Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Bruva I am hit!
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the doc for Adeptus Arbites in the old Inquisitor game and came across a small list of crimes against the Emperor:

1. Failure to make way for an Imperial Servant about his duties.
  2. Failure to disclose heretical thoughts.
  3. Failure to return borrowed materials of the Libras Imperialis within the allotted time period.
  4. Failing to conspicuously carry a side-arm in designated establishments (suicide law XXVC)
  5. Wearing garments of an offensive nature (incitement law CVXII)
  6. Speaking freely when in the presence of a superior.
  7. Improper disposal of the Emperor's materials.
  8. Defacement of Imperial property.
  9. Failure to attend the workplace at the appointed hour.
  10. Failing to maintain respectful silence in a sanctuary of the Emperor.
  11. Being taken hostage by the enemies of the Emperor, thus impeding the lawful servants of the Emperor's will.
  12. Failing to report thoughts of doubt.
  13. Remaining within sight of an Adeptus Arbites Precinct without do cause (loitering ordinance VV)

I knew the Imperium was a dominion of brutal and draconian law, but this is about the first concrete proof of it I've seen yet at the civilian level - and that's not even all of them; there are millions of crimes against the Emperor! However, I know why the Imperium maintains these laws in the face of its myriad, insidious, and powerful enemies. That's not what I'm asking.

Adeptus Arbites are said to be willing to punish wrongdoers for even the smallest crime, in that same document. How would the "ideal" servant of the Imperium behave, one perfectly obedient to Imperial Law and Ecclesiastical doctrine? Without the protection of status - without being a Space Marine or Inquisitor, for example - is it possible to be an "effective" Imperial servant without being totally loyal by the stringent standards of Imperial law or totally pious?

Finally, as I said before, there are millions of crimes against the Emperor with which an Imperial citizen can be charged. Is enforcing them all humanly possible for the Adeptus Arbites, even given their status as exceptional human beings? If not, could Imperial Law be seen as just a blanket mandate for Arbites personnel to be as brutal and vigilant as possible?

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Sounds to me like some British GW humor and nothing more.

Like how there are certain cities in WH40k that are parodies of real British cities.

I've come across some examples on the lexicanum, I'll try and find them. But off the top of my head, Nottingham was made fun of and deemed an abysmal city or something along those lines.

·
Bruva I am hit!
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds to me like some British GW humor and nothing more.

Like how there are certain cities in WH40k that are parodies of real British cities.

I've come across some examples on the lexicanum, I'll try and find them. But off the top of my head, Nottingham was made fun of and deemed an abysmal city or something along those lines.
Ah yes, "subsector England" as it were...

I dunno, man. Humor or not, it might make sense as far as justification for taking down heretics is concerned. Having heretical thoughts or doubt? Heresy! Failing to report doubt or heretical thoughts? DOUBLE HERESY! ~blam!~

I guess it's added security the Imperium in legal matters, where applicable.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Well even though it is a humor piece it would explain why billions are willing to turn to chaos at the first possible chance, just to gain a chance to horribly murder their former imperial masters.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Have you read the Imperial Infantrymans Uplifting Primer? It's got some more gold in it. I don't have my copy to hand but somebody else might. One of the highlights I can remember is if you lose said book you get a bullet between the eyes. Abnett makes a laugh out of it in one of the GG novels.

·
Bruva I am hit!
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you read the Imperial Infantrymans Uplifting Primer? It's got some more gold in it. I don't have my copy to hand but somebody else might. One of the highlights I can remember is if you lose said book you get a bullet between the eyes. Abnett makes a laugh out of it in one of the GG novels.
I have it, but it's not on me right now. It is indeed hilarious bullshit/bullshit hilarity.

I guess what I should really be asking is, are the Arbites really going to arrest people over a million different crimes? I'm sure they've got priorities.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This topic has just brought one thing to mind..... tea and cake or death?

But seriously

The imperium has extream laws with extream punishment so its a choice of which is slightly better. Oppressive regime or death... both aweful but theres little choice.

Anyway all the rules have a reason i suppose be it to stop one thing or another.

Plus there can be no ideal citizen of the imperium since basically there all gunna die eventually...

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think the creation of servitors was really an attempt to gene-engineer the perfect Imperial citizen.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Grow, work, eat, sleep, and create many offspring for service to the emporer. Then shoot the mutant, heretic, xeno and anyone else the authorities deem as bad. Sounds like an estate run by the Papal States during the Middle Ages. Religious ruling down to a fine comb, with every punishment laid out in the book.

The funny thing about your Ideal Imperial citizens question is that it is often contradicted in the books written within the last 3-4 years. Alot of descriptions I read of Hives and cities sound more akin to a modern metropolis with the 40k Gothic style rather than the strict, religious driven world described in the Codex's. I was reading "The Last Ditch" recently, part of the Caiphas Cain series, and found the description of the captial city to talk about artisans, shops, theaters, brothels, modern media, e.t.c. Less of a 40k sense and more a Star Wars type city.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I always found the "Imperial 10 Commandments" from the 5th ed rule book quite amusing. I can't recall the page right now though.

As for how efficient the Arbites are at carrying out the letter of their laws, I must turn to the new Dredd movie. I believe Dredd tells his rookie that the Judges have a response rate of 4% to all the crime in Mega City 1. They must prioritize what they respond to.

Perhaps the Arbites have a better response rate as the penalty for most Imperial infractions is death. I mean, one of the laws you quoted requires Imperium citizens to commit suicide should the need arise. Lesser infractions, such as speaking freely to your boss or arriving to work late are probably handled by that boss.

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
Can you recite the ten commandments, that would be a fascinating read, and as for Arbitrators coming to the rescue? Are you sure you want to call them for an employee that is a slacker, they might just file you both in to a Penal Legion for wasting their time if you are lucky, if not they would likely either beat you both into a pulp and leave you for dead for various and stupid reasons they will come up with later. I mean this is a setting were even the most sympathetic of characters actually is a religious fanatic (Ciphas Cain). Okay I admit that's my interpretation of him, but at least I don't think he would rape anyone.

·
Bruva I am hit!
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As for how efficient the Arbites are at carrying out the letter of their laws, I must turn to the new Dredd movie. I believe Dredd tells his rookie that the Judges have a response rate of 4% to all the crime in Mega City 1. They must prioritize what they respond to.

Perhaps the Arbites have a better response rate as the penalty for most Imperial infractions is death. I mean, one of the laws you quoted requires Imperium citizens to commit suicide should the need arise. Lesser infractions, such as speaking freely to your boss or arriving to work late are probably handled by that boss.
Makes sense. That also means if the boss is found to be lax in punishing employees for infractions, the Arbites could just charge the whole lot of them - the employee for being late/speaking freely/whatever, the boss for being lax, and everybody else for failure to report laxity and crime in the workplace, knowing them. "When the machine breaks down, we break down" and all that jazz.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
From page 110 of the fifth edition rule book.

BY THE EMPEROR
Thou shalt attend to thy work at the appointed hour.
Thou shalt seek no reward but the satisfaction of thy Master.
Thou shalt know thy duties.
Thou shalt Obey thy Master in all matters.
Thou shalt rejoice in thy Service.
Thou shalt be grateful of thy Master's Favour.
Thou shalt not make improper use of thy Master's comm-links, nor his las-lines, nor his opticon either.
Thou shalt be glad of thy Master's Punishment, for it is deserved and it improves thee.
Thou shalt not speak but Praise of thy Master.
Thou shalt not look upon the works of the Heretic nor speak of them.
Ecclesiarchal Proscriptions MCXVILIV
Hope you enjoyed.

Reactions: Beaviz81

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Thats bloody frick'in messed up. Sounds like the 10 Commandments to a guide of "How to Suck Up to Thy Boss." :grin:

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
It's very dystopian tyranny. I always laugh at the one about obeying thy master in all matters. Note it does not say all work-related matters. Does this mean your boss can determine when you get married or have kids? Not cool.

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
I should point out that, in classic fluff, the Adeptus Arbites did not prosecute normal crime. They only prosecuted crime that was committed against the Imperium, and could not care less about crime - to include felonies or even capital crimes and such - that fell under the planet's "jurisdiction".

This is the reason why Precincts were typically described as having only a hundred or so Arbites and perhaps only one Judge per planet. The sort of crime I can imagine them investigating?

1. Crime against any branch of the Adeptus Terra.
2. Crime that interferes with the planetary Tithe.
3. Crime committed by members of the planetary government (rebellion, piracy, interstellar smuggling, etc.).
4. Crime committed against the planetary government (protests, sedition, rebellion, piracy, interstellar smuggling, etc.).

Know what I mean? It would have to be pretty heavy stuff - or, ironically enough, even petty crime... so long as it involved the Adeptus Terra or other authorities of the Imperium. Local cops (perhaps modeled after the Adeptus Arbites) would handle anything that started and ended within the planet and didn't involve Imperial authorities. I'm not saying an Arbites would watch a murderer gun down normal people and do nothing. If someone ran out of their shop screaming that someone robbed them, though? I doubt the Arbites would bat an eye.

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
The Arbitrators don't maintain order, they just arrest persons who is dissident and serves as a visible reminder of what would happen if the PG decides to make his or quotas less stringent. On a localized level comes local law-enforcement with regular donut-eating cops being the worst and almost as good as the Arbitrators being the best as the standard of the IOM.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Has anyone considered the posibility that it's a really big cover up? Consider this:

3000 years pre current 40k, the emperor sneaks out from his hidey-hole behind the golden throne, where he had left a papier mâché skeleton a bit after the heresy to distract the tech-priests and custodes so that he could finish that paperback he'd been reading and realises the monumental shit-hole of confusion and religious cults he'd left behind. He went to the newly rising tau and gave them a template for the most enjoyable society he could think of (still dystopian and controlling, but he hasn't got a great imagination when it comes to such things). After he'd done this, he painted himself blue and spent a year being lathargic and useless, slowly weakening his body through every kind of drug and fatty food he could think of, then painted himself blue, cut off his nose and became Aun'Va. The plan is that every time the tau show up, any imperial citizen who can still think somewhat without being mentaly bombarded by propaganda will join up with the tau as soon as they encounter them, so the emperor can re-start the imperium.
This would explain almost nothing, aside from the fact that the Imperium seems, predominantly, to be a shit place to live.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts