Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this subject has been discussed before, or if there is an actual official source for this, but I wanted to know which legion do you think did the best during the Great Crusade?

I'm not just talking about number of worlds Imperialised, but other factors aswell.

Consider things like the number of troops required to maintain order, methods utilised to encourage subservience other than outright war, how thoroughly conquered planets took to Imperial creed and if they needed serveral beatings before they finally complied.

Who do you think had the Greatest Crusade?

·
Registered
335 Posts
well the obvious first answer that springs to mind is the Luna Wolves, Horus did get the title of "Warmaster" and he did oversee the whole great crusade after the emperors leave, but second to the Luna Wolves i would have to say Ultramarines or Word Bearers, Smurfs because they already occupied Ultramar system for ages (which was very succesful and strong) and they were one of the largest legions, word bears because they also were one of the biggest legions but they put so much determination into converting planets to the imperium.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I know I'll be shouted down for this by his haters but the answer is Roboute Guilliman and his Ultramarines.

They didn't have the number of victories that the Luna Wolves, Dark Angels, Imperial Fists, or Space Wolves had but every world they encountered was incorporated into the Imperium and became a world loyal to the Emperor with as little death and damage to infrastructure as possible. Where the Death Guard and World Eaters left blasted wastelands in their wakes the UM left thriving hubs of civilisation.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Baron Spikey is correct. The Ultramarines had the most success during the Crusade because they rarely, if ever, had to invade a world and conquer it. Most worlds welcomed Guilliman and his ways of life as they sought such disciple and honour. The Luna Wolves had more victories but they left many worlds as destroyed shells and had very bad luck when it came to first contacts with other human colonies. The Ultramarines had very good fortune in that regard and as far as we know, never had to destroy a planet's civilisation to bring it to compliance.

A small side note. I like the Ultramarines. There I said it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I know I'll be shouted down for this by his haters but the answer is Roboute Guilliman and his Ultramarines.

They didn't have the number of victories that the Luna Wolves, Dark Angels, Imperial Fists, or Space Wolves had but every world they encountered was incorporated into the Imperium and became a world loyal to the Emperor with as little death and damage to infrastructure as possible. Where the Death Guard and World Eaters left blasted wastelands in their wakes the UM left thriving hubs of civilisation.
Here Here I agree with you there for sure. :drinks:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Worlds conquered would be the luna wolves, they were the fastest and most successful, Culture would be the word bearers, they spread the message of the emperor and turned the world to be utterly compliant. For showing respect to the worlds and culture would be the thousand sons, they tried to preserve as much as possible, which caused disagreements with the death guard and space wolves

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Worlds conquered would be the luna wolves, they were the fastest and most successful, Culture would be the word bearers, they spread the message of the emperor and turned the world to be utterly compliant. For showing respect to the worlds and culture would be the thousand sons, they tried to preserve as much as possible, which caused disagreements with the death guard and space wolves
The Word Bearers left loyal worlds but they gutted them in the process, creating a loyalty based on fear rather than anything else, and it's said that a large number of the Luna Wolves victories can be attributed to the Raven Guard's action which Horus then took the credit for.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I think the Ultramarines truly are one of top contenders, alongside the Luna Wolves, Thousand Sons, Emperor's Children, Imperial Fists and Blood Angels in my opinion. Although there isn't much evidence to suggest that any of these trumped the Ultramarines. I guess overall, it depends on how you class success. For example considering the basic goal of the Great Crusade was to reunite humanity under the Iron Rule of the Emperor - in this sense the Luna Wolves were the most successful (conquering the most worlds), but their worlds were never as compliant or valued as the worlds conquered by the Ultramarines. Overall it just depends on how you want to evaluate the differing Legions and their styles and accomplishments.

Not necessarily my view, but im going to throw Konrad Curze and his Night Lords out there just to spice this up a bit! They shed their humanity, became the monsters needed to destroy monsters, the evil needed to vanquish evil. I think they are often overlooked in terms of Legio Astartes contribution to the Crusade. If some accounts are to be believed, Night Haunter was needed by the Emperor to bring many worlds and systems into compliance, acting as the embodiment of fear and evil - which the Emperor could not have been seen to be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts