Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Halcyon Incursion
A Space Marine Roleplay

The tragedy of war is that it uses man's best to do man's worst. - Harry Fosdick

The Barabas Conflict is considered by many to be the unknown war of the Segmentum Obscurus. Despite being one of the larger conflicts in current operation, very few Imperial citizens are even aware of the Barabas Cluster, let alone the conflict taking place there. Involving elements of five space marine chapters, five chaos legions, over twenty-eight Imperial Guard regiments and hundreds of roving Chaos warbands, the Barabas Conflict has completely engulfed the eight systems of the Barabas Cluster.

The Halcyon System is not at all the only system under the Blood of Ruin's gaze, however. Late in 899999.M41, a massive expansion fleet of the Blood of Ruin made a terrifying assault on the Asmodeus system, home system of one of the Chapters involved in the Barabas conflict, the Sin-Eaters. Plowing through three inhabited Hive Worlds in the system, the fleet grew in number due to bolstering from dozens of hidden Chaos cults lying in wait in the Hive Worlds. By the time it reached Asmodeus itself, the Sin-Eater's home planet, the force composed of over two million disciplined renegades of Chaos. Like a tide of gore, the Blood of Ruin descended on Asmodeus, completely unaware of how much of a fight the Sin-Eaters would put up to save their home world.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU are the members of a bloodthirsty chapter of Space Marines known as the Sin-Eaters. The Sin-Eaters are feared by both the enemies of the Imperium and the Imperium itself due to their insane battle-lust and their macabre blood rituals. Nevertheless, they are among the fiercest and most reverent of the Space Marines, and are valued as heroes despite their fearsome reputation. You, along with the other members of the roleplay, will be portraying the members of just one of the many squads on the planet Asmodeus defending the world from the forces of Chaos. You are veteran Space Marines, servants of the Emperor and His divine sword on ten-thousand battlefields, but you will not be in for an easy fight. In your way will be hundreds, if not thousands, of raving Chaos cultists in the midst of a conflict with members of your regiments and others, not to mention Chaos Space Marine reinforcements of your sworn enemy, the Night Lords. Can you handle it?

Ok, onto the rules:

I will be portraying, along with various NPCs, your squad leader, High Chaplain Mikhail Jhonikov, Guardian of the Sacred Blood.His character sheet will be an example of how to model yours:

Name (self explanatory. The Sin-Eaters tend to have names that are either Roman or Russian in origin): Mikhail Jhonikov

Age (self-explanatory; one hundred and fifty is a good number to base around, seeing as you are Veterans): 207

Appearance (self-explanatory): Even among a Chapter of frightening warriors, Mikhail is a fearsome servant of Humanity. Standing at an imposing seven-and-a-half feet tall in his power armor, Mikhail towers even over most normal Space Marines. His black armor is decorated with embossed images of bones and bloodied saints marching off to war, and is painted with the ritual blood of his predecessor and noteworthy enemies he has killed, as is normal for his chapter. His right shoulder pad is a skull stamped with the symbol of his chapter, a fanged maw, while his left is a silver shoulder pad bearing the symbol of the Inquisition, referencing his time in the Deathwatch. His skull helmet, as traditional for his office, had two elongated canines, and behind the helmet his face is pale, gaunt, and dour, like a face a child would see in a nightmare.

Wargear (see below. Feel free to give your war gear individual names and unique appearances; you are among the chapter's elite, after all): Power Armour, Storm Bolter, Frag and Krak Grenades, The Maw of Sanguinus. The Maw of Sanguinus is a chain fist incorporating his Crozius Arcanum, as he felt the Crozius lacked the "bite" he needed for combat. The name references it's blessing during the Sacred Blood ceremony, a rite that is rare and holy indeed. The weapon is worth considerably more than Mikhail himself, and his squad is entrusted to choose the Maw over the Chaplain's body, if necessary.

Personality (self-explanatory): Mikhail is a somber individual and an extremely devout servant of the Emperor; it is said that he has carved entire books of the Scriptorum Imperium into his body lest he forget their significance. He chooses to preach from experience, quoting both verses from various religious sources along with his own battlefield experiences. He is a savage fighter as well, and he inspires his squad to victory again and again.

Background (self-explanatory. All of you are Veterans with decades of expeience; elaborate on this and what you may gave learned in that time): Mikhail was appointed to the office of High Chaplain quite recently. His predecessor, High Chaplain Arkuliae, was killed only a year ago on the sulfur fields of Jjojos fighting the Eldar of the Biel-Tan craftworld. As such, Mikhail is a bit uneasy with his new officer. He has yet to gain the respect of the Sin-Eater's stern Chaptermaster, Methuselah of the Bloodied Fang, and seeks to prove his worth to the other high-ranking members of the Chapter by going above and beyond the doings of his predecessor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Bit of Information on the Sin-Eaters:

Wargear:

Other Other: For EXPERIENCED RPers, I am adding a tenth slot. This slot is not a standard Sin-Eater but is instead a minor Blood of Ruin commander. You will be RPing from his perspective, commanding Chaos Troops and for the most part, not interacting with the others directly. This means you will have some influence about what happens to the other characters based on your posts. Please PM me for more information.

Well, since my last RP pretty much sputtered and died, I assumed the best possible thing would be to start a new one. I think the problem with my previous RP is it lacked direction. Therefore, for this RP I will be following the Epic RP format, I.e. the kind where the GM takes a more laid-back role and addresses all of the members individually, like darkreever's The Claw RP. In addition, I will start the action early with some serious combat almost from the start.

I will be accepting a maximum of TEN people in this RP. No more, and once the RP has started, there are no more entrants.

I can usually post everyday; however, this is not always the case, especially on weekends. I will try to post as much as I can. I won't start this RP until at the earliest the 6th of July, as I am in Europe right now and Internet access is very limited for me.

Now, then...will you heed the call?

Accepted RPers:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shall detail his history more in the action thread, I just wanted to get him up, hope its alright :)
Perfectly good, mate. ;) I hope to get some others from my first RP, notably deathbringer.
I'll jump in, tell me what you think.
Eh, he's alright, I suppose. I would like for you to detail his background more; basically you're just saying that hes funny but serious and that he's good at killing. Also, Narsil is a sword from Lord of the Rings; may want to change that.

Name:Alexsandr Lev
There is so much wrong with this character that I really need to adress this stuff one at a time.
The left side of his skull is flat because a Chaos Marine stepped on him.
If this actually happened, it would either do nothing or kill him instantly; it's not like his head is made of Silly Putty or something like that. A Space Marine weighs at least a ton; if he was wearing his helmet it would do nothing, not to mention be in no way notable and if he was bare-helmeted his head would explode.
He changes the lens color of his helmet to purple because he like the way it looks.
A: How does he do this? He's no Techpriest.
B: How did he get away with this? He would probably be given pennance, expulsion, or in the case of the Sin-Eaters, execution for this. He has some control over his armor but changing Chapter Heraldry is a giant no-no.
On his fight knuckles he wrote the word 'Pain' in white.
On the shin of his left leg he wrote 'Your ass Here' with an arrow pointing down to his foot.
Fun loving marine, he doesn't usually take off his helmet, even in time of peace (he got tired of guys calling him 'Flat head').
He's not a ganster, for god's sake, he's a SPACE MARINE. "Your ass Here?" That sounds like something an Angry Marine would do, not a devout servant of the Emperor. And Space Marines don't tease their pals. Even if they did they wouldn't give him a stupid nickname like Flathead.
Jumping off Alexsandr wondered why he had managed to kill the behemoth so easyly. Then he saw Feodors' body. The Broodlord had been preoucpied consuming the Librarian.
Preoccupied. Seriously. Like a Broodlord is going to munch on a tasty Spehss Marheen while another one is beating the shit out of him. The thing has four arms, for christ's sake, he could just swat the marine off.

Look, I'm sorry if I seemed a bit harsh, but you might be a bit new to RPing and might not understand the atmosphere enough. Don't get me wrong, I don't completely hate your character (I digged how you killed the Broodlord) but it's just so out of touch with this RP that it either needs to be rewritten from the ground up or scratched entirely.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------

Slots left: 8 (as soon as emporershand89 edits his character)

Please note as well I am making a slight adjustment to the main post. For EXPERIENCED RPers, I am adding a tenth slot. This slot is not a standard Sin-Eater but is instead a minor Blood of Ruin commander. You will be RPing from his perspective, commanding Chaos Troops and for the most part, not interacting with the others directly. This means you will have some influence about what happens to the other characters based on your posts. Please PM me for more information.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Just one thing Snowy: Lucifer? Lucifer is Christian-Satanic, a fallen angel. Not exactly Roman:wink:
Latin to be exact, so it still works; literally, it's "Bringer of Light" :wink:
Name: Tacticus Romus
You're character's good enough for approval with one exception: The name "Tacticus" made me die inside a little. Please, could you just make a bit more...subtle? :laugh:

Hows that?
Good enough I suppose.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I snazzied up the main post a bit with spoiler tags (which I didn't know were compatible with this forum!) and a picture of a typical Sin-Eaters marine using the Bolter and Chainsword's Space Marine Painter v 9.0.

Slots left: 6 (as soon as emporershand89 edits his character)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
(Hope this is ok for my first ever creation here.)
Good enough for approval I suppose. I'd like for you to detail your war gear a bit more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slots Left: 5 (as soon as emporershand89 edits his character)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just saw Stillios' character :p
Name: Aurio Daverin
He's good enough for approval with one exception; tone downt the height a little. Eight and a half feet is Terminator sized, far too tall for power armour.
Scaithainn, the image doesn't work I am afraid, at least not for me.
Hmmm....I tried updating it, it should work now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I can't believe I missed this but lightning claws are now on the wargear list!

Slots left: 4

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
And here we go, lets see what you think of this character:
He's a-ok for approval; I have to be honest, I'm flattered that you're taking an interest in my humble RP. I'm interpreting it, however, that your character is younger than the others and has the standard wargear, so I might build off of that when the action thread rolls along.

As far as writing books, if only I could; its much, much easier to come up with a few characters or to come up with an outline for a story and have others fill in large portions of the gaps. Writing a story, even a short one, yeah if I could do that effectively I'd be a very happy person.
Tell me about it....I'm working on getting my Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing and let me tell you, a writing degree is much harder than it sounds....last simester my final was a 40,000 word novella :suicide:

Ok Scathy, I feel bad about your last RP (it seems first RPs are always cursed :grin: ) so I'll give this a shot, if you'll have me.

Hope it's ok... the power spear was really because how he threw the chainsword in the space battle, and his name also goes with it.
A-ok for this one, Farseer. Just keep in mind, nobody escapes the bloodlust....hehehehehe....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slots Left: 2

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sorry about the late update, I haven't had internet for the last three days.

emporershand89, your character is good enough.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Although I appreciate the anticipation, it might be a bit more than the sixth, as I just realized the 6th is my birthday :shok:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
There's still a slot open for one Space Marine and, if an experienced RPer is interested, a Blood of Ruin commander role!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, excellent, the final member! You're in completely with one small exception: Regarding your armour, there wouldn't be any sermons by Mikhail etched in because he's only been Chaplain for a year.

komanko: Like I said in the PM, it just doesn't seem that you have enough RP experience for that role, and it was really only optional anyway. No hard feelings.

As for the role itself, if nobody claims it within 24 hours the RP will start normally. I will begin writing the introduction post immediately.

Start your engines!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
A year? You'll see....:wink:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
dark angel is correct; the updates are merely in the order I saw the characters.

As for what Arkuliae looks like, he didn't look that much different from Mikhail himself. He had similar armour, the Maw of Sanguinus, and as for personal appearance most likely looked pretty similar (Anglo-Saxonic, pale, etc). A lot of it is up to you, however.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I am planning on an update but I'm waiting on Farseer Darvaleth to post. I've already PM'd him telling him he's the one I'm waiting on, so hopefully he'll get the message.

And no, this is far from dead :victory:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
This was the PM that I just recieved from Farseer Darvaleth.

Farseer Darvaleth said:
Dear all GMs,

I am very sorry for my current state; I have been packing for some time and so found it difficult to reach a computer. I am going to Cornwall for several weeks, as of tomorrow. As such I will be unable to post from tomorrow until, most likely, around the 23rd of August. I know this is a very big gap, and I appreciate that you will want to move on your RPs. I bid you good luck, and give you full control of my respective characters; I am most disappointed that I have to miss it, but there is no internet access where I am going. You may kill me off, control me, just forget about me entirely if you wish. You are all my respected GMs and I leave it to you to decide what is best.

I am sorry for such late notice, and I wish you all the best of luck. I am sure all your RPs will be great successes.

Farseer D
Under these circumstances I will simply control Farseer's character until he returns. The update is coming soon!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
That's a valid point. Methinks that is what I'll do.

By the way, I'm actually working on the next update as we speak! I haven't been able to update it as I've been having a very busy weekend (preparing for a party and doing stuff with my girlfriend) but I should get the update up today! :victory:

EDIT: Make that tomorrow :ireful2:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Just as a head's up I have the day off tomorrow so I will (with luck) have the next update ready tomorrow!

As for the missing RPer's, for now I'll simply use the excuse that they're trapped under the rubble of the Fortress-Monestary and they'll have to "dig their way out" later.

Cheers and happy RPing!

Scathainn :victory:

EDIT: Wow, for once my update is early instead of late :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Just to reiterate people, there is an update.

It's been there for almost four days... :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Just to alert everyone I will be going camping in the Cascade Mountains for a week next week, starting this Sunday. If Captain Stillios posts before then I can squeeze in another update which will give everyone an opportunity to post while I'm gone.

Cheers, and also welcome back emperorshand89!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hey guys,
Just to give you guys an update on what's been going on. I got back from my camping trip last week. I was going to post the next day (Monday), but I experienced a tragedy within my immediate family I don't feel I should have to elaborate on. Needless to say, this might explain my relative lack of posting. But anyways, I'm back and better than ever now!

I need to finish my Heresy Online Fiction Competition entry first (crunch time!) but once everybody's posted I'll have the next update up. This RP is far from gone, people!

Cheers,

PS: My friend drew an awesome picture of Mikhail! Check it out on his deviantArt: Mikhail

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Just to inform everyone I finished my Heresy Online 2010 fiction competition entry yesterday so I'll be working on the update soon. Also, in case you haven't heard emperorshand89 has been banned permanently for various shenanigans so I'll have to rework that bit.

Cheers,

PS: Please check out my entry if you have time, I appreciate all feedback (complimentary or critical) because I am, after all, trying to get a degree in creative writing :biggrin:

EDIT: I'll get the update up and running once The Psyker has posted, as I believe he is the only one yet to post.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.