Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a brief departure from playing to painting, T-bone and i returned to the ongoing battle between "The Legion of Woog" and "the Yet to be named Space Wolves."

standard 750pt setup. Old school Table edge to table edge battle. 1 piece of area cover, a few barriers,.
Space Wolves:

HQ

Wolf Lord w/ thunderwolf mount,
Belt of Russ
WolfTooth necklace (bane of my existance)
power weapon

Troops

2x Squads of 5 Grey hunters
1x Melta gun
1x power weapon
1x pack leader (or something like that)
1x power fist

Fast Attack

2x Thunder wolves
1x power weapon

Heavy Support

5 man Long Fang Squad
1x Squad leader
2x las cannons
2x heavy bolters

Legion of Woog

HQ

Deamon prince w/ mark of khorn and wings

Troops

1x 8 man zerker squad
+1 Skull Champ w/ pf
Dedicated Rhino w/ havoc launcher

1x 6 man zerker squad
+1 Skull Champ w/pf

Elite

Chaos Dreadnaught w/Plasma cannon and HF

Heavy Support

1x Obliterator

TURN 1 - Top

Movement:
The Legion of woog started off with a forward advance. The dreadnaught acted normal and advanced (should have popped the smoke lauchers). exposed zerker squad ran to cover, DP flew ahead. Rhino moved at combat speed. Oblit scuttled up.

Shooting:
Dreadnaught fired at a squad of Grey Hunters and took out 3/6 of them. Havoc missle launcher took out a long fang, as well as the obliterator firing a las cannon.

Assault:
N/A

TURN 1 - Bottom

Movement:
HQ joined up with the 2 thunder wolves. and advanced forward near the area cover. Both squads of grey hunters advanced forward. The havocs stayed put.

Shooting:
The Long Fangs let loose with heavy bolter and Lascannon fire. 1 las cannon at the rhino, and 1 las cannon at the dreadnaught. The dreadnaught exploded causing no damage to anything else and the rhino manged to live unscaythed.

Assault:
N/A

TURN 2 - Top

Movement:
The rhino advanced straight towards the edge of the cover and rotated to leave a safe haven for the zerkers to disembark so the HQ squad could not assault unless to go through cover. The zerkers disembarked. The other squad of zerkers moved around a barriar into position to assault the full strength squad of Grey Hunters. The daemon prince moved into position to assault the same squad. The oblit moved up into position to fire at the long fangs again.

Shooting:
The zerkers fired at the full strenght squad of GH and took out 2/6. The disembarked zerkers fired at the half strength squad of BH and took out 1 more. The obliterator took out 1 more long fang with a las cannon shot. The rhino fired it's TL bolter at the long fangs and didn't succeed.

Assault:
The small zerker squad assaulted the GH squad along with the DP and they tore through them.

TURN 2 - Bottom

Movement:
The HQ squad advanced on towards my DP. The remaining GH moved towards my disembarked Zerkers. The long fangs stayed put.

Shooting:
The Long fangs fired full both las cannons at my DP and fired the heavy bolters on my disembarked zerkers. The DP took both wounds failing both invuln saves. the zerkers made all saves. The HQ squad fired on the DP causing no wounds. The GH fired on my squad of disembarked zerkers causing no damage.

Assault:
The HQ squad assaulted my DP and the adjacent squad of Zerkers. In the battle of the HQ units my DP caued 4 wounds and his HQ caused 4 Wounds. He managed to save 2 of them on his HQ and each Thunderpup took 1. My DP was mowed down. The two remaining thunderwolves attacked at the same time as my zerkers and took out 3 of them leaving 4. None were hurt by taking the no retreat wounds. The other GH were wiped out imediatly by my zerkers without causing a wound. The zerkers consolidated 5 inches towards the thunder wolves.

TURN 3 - Top

Movement:
The zerkers moved into position to assault the Thunder wolves. The oblit moved up.

Shooting:
The oblit overheated with a plasma cannon shot and saved the wound.

Assault:
The zerkers assaulted the HQ squad. The HQ took out the remaing 4 zerkers in the small squad. The zerkers took out 1 of the thunder pups and took the HQ down to 1 wound. The thunder pups took out 1 of my zerkers. They HQ squad failed it's roll but won on the Sweeping advance and retreated 14 inches (1 inch from the table edge.)

TURN 3 - Bottom

Movement:
The HQ squad moved back towards the remaining zerkers.

Shooting:
The Long Fangs took out the Oblit and rhino.

Assault:
HQ assaulted the Zerkers killing 4. The zerkers cleaned up the unit and then consolidated towards the Long Fangs

Turn 4 - Top

Movement:
Closed the gap on the Long Fangs ( you can probably guess how this will end...)

Shooting:
Opted not to shoot... Because they wanted to feel their chain swords tearing through flesh. (yes i really know that's cocky and poor sportsmanship... but just wait... it gets worse)

Assault:
Assault the Long fangs. (at this point T-bone wanted to concede. I didn't let him. After all... those are the same long fangs that killed both my beloved dreadnaught, took 2 wounds from my DP, and Took out my Rhino) Zerkers cleaned up with their last batch of 16 hits, 10 wounds. My Skull champ just laughed....

Results

Victory - Legion of Woog

Lessons learned:

- Don't shoot at an obliterator half way across the table when there are zerkers left on the table.

- Havoc launcher... kinda worth the points.

- Don't underestimate zerkers

- don't underestimate Thunder pups

Recap:

Overall it was a very good battle. Looked very good for the legion of woog in the begining of the battle once the first round of assault went by. Turned in the favor of the unnamed pups towards the closing of CC after the DP got taken out quickly. Came down to some bad dice rolling on both parts to make it the exciting battle it was. Had it not been for the 14 inch retreat it would been a lot different. That was two rending 6's it used up :biggrin:

Let me know if you see any glaring rule screw ups or just let me know what you think of the battle.

Woog out!

p.s. If you actually read this whole thing and give some good advice i'll toss some rep your way. I went way longer than i wanted to on this one...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Well done man. I bet it was a fun game. Honestly, besides the lack of smoke, the only thing I would have done differently is run the DP up closer to the Zerks as a counter charge unit and to soak fire from them.

:good:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, well played, me thinks:victory:. I also think the battle report was well done and I like the distinct phase format. Ive been looking at bat rep formats because I'm wanting to start writing my own...

As for tips. Only thing I would have done differently with your army would be fire the obliterators Plasma cannon rather than lascannon to knock off long fangs more effectively(unless it looked out of range??). I'm not really familiar with grey hunters but judging by Judging by the beating your berzerkers gave them, the dreads plasma shot might also have been of better use against the long fangs... though I guess you can really only judge that in hindsight :)

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
As an important note, that Space Wolf list does not appear to be 750 points, more like 710 which can make a big difference. (It is the difference of one more long fang with a lascannon for example.)

In small point games every point really makes the difference, as I'm willing to bet you already know.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, well played, me thinks:victory:. I also think the battle report was well done and I like the distinct phase format. Ive been looking at bat rep formats because I'm wanting to start writing my own...

As for tips. Only thing I would have done differently with your army would be fire the obliterators Plasma cannon rather than lascannon to knock off long fangs more effectively(unless it looked out of range??). I'm not really familiar with grey hunters but judging by Judging by the beating your berzerkers gave them, the dreads plasma shot might also have been of better use against the long fangs... though I guess you can really only judge that in hindsight :)
thanks. As far as the plasma shot goes, they were spaced exactly 2 inches apart in a kill line. it was a better chance of getting 1 then possibly getting none. but thanks. I'll be giving more. I just took a pretty embarrassing loss last night against them so i'll put up the report.

As an important note, that Space Wolf list does not appear to be 750 points, more like 710 which can make a big difference. (It is the difference of one more long fang with a lascannon for example.)

In small point games every point really makes the difference, as I'm willing to bet you already know.
I'm not dead on his points. I know he has them maybe a few points over. I don't know his list exactly. I was guestimating.

woog out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts