Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
61 - 80 of 197 Posts

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
I still can't help but think that the combi-weapons look just a little too bulky. I like them otherwise.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Brilliant work on all of these. The terminators are shaping up dreadfully (by which I mean wonderfully) and I am reallyimpressed a the 3 dimensionality of your rhino work. You add on and cut-in, in places that aer visually really satisfying. You maintain a certain proximity to the original form and outline while, adding all sorts of nurgly texture and infestations.

Cheers,
Kreuger

·
Registered
401 Posts
if you'd like some input on palettes, this is the one I used as a test a little while back, and it came out pretty nice. It's based around catachan and snot greens, along with rotting flesh and shaded with a few washes of asurmen blue and bestial brown (using some weathering too, of course)

If you like the look (see bottom left leg) and want the specifics, just let me know. Great job so far on the conversions dude!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I still can't help but think that the combi-weapons look just a little too bulky. I like them otherwise.
I can definitely see where one might think that, but I find normal combi-weapons to be too weedy. These are my answer to that. ;)

Though I will say the combi-plasma is my least favorite.

if you'd like some input on palettes, this is the one I used as a test a little while back, and it came out pretty nice. It's based around catachan and snot greens, along with rotting flesh and shaded with a few washes of asurmen blue and bestial brown (using some weathering too, of course)
I actually won't be using much green in my armor scheme, though I'm sure it'll make its way to the diseased areas and filth. Currently I'm thinking of a grey armor, but I'm not sure how light or dark I plan to go with it.

I do like the weathering you've done though. Really great.

Brilliant work on all of these. The terminators are shaping up dreadfully (by which I mean wonderfully) and I am reallyimpressed a the 3 dimensionality of your rhino work. You add on and cut-in, in places that aer visually really satisfying. You maintain a certain proximity to the original form and outline while, adding all sorts of nurgly texture and infestations.
Thanks!

I'm not making as much progress in the amount of time I'd like, but I'm still having fun making this army. I've yet to play a single game of 40k in the current edition (and only two games in some former edition).

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
It's been a long while since I've worked on the Host of Worms, but I'm baaaack!

Spent the past week or so reorienting myself to what I was doing before I lapsed, and then making tweaks to almost every model I've shown before.

Pics today are of the Dreadnought. I was originally going to sculpt a plaguebearer inside of the hollowed out hull, but once I temp puttied this bit in, I knew I had to keep it.

The face is just awesome in there, as if the original "pilot" (what are they called in 40k?) has just exploded with Nurgly-cancer. Those bumps will be puss colored of course, but one or two might become huge eyes as well.

Other progress made: I now have 21 CSM assembled, with 9 more to go. I've decided on a paint scheme and I've finished assembling my Ultraforge Plague Daemon, so he's ready to primer.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Actually, I'm pretty sure it is a Skaven bit. Just some random piece a friend of mine gave me and I've been wanting to use it. Once I build on all the surrounding sinew/wires/corrosion, I think it is really going to be gross looking. This "thing" has been growing inside the Dreadnought and has finally burst through. :D

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
I am with the others man! Nice looking conversion and progressing along nicely.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I am glad you are back to it. These fantastic works need to be finished. The mods to the new dread work very well too. I will be following with interest.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Ha, Pestinators, I'm going to have to keep that. ;)

More WIP pics soon and I'm waiting for some paint to deliver so I can start on them. I think I've settled on a paint scheme. One requirement is being able to speed paint them, cause I'm horribly slow otherwise. 40k just has too many models for me to take my normal time to paint.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Like, totally oh-em-gee, I've started some paint tests!

My main concern is I have to come up with a speed painting scheme, or I'll never do these guys. Of course, the flip side is that I'm really digging my conversions and greenstuff work, and I'm terrified I'm going to screw them up with bad painting. *sigh*

I liked where I got this yellow/umber look:

But then I didn't know what to do with it, so I split some washes and some drybrushing on him, and don't like either side:

Next was a pale green with brown trim, also with a bit of a purple wash just in the creases/joints:

One more set of layers took him to:

And then I have this guy. I didn't want to go too green with my scheme, but I must say I like him the most.

Then he went to (a little blurry, sorry):

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
The second to last picture is my favorite scheme mate, I actually think that it looks really good! Very weathered and decayed looking. That one has my vote.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Just an couple of updates.

Challenges are flying around over at PapaNurgle.net to be the first to paint 1500 points before the person who challenged you. Gentlemen's agreement, just for bragging rights and fun.

I've never actually played this damn game yet, but I've pieced together my goal 1500 list. My goal is to convert and paint up:

Daemon Prince
Greater Daemon
14 Plague Marines
20 CSM
4 Rhinos
2-3 Obliteraters

I'll still work on the Terminators in this thread, but they may get paused while I knock out this other stuff first. I gotta push through with the challenge first.

Now on to other things. First, I've finally finished the first Rhino. All the pitting is done (I like the effect, but nut sure I'll do it to every tank). The Plaguebearer, Bolters-Akimbo and all, is done and I have pin-mounted a havoc launcher. Instead of magnets, there is a brass rod to hold it in, and I'll probably mount a few other swappable weapons if need be. If no options are taken, I have a Nurgle banner to wave in the slot.

Let's see, what else.

Oh, yes, I made some test skin patches to play with skin tone palettes:

Also, and I'm so excited about this, say hello to my new GUO candidate (included in a scale shot):

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Rhino is looking good mate. The pockmarking really works well and the gunner plague bearer is pretty cool.

61 - 80 of 197 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.