XIV Death Guard
XV Thousand Sons
XVI Luna Wolves / Sons of Horus
XVII Word Bearers
XVIII Salamanders
XIX Raven Guard
XX Alpha Legion

+++++++++++++++++++++++++​

The aim of this thread is to collect all the Heresy era plogs I have scattered throughout time and space into one cohesive space. I’ve been fortunate enough to have been commissioned to create several Astartes forces and I hope to collect all 18 with accompanying characters and auxiliary forces. Instead of creating a new plog for each individual piece I will have this one thread and keep it updated with completed images.

- But how to go about displaying such a vast array of miniatures neatly in one thread? I’ve decided to have an index (above) and have a couple of empty slots below and hyperlink individual posts of note to the above. I will also provide links to my blogsite (I do so not to spam the forum: my photobucket accounts tend to attract a lot of attention expending my bandwidth allocation with alarming speed). Over the coming days I will be updating this page with my previous work and adding all relevant links.

The Architects of Betrayal.

Erebus and Kor Phaeron​

It seemed apt tot start the blog with the two instigators of the treachery.

I think this release has been a little overshadowed by the release of Ferrus Manus at Games Day. Personally, I was looking forward to painting these miniatures more. Whereas Ferrus represents the fulfillment of the martial/ ideological ideal of humanity as envisaged by the Emperor, Erebus and especially Kor Phaeron, represent humanities frailty. Frailty, greed, lust and decrepitude are much more interesting subjects than perfection (fans of Fulgrim may disagree).

Does anyone else think that Kor Phaeron looks like Prince Phillip? I'd love to know the kind of visual ques Edgar Skormorowski used to create this model. Although you cannot see this from the photos, the underside of the gauntlets have Kor Phaeron's bare hands hard wired into the suit. You can also see the characters back legs from behind poking out from this false terminator suit. I glued the head a little father back in the suit to reinforce the unease of the character. Curiously, the white dwarf preview in white dwarf seems to be a different head from the one put into general release. I wonder if there is a story there?

Blog Entry

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Myles

Lil'Legend Studio

Facebook

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
WOW, amazing work here! keep it coming!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys! I'm really thrilled you like Erebus and Kor Phaeron. I have a little catching up to do here.

The Gorgon, Ferrus Manus, Martyred Father of the X legion, Iron Hands​

This was a beautiful model to paint. The final photos for the Iron Hands Legion Primarch, Ferrus Manus. This is my first Primarch project and I'm relieved to have one under my belt. I own Angron and Fulgrim but indecision has forced me to put off the projects to later dates. Still wrapped up in the enthusiasm of Games Day I broke the seal and put primer to resin before I could let doubts settle.

I've written up a reflection on the piece for the blog. I hope you enjoy the pictures and any feedback would be warmly received (unless your a dick about it...)

Blog post

Original Thread
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?382007-The-Gorgon-Ferrus-Manus-a-WIP-and-tutorial-log
Ferrus Manus X
Facebook

Myles

The Phoenician Fulgrim, Primarch of the Emperor's Children, The Perfect Son.

“I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 60,000 years ago.”

Intimations on Perfection, unpublished treatise. Author Unknown.

Fulgrim's character is one of intense darkness and light. On the one hand he is the most idealistic (although Lorgar may disagree) of the Emperor's sons, striving for the perfection he believes humanity is capable of. His legion bore that responsibility until its disintegration, where each soldier chose what his personal ideal of perfection would be rather than the prescribed divinity of the Emperor.

I wanted to reflect this duality in the painting and modeling of the miniature. I painted Frulgrim in pristine armour, untroubled by the dirt and battle around him. He is above such things. The gold is a good foil to the purple armour. I decicded to paint the inside of Fulgrims cloak cream to further highlight the rich purple of the Emperor's Chidlren Livery. I changed Fulgrim's position of the base, putting him in a more central position. I couldn't imagine Fulgrim being content on the periphery of any scene, he dominates the centre stage.

For more photos & text
Facebook

Myles

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Some great work there! :so_happy:

I still hate the Fulgrim model, but your paint job on him is exemplary! :eek:k:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the feedback guys. I really appreciate the comments. Fulgrim's face has been a point of contention whereever I have posted him.

Ok, after getting some critical feedback on Fulgrim I decided to re-shoot the miniature. The original photo's have a weird unfocussed, greeny tint to the skin tone which doesn't match the real life equivalent. So here are the second set of photographs. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The Phoenix & The Gorgon. Ferrus Manus and Fulgrim Diorama.

“I incline to Cain's heresy," he used to say quaintly: "I let my brother go to the devil in his own way.”

Blog Entry (with more photo's)
Facebook links

Phew...what a piece. This felt more like a battle than a painting exercise. This was a difficult piece to attempt - not only are both miniatures exceptionally detailed but they can act as centerpieces all by themselves. I couldn't shake the idea that both Ferrus and Fulgrim were miniature suns exerting their individual gravity on the scene. The space marines littering the base are reduced to spectators (space particles if I were to belabour the metaphor) destroyed by the two titans dueling for the fate of Mankind's future.

I have another Primarch to paint by the end of the year. I have re-created one of my previous conversions and will be painting the First Child of the Emperor.

Cheerio!

Myles

·
8,723 Posts
Awesome work! :good:

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
These models are beautifully painted. How did you get that warmth in the cream tones on fulgrim?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers for the positive feedback guys. It's nice to see a few people popping by and leaving comments.

@ Iaqiel - I used a redish brown as a base and worked up from there with bleached bone. I wanted a warmer tone to contrast with the cool purple armour.

Original Horus Conversion:

++++++++++++++

"You are like a son and together we have all but conquered the galaxy. Now the time has come for me to retire to Terra. My work as a soldier is done and now passes to you for I have great tasks to perform in my earthly sanctum. I name you Warmaster and from this day forth all of my armies and generals shall take orders from you as if the words cam from mine own mouth. But words of caution I have for you for your brother Primarchs are strong of will, of though and of action. Do not seek to change them, but use their particular strengths well. You have much work to do for there are still many words to liberate, many peoples to rescue. My trust is with you. Hail Horus! Hail the Warmaster!"

The Emperor of Mankind

The final photos of Horus, Warmaster of the Imperium. There is a full write up of the miniature here as well as a ton more pictures and inspiration file.

You can also see a new conversion of Horus Lupecal on my website. A painted version will be available soon and of course will be posted here.

Myles
LilLgend Studio
Facebook

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Of the primeval Priests assum'd power,
When Eternals spurn'd back his religion;
And gave him a place in the north,
Obscure, shadowy, void, solitary.
Eternals I hear your call gladly,
Dictate swift winged words, & fear not
To unfold your dark visions of torment.

The First Book Of Urizen, William Blake.​

I painted Aurelian's face as if it were underlit by his suit. This gives the skin a golden tone before I start painting the Scripture, but also halos the Primarchs head quite nicely. I decided to go for yellow over a more contrasting blue to represent fire (Lorgar's head is a bright yellow, the under light is organge, his armour is red and the base is gret/ black). I also had Willaim Blake's Book of Urizen plates in my head and I couldn't escape trying to represent the damnation of the character through the painting.

For more pics, analaysis and a little bit of back story check out the blog. There are also a few W.I.P's on the facebook page

Otherwise enjoy the pictures.

Myles
Lil'Legend Studio
Facebook W.I.P

·
8,723 Posts
Have a cookie :good:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@ SwedeMarine - More the merrier dude, glad to have you on board.

@ Lokideathclaw - Thank you!

]Time for a big blob of legionaires!

Luna Wolves Legion, Tenth Company, Fourth Cohort

Fourth cohort, here depicted at the Fall of Balan adopt the unusual practice of swapping their legionary symbol onto the right pauldron. This tradition follows on from their stalwart captain, Loken who wears a studded pad on the left to better deflect small arms fire. This practice can be seen to espouse the wider philosophy of the legion; of unsentimental warfare and savage battle acuity.

++++++++++++++++++++​

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.