Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The hour a day project

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Tawa 
#1 ·
For some time I have had trouble getting lots of figures painted. This has made building completed armies a very slow process. With me wanting build a 2400 point dwarf infantry army by November, plus complete a deamon army and some updates to my marines, I have decided I need a way to make my painting quicker.

To this end I have given myself a challenge to paint at least 1 hour everyday. This is obviously not going to be possible from a practical point of view as some days I go straight to gaming from work and so don't get a chance to paint anything. To get around this I will be able to make up an hours painting in the following days. So I really need a minimum of 7 hours painting a week.

The other criteria is that I must post an update in this thread everyday I paint with progress of what I have done. And this must be painting, not modelling, sculpting or converting. As a start I have already done 3 hours this week over the Tuesday and Wednesday evening.

I have no picture of this work, but here is a sample of one of the dwarfs I will be painting.

A further update tomorrow with the painting I will be doing tonight!

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice idea. Actually it will prove to be a good thing for your painting schedule. My most productive period was when i painted half an hour a day. Lots of minis painted, back then...

#4 · (Edited)
Yesterday was about trying to get a group of 6 dwarfs complete. I managed about 1 1/2 hours so pretty good going.

Not sure there is much to see from the quick pictures I took, but here are the figures at the start of the session.

And the after session picture

I just have a few details to complete and a small amount of tidying up. I will then be able to move onto completing a squad of Beasts of Nurgle.

Going to continue posting here but also use a facebook group to try and encourage more people to get painted figures (I much prefer facing a painted army across the table). Facebook page is here https://www.facebook.com/groups/349718828549608/ but you can also start up a new thread on Heresy if facebook is too old school for you :)

#5 ·
I am still managing to paint an hour a day, just not been able to get a post on the thread. Here is the completed work from Saturday.

I have started on the next batch of 5 dwarfs and have got go good start on them. I have also spent quite some time working on the beasts. I'll get a better WIP picture tonight of both these units.

#6 ·
SInce my last post I have managed to almost complete a further 5 dwarfs. But a lot of time has been spent hand painting a banner. I have almost completed this and hope to get a picture up soon. That will be 16 dwarfs painted in 1 month, which is too slow.

#7 ·
I suggest you to change painting method, if you think it's too slow. You are now ( i think) doing base coluors + highlights. If you could live with "darker" models, you could do basecoat + washes. That would reduce 30% time for each model

#9 ·
Good idea, but I do enjoy the current level of my mini's I just need to speed it up a bit. Maybe some standard rank and file with no specials will help me speed up. I may switch to doing blocks of either 8 or 10 to try and speed it up a little.

This is a great idea. At the moment I feel like everything I want to paint will take me the next decade at my current rate so I can sympathise. Good luck and keep it coming.
Its working out well so far. Its easier to stay motivated for small periods than trying to get a big block of 3 hours done in one go, for me at least.

And here is the latest models to be completed. I have noticed a part of the banner I don't like (the hanlde of the hammer) but I can fix that. The first 16 dwarfs are now completed except for the bases.

#10 ·
Well, given the detail of the banner and the quality of the freehand, i can now understand why you had a "slow" time!

#13 ·
Nice work on that banner h! :good:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.