Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this appeared on my fb newsfeed just now.

Clicky!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Whoa, just noticed this:

An Imperial pilot catches a YT-1300 in the Raider's sweet spot, where its firing zones overlap, allowing it to fire twice from its primary weapon and then three times from secondary weapons, for a total of seven energy and nineteen attack dice!
:shok:

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
It's impressive, until you think about how situational that actually is. The enemy has to be within a very narrow space, at exactly range 2, you need to have maxed out on your weapon upgrades, and you need 7 spare energy that you're not using in any other way that turn - for example to regen shields or for other upgrades or crew.

Even then, you're not rolling 19 attack dice all at once, you're doing it in batches, so a 3 agility ship rolls 15 green dice vs your 19, with any relevant defensive abilities activating each time.

Yes, the Raider has a crapton of firepower, and you'll suffer if you park next to it at point blank range with a low agility ship, but that's pretty much the same as every other ship in the game, really, isn't it? I mean, what would happen if you sat at R2 of 150pts of TIEs with a Falcon?

That said, I can't WAIT for mine to arrive. Must... crush... Rebel... Scum...

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
100pts basic before you start adding on toys :)

When the cash is free, I'll be purchasing this and the Tantive IV together :spiteful:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
all that good stuff
Well, yeah, but the point I was caught by was that it has the potential to attack 5 times in one turn regardless of whether it's at one ship in the sweet spot (which might end up happening more often to large base models than small ones, though I agree infrequently so long as maneuvers are made with sense).

The last two attacks from the Aft section, despite rolling 4 dice each, can only cause one damage a piece and add an Ion token....plus there's all that extra agility for range 4-5. That example is just to fluff consumers, like I said I'm just blown away by how many times it gets to roll dice.

Could 14 TIEs all even be in range of the same ship at R2 if they were flying in formation?

When the cash is free, I'll be purchasing this and the Tantive IV together
Hells yes. Same on this end, we've decided that the first Epic game we play with big ships should be properly represented.

Still trying to fit in the Rebel Transport...

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still trying to fit in the Rebel Transport...
Bought and paid for! :laugh:

She's not been out of the box - for a game - yet though :cray:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
She's not been out of the box - for a game - yet though
What a shame! She looks like quite the support ship. Plus on the hilarious occasion when you manage to drive right into one of your opponent's little bastard ships: see ya sucker!!

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, especially if you have Toryn Farr as a crew card.

Spend any amount of energy to pick that many enemy ships at range 1-2 to remove all Focus, Evade and Blue TL tokens from those ships :laugh:

·
Registered
409 Posts
<will be dropping sledgehammer sized hints to my team in work that my birthday is in June>

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ordered it a while back as I had money on my PayPal account. If nothing else I actually want the upgrades for the Tie Advanced. I've been proxying X/1 and Advanced Targeting Computer and they are quite epic. Makes the Tie Advanced worthwhile again.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Best thing about the Transport imo is Tarn Mison and Wes Janson! ;)

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Janson is a great pilot, offering an extremely useful ability without being as "You gotta kill me as soon as possible" as Wedge is.

Tarn is just 25pts of stupidly-hard-to-kill when paired with an R7 Astromech. Every time someone attacks you, you can make them reroll any dice that you want, which happens before they are allowed to reroll from target locks etc. Since a dice can only be rerolled once, that means the attacker is forced to use Focus and little else, after his hits and eyeballs have already been rerolled once. Strap on a Shield/Hull upgrade and watch Tarn live pretty much forever.

·
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tarn is just 25pts of stupidly-hard-to-kill when paired with an R7 Astromech. Every time someone attacks you, you can make them reroll any dice that you want, which happens before they are allowed to reroll from target locks etc. Since a dice can only be rerolled once, that means the attacker is forced to use Focus and little else, after his hits and eyeballs have already been rerolled once. Strap on a Shield/Hull upgrade and watch Tarn live pretty much forever.
Heh, that sounds pretty funky :good:

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
...... it's so pretty..... but they're releasing a Halo game....... but I love SW, especially the idea of fleet level engagements..... but Halo fleet engagements....... ugh, war gaming shouldn't hurt this much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts