Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
As someone who has bought every HH LE novella thus far... Things are getting a bit of a joke. I spending so much time saving to buy LE's I can't afford to buy the actual novels in between! And now $90 AUS for less than 400 pages total? I'm paying around 23cents each time I turn a page. WTF?
Then stop. I used to buy every LE novella as well but I stopped when they became a joke. They simply aren't worth the money anymore... i'm not sure they ever were really.

LotN

·
Registered
929 Posts
Yeah I'm hearing you, but each time I go to stop I hear that little man inside my head say "But you've come this far?". Which is sad, in all honestly I'd rather read my Esienhorn or Ravenor omnibus again for the fourth time than reread my HH LE's.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yeah I'm hearing you, but each time I go to stop I hear that little man inside my head say "But you've come this far?". Which is sad, in all honestly I'd rather read my Esienhorn or Ravenor omnibus again for the fourth time than reread my HH LE's.
I had the same voice, but I smothered it when I saw that I had spent over £300 on LE's, when quite frankly now I wouldn't spent a half of a third of that on the assembled LE's that I have now. They simply aren't worth it. Just think about what else you could do with that money, and then really look at the LE's and ask yourself; do I enjoy these enough to sacrifice the other stuff I could do with that money? For me the answer was HELL NO.

LotN

·
Registered
929 Posts
True. How long do we wait now to get the LE's in regular hardback? 1 year or 2?

I'm actually saving for a 2nd hand book I've found. Ravenor the Omnibus, hardcover with dust jacket, all near fine condition. $150 with postage. Damn that'd look sweet on my shelf, rare hard to find book.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

I'm actually saving for a 2nd hand book I've found. Ravenor the Omnibus, hardcover with dust jacket, all near fine condition. $150 with postage. Damn that'd look sweet on my shelf, rare hard to find book.
About that yeah. I'd rather just wait the year and get them in a normal novella format, or wait a bit longer and see if they are released in an anthology as Brotherhood of the Storm was.

LotN

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts

Really? I've never seen one. How's it look and where did you find that?

About that yeah. I'd rather just wait the year and get them in a normal novella format, or wait a bit longer and see if they are released in an anthology as Brotherhood of the Storm was.

LotN
Yup. I bought the Wolf King, simply because I hadn't bought any in a long time, so it didn't bother me so much. But I've just stopped buying the Limited Editions generally. As said, i'll just wait for the regular hardback. Hell I never take them out the dust jackets anyway.

Not to mention the fact that I have fuck all interest in Calth anymore. I'd rather read more of Istvaan than fucking Calth. Know No Fear was so god damned good, Calth was amazing. Now, it's stale beyond repair.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Got bored and bought the Unburdened.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
In my opinion they've chosen Calth for two reasons.

First; it has the standard Good Guy vs Bad Guy trope, the Ultramarines and the Word Bearers are probably the best examples of Good and Bad among the entire Legiones Astartes, so to appeal to the people who want to split the box and play two armies, they can do so and have one loyalist and one traitor army, which will also appeal to the people who want one of each rather than two Traitor armies fighting each other.

Second; it is recognizable. Calth is one of THE battles of the Horus Heresy along with Signus, Istvaan III & V and Terra. They aren't going to do a Battle of Terra boxset, Signus doesn't have two Marine armies so they won't go that route, Istvaan III only featured Traitor Legions (yes there were loyalists there but that isn't the same as a true loyalist legion) so that wouldn't be their first choice, Istvaan V is a good choice but it a true loss for the Imperium in every situation, so the scenarios would be biased towards the Traitors and there would be little room for story beyond the Traitors win. So Calth, which featured a true loyalist and a true traitor legion, which was hard fought with no clear winner beyond the Ultramarines kicking the Word Bearers off the already raped planet, which has a lot of potential for story as we've seen from BL publishing an entire anthology solely devoted to it, and is one of the battles that automatically comes to mind whenever we think of the Horus Heresy.

It was likely an easy choice on their part.

LotN
I don't question the background for the box-set, I question the value for the novellas at hand.

I saw the pricing for them in my local store, which was 20 euros roughly each, so 40 for both novellas, as with LE novellas is quite a generous offer by BLs standards considering the novellas are somewhat 200 pages each.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.