Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here, for those who may be interested, the toxicrene/maleceptor kit, built as the latter.

And complete:

My only real gripe with this kit is its lack of versatility. To build the monster in its upright pose requires use of the dead terminator on the base, and I hate adding victims to my model's bases. Also, the scything talon arms lack the universal ball and socket joins of the other tyranid monsters, meaning I would be required to fill gaps if I were to switch out for a meatier set of arms from the carnifex or trygon kit.

Other than that, I'm happy with how the kit is put together. :good:

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Hmm, that's a lot more Beetle-like than I expected.

Shame that on the rules side it's an upwards of 200 points critter whose WC2 witchfire power (not even going to go into how many dice that casting that 3 times would suck up) is only BS3...

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a nice looking figure, but I am the exact same as you in regards to this and it would really bother me.
It's probably possible to do the same without the terminator, but there isn't much area to glue to the base without it. At least in the hunched pose it has both claws on the ground.

Hmm, that's a lot more Beetle-like than I expected.

Shame that on the rules side it's an upwards of 200 points critter whose WC2 witchfire power (not even going to go into how many dice that casting that 3 times would suck up) is only BS3...
Is very beetle, also a lot broader in the carapace than I was expecting too.

The way I see it, psychic powers are an option, not a necessity. At the very least, this is a viable elites slot synapse creature that can potentially dish out some psychic damage and handle itself in assault. There's also whatever other psychic powers it manifests as well as the Dominion power to play with.

I think having two of them is a safe enough bet.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aaaand painted. Well, mostly, there's some highlights to add and some mistakes to patch up, but by my standards this is table ready. :)

The lighting is total garbage, but this is all I could do at the time. When it's done I'll make sure to get pictures in daylight. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The right foreleg has two variants, one bent and one straight.

The rear legs then have two variant connection plates that align with either pose.

The left foreleg only has one variant.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Those brains look awesome, you painted them well.

Can't stand its rules though. I'd always prefer a tervigon with CC and ESG. I can't imagine the scenario that I'd try casting the maleceptor's psychic power over whatever other two powers it rolls.

The toxicrene looks good but those giant tentacles are going to make it a nightmare to carry around. I'll have to hold out for those drop pod creatures, find out what they're all about

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those brains look awesome, you painted them well.

Can't stand its rules though. I'd always prefer a tervigon with CC and ESG. I can't imagine the scenario that I'd try casting the maleceptor's psychic power over whatever other two powers it rolls.

The toxicrene looks good but those giant tentacles are going to make it a nightmare to carry around. I'll have to hold out for those drop pod creatures, find out what they're all about
Thank you.

The way I see it, I'm running two detachments so I have six elites slots to play with anyway. These are a synapse creature, tote an invulnerable save and are a monstrous creature capable of holding their own in combat. MAYBE their psychic abilities will be useful, if nothing else they are a solid backup node to spam Dominion and keep my bugs under control. My list also includes two crones, two exocrines and two flyrants with a possible two more monsters if slots and points allow. Everything else is filled out by gaunts. These two are there to give me synapse and if I'm lucky a few blessings. I'll only be using their overload power if it becomes such that there is nothing else worth doing with their psychic phase.

I agree with the toxicrene, though it will no doubt be a great addition to any swarm.

From what I've seen of the new spore kit and the variant rules, I honestly think the sporocyst is going to have more application than the tyrannocite.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Painting looks really nice, and thanks for the kit breakdown/review :victory:

From what I've seen of the new spore kit and the variant rules, I honestly think the sporocyst is going to have more application than the tyrannocite.
Really? I think Nids being able to drop down 20 Gaunts with Devourers in essentially a Drop Pod, or drop a Toxicrene straight down into a ruin into your opponent's half to avoid having to slog it across the field (where it will almost certainly die) is a huge benefit - Carnifexes and Gaunts are the obvious choices, but it's almost worth taking on it's own to drop that many Barbed Stranglers into your opponent's infantry (it has Inertial Guidance System so drop it right down in the middle, who cares about scatter). Drop Pods seem to really help out Nids, but the Sporocyst... I dunno. I'm not entirely sure what it's for - it's kinda like a bunker, but not strong enough to do that, and kinda wants to be a synapse booster but it can't move with your synapse units so that's not great, and it's guns are all facing in different directions so you can never shoot the unit you want with more than one or maybe two guns if you position it well on the Infiltrate.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Painting looks really nice, and thanks for the kit breakdown/review :victory:
No worries and thanks. :)

Really? I think Nids being able to drop down 20 Gaunts with Devourers in essentially a Drop Pod, or drop a Toxicrene straight down into a ruin into your opponent's half to avoid having to slog it across the field (where it will almost certainly die) is a huge benefit - Carnifexes and Gaunts are the obvious choices, but it's almost worth taking on it's own to drop that many Barbed Stranglers into your opponent's infantry (it has Inertial Guidance System so drop it right down in the middle, who cares about scatter). Drop Pods seem to really help out Nids, but the Sporocyst... I dunno. I'm not entirely sure what it's for - it's kinda like a bunker, but not strong enough to do that, and kinda wants to be a synapse booster but it can't move with your synapse units so that's not great, and it's guns are all facing in different directions so you can never shoot the unit you want with more than one or maybe two guns if you position it well on the Infiltrate.
Yea, but here's the thing. Nothing can charge off a deep strike, so assuming your opponent will fire at the dropped unit it has to either get a turn of shooting off or be resilent enough to survive potentially half an army's worth of fire. I can see this tactic being useful if it is applied in large numbers, say four or five units being dropped. Frankly, that's more than I'm willing to commit to such a tactic.

The sporocyst on the other hand has the same firepower, same points and infiltrates so you already put it where you want it. Additionally, it generates nuisance units each turn as well as a single mucolid that can potentially bring down a flyer or tank.

To be honest, I can see usefulness in both, but for my particular play style, I find the sporocyst to be more useful.

Also, from what I understand, monstrous creatures have a 360 arc of fire. I'm not sure how that works with these things, unless there's a rule I'm missing.

·
Pony Marine Master
284 Posts
Im liking your maleceptor Serpion. I made the Toxicrene but have been running it as a maleceptor for the last two games. It did well. Against Chaos it kept a point safe from two teams of terminators and a cultist blob (broke them XD). He also managed to survive a dreadnaught and a six man terminator squad before having to run from a Captain + tactical squad (i was out of wounds XD). Its a not to bad unit, just wish the price wasn't quite that high.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Yea, but here's the thing. Nothing can charge off a deep strike, so assuming your opponent will fire at the dropped unit it has to either get a turn of shooting off or be resilent enough to survive potentially half an army's worth of fire. I can see this tactic being useful if it is applied in large numbers, say four or five units being dropped. Frankly, that's more than I'm willing to commit to such a tactic.
Certainly it's something you'd either want to build an army round or bring a unit similar to Drop Melta - in Tyranids' case, that's Zoanthropes or Gaunts with Devourers. Drop down, kill something, die and hope the thing you killed was worth more than you. That or as you say, bring a whole bunch of Pods, a Skyblight Swarm, a couple of Flying Hive Tyrants with a Hive Commander, and you're good to go.

The sporocyst on the other hand has the same firepower, same points and infiltrates so you already put it where you want it. Additionally, it generates nuisance units each turn as well as a single mucolid that can potentially bring down a flyer or tank.
Oh, the Mucolid seems very nice, being able to throw one of those out is a real pain. I'm just not sure I'd want to pay 100pts for 5 Barbed Stranglers/Venom Cannons on a frankly-not-that-tough immobile platform if it wasn't doing anything else. I'd like it a lot more if it fired the Spores, rather than having to put them within 6" (you're Infiltrating and Immobile - the chances of your 3" move Spore Mines getting to the enemy are low, to say the least). I'd definitely have to play against both though; just my initial impression is that Drop Pod marines are really good in 7th for a reason.

Also, from what I understand, monstrous creatures have a 360 arc of fire. I'm not sure how that works with these things, unless there's a rule I'm missing.
You draw line of sight from the eyes for MCs, but since you can't do that since it has no eyes I guess you draw line of sight down the gun barrels. I know it fires at the end of the shooting phase and every gun it has aims at the nearest visible target, but that doesn't really explain LOS issues (although it does raise the potential nullification of it if your enemy parks a tough tank or monster next to it to force it to fire inefficiently).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts