainly as as a man smarking over defeats in sports. That thing hurts, and can't be taken at face-value. I like the suggestion of old style hospital-matron however. That would be perfect for them. I mean they are basically vessels of faith with medical knowledge. Any suggestion for things I can watch with that? Old-style hospital matrons.

Also commissars wouldn't be that bad as medical personnel as their indifference to other people's suffering is perfect for medical personnel. Though I would rather be treated personally by a Sister Hospitallier than a commissar with medical knowhow.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
any 60s british film to do with or have hospitals in them, or maybe the british TV series The Royale, Wendy Craig plays Matron as she should be seen, sometimes even the doctors thought twice before countermanning Matrons orders, they were the Doctors, Matron RAN the hospital wards, her word was LAW

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I always have the picture of any Sororitas being something akin to the Nuns of historical context. Stubborn, strict, and not too freindly or open to outsiders.

As for the specific order of the Hospitalliers I would think perhaps alittle more compassion but still strict and stubborn. Remeber most of those girls are brainwashed fanatics of the Emporers; thats the material they tend to recruit for those orders.

On the note of the Commissar.........bad Beavis, bad :p

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not really, the lack of compassion in a commissar would be a huge asset as they could f.ex. amputate without anesthetics and tell a person to just bite the pain. They would be good as medical personnel, but it shall be noted, thus far my commissars has acted more like medics than commissars. Hehe.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I know but still the idea of Medicae is to treat, heal, and return the soldiers to the fight as quickly as possible. While I agree the less virtuous side of the Medical Field could use Commissars (which I'm sure Medical Guard units probably have one attached) the idea of them acting as Triage or Corpsmen is almost unthinkable.

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course, and my commissars has a nasty tendency to listen to medics and doctors as that's not a thingy they would do and they are merely trained, not the best in their field at a planet of hats were every soldier is a medic. So the medics are as skilled as doctors so the commissars would be morons for not showing deference. That I have done strongly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts