Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did they or didn't they?

Alpharius and Omegon, two different beings with the same soul.

Were they turned to Chaos in the most intricate fashion via a misinformed or possibly misaligned Cabal?

Or did they turn their cheeks willingly to their father in order to fund the betterment of the human race after glimpsing the true vision of mankind's future under his tutelage.

Or was their a split? Did the soul that was one within two beings become less than the whole but true to their beliefs?

In my opinion current Alpha Legion operations indicate that whatever the origin of purpose the current legion (Whether it be as a result of the demise of Alpharius/Omegon at the hands on Guilliman or not...) they are a divided legion. If not more than any other. In my mind the Alpha Legion has possibly descended to the level of lone operative.

On the other hand is there someone pulling the strings? Are they playing their hands against each other? Two different factions working in utter secrecy, one for the betterment of mankind, one for the pantheon, facilitating espionage for their own agendas in an eternal bitter war against the other. Each led by the half of the spited split soul they followed such an age ago.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
You're asking a question(s), that by the very nature of the Alpha Legion, we simply won't be able to answer with any degree of certainty. Unless they decide to tell us more about their decision in the Horus Heresy series about the Primarchs decision(s).

The Cabal certainly seem to imply at one stage that Alpharius and Omegon are one soul within two bodies and they do seem to complete each others sentences, but then so do the Legion Captains, so this isn't conclusive either. Even if they are one soul, it doesn't seem as if they operate as one.

The Serpent Beneath seems to indicate that they are working against each other on some level, quite how far or to what extent isn't really shown. It might have been an isolated incident or it could be the the sign of a schism starting to form between them. Whether this is simply conflicting views on how the war should be fought, or as some fan theories are suggesting, one of the two is staying more loyal to the Emperor and working against the Heresy, where as the other one is still trying to ensure the Heresy succeeds as per the Cabal.

From both Sheed Rankos closing words in Legion, 'For the Emperor', in answer as to why they are attacking the fleet, and Alpharius asserting to the Cabal that his loyalty is to the Emperor always after they are shown the Acuity. It certainly seems that they are following the Cabals vision. But then their actions in Deliverance Lost at the end leave that in doubt.

As for the Legions current actions in 40k, no answer could be given at all really. It's just impossible to know what the hell they are doing. One or both of the Primarchs could easily be alive or both dead. They or another Alpha Legionnaire could be leading the entire Legion with to support chaos, their own agenda, someone else or even the Imperium for all we know. Or like you have suggested, the Legion is entirely fractured and just operating how ever the fuck they want.

Only one thing is certain.

I am Alpharius.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Two different factions working in utter secrecy, one for the betterment of mankind, one for the pantheon,
You say that like Chaos isn't for the betterment of mankind, when really want humanity needs is to throw off the shackles of hypocrisy and false dogma and embrace the truth and light of the Chaos Gods.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
You say that like Chaos isn't for the betterment of mankind, when really want humanity needs is to throw off the shackles of hypocrisy and false dogma and embrace the truth and light of the Chaos Gods.
The problem with that is then your life is entirely out of your hands. You could lived for a very long time, milliseconds short, or no difference it all depends on the gods/your local demonic over lord. Mean while in the Imperium chances are your going to live as long as your parents did.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The problem with that is then your life is entirely out of your hands.
But the whole point is that your life is completely in your hands. Chaos is all about doing whatever you want. Do what you want, live how you want. Whether you have the strength to take it is another question but isn`t it better to see what you`re really made of, then to die a slave?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
But the whole point is that your life is completely in your hands. Chaos is all about doing whatever you want. Do what you want, live how you want. Whether you have the strength to take it is another question but isn`t it better to see what you`re really made of, then to die a slave?
Plenty of chaos worshipers die as slaves. For every 1 'free' chaos worshiper there are billions of slaves. And what you call freedom I call trading a government for 4.5 omnipotent demonic monsters and there demonic slaves, who are still higher in the ladder than me.

Here is the chaos ladder.

Gods
Greater Demons
Lesser Demons
Demon Animals, beasts of _god_
Chaos leaders
Chaos 2nd Commands
Chaos Devotees, berserks, etc
Chaos sorcerers
Chaos soldiers
Mutant
Chaos Worshipper

Imperium
Emperor
High Lords
Rouge Traders
Planetary Governor/Generals
Merchants
Imperial military men
Imperial Citizens
Psyker
Mutant

Renegade (but not chaos)
Renegade

Since you want to be 'Free' I wish you luck in becoming a god. Chaos is about trading a corpse god for 4.5 hungry gods and their children. It's about more servitude not less.

·
Bruva I am hit!
582 Posts
Very much going off topic here guys.
We here at Heresy pride ourselves on our ability to derail topics. Observe how this topic turns from a discussion on Alpharius and Omegon into dickwaving over Chaos. It is truly a science to us.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're asking a question(s), that by the very nature of the Alpha Legion, we simply won't be able to answer with any degree of certainty.

Only one thing is certain.

I am Alpharius.
Conjecture my friend, that is certain. :grin:

That and I am Alpharius.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Very much going off topic here guys.
Well obviously, I just figured there was nothing that could really be discussed on topic (seeing as pretty much everything about the nature of the AL is unknown and unknowable by design). Just having a little fun :grin:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I think the Alpha Legion is overall loyalist, and their actions such as starting rebellions in certain systems, is used to draw Imperial direction to those systems before something even worse happens, which kind of makes them the Eldar of the legions.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Conjecture my friend, that is certain. :grin:

That and I am Alpharius.
No, screw you man. I'm Alpharius. Now we just have to figure out where the hell Omegon went.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Legion remains the best HH novel in my opinion and gave us an enthralling portrayal of the Last Legion. However, since then, it seems their overall portrayal seems a bit muddled and direction-less, mostly due to their portrayal in Deliverance Lost and Thorpe's other lacklustre work.

So, if the Heresy Series authorities do have a direction/purpose/end-game in mind for the Alpha Legion, it's anyone's guess.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts