Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
There's already a dodgy fluff thread that was created fairly recently. You should check that one out. It shouldn't be hard to find.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Pretty much every mention of marneus calgar, such as killing an avatar, something Fulgrim had great difficulty in doing and even then required a deamon blade
Yup, Fulgrim needed a cheap shot to take down an avatar. Though, for a manifestation of a god, that avatar was pretty fuckin' stupid. I mean, Fulgrim basically used a modified version of the old 'look behind you' trick and the ginormous flaming moron fell for it. That right there seems like some bad fluff to me. Sure it was a daemon blade, but you'd think a being such as an avatar of khaine would be above falling for such a lame-ass ploy.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The Avatar is used to show the strength and heroics of the Marines- taking one down is almost impossible and this is shown in the story. Only 40k fans could take the opposite message away, that Avatars are easy to kill.
Who said Avatars are easy to kill. The whole point I was trying to make was that even a primarch had to fight dirty to beat one. My only problem was the fact that the avatar for a god of war fell so cheaply (exactly because they're not supposed to be easy to kill) which is why I said that that particular bit of fluff was a bit weak to me. If you think logically, the moment Fulgrim threw his sword in the air the Avatar should have stabbed him. There, fight over and they could have destroyed the blade afterwards.
Frankly, I don't give a fuck about Calgar. If you take away his bionic limbs and power armour, Marneus Calgar is nothing but a giant, howling pillow.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Angel of Blood hit the nail squarely on the head. Kudos, now how the frak do I add reputation to them?
If you wanna give someone rep, look at the top right corner of the box of their post, the option is in between quote and report. From there it's fairly straightforward. Click on the +rep option, select how much rep you wanna add, give a reason (though this isn't required) and then confirm.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Here is one point that everyone overlooks. The sword is the source of fulgrim's corruption. Eldrad saw that and so could the avatar. Destroy the sword and the corruption of the Emps children would be stopped. Thats why the avatar was fixated on the sword. And the sword, being sentient knew it.
Firstly, the blade wasn't the sole reason for the EC's corruption. The temple on Laeran also had a major influence on their corruption. This is proven by the fact that only Fulgrim ever wielded that blade but he wasn't the only one that turned into a pervy fruitcake, all the other marines who accompanied him into that temple suffered similar sypmtoms.
As for the Avatar recognising the threat of the daemon blade, a God of War must have had the basic deductive skill to figure out that if you wanna make the blade vulnerable, take out its wielder. I mean, the blade was evil and everything but, on its own, it's still only a fucking sword. It's not like it could fight the Avatar on its own. Which again is why I say the Avatar should have killed Fulgrim first and destroyed the blade when he was sure he could take the time to do it properly.
Plus, even if they had destroyed the blade, I'm pretty sure Fulgrim still would have told them to fuck off. He didn't trust them from the beginning, they told him something about one if his closest siblings that he had a hard time believing to say the least, plus they attacked him and would have destroyed his newest toy. So sword or no sowrd, he probably still wouldn't have warned anyone about the heresy, thinking that the Eldar were merely trying to sow dissent within the ranks of the Imperium.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I love it how every thinks that Marneus Calgar killing a Avatar is incredibly unrealistic, but Dante killing Skarbrand is completely logical.
Then we should probably also mention Njal Stormcaller bitch-slapping another bloodthirster (not to mention the fact that it was killed by a psychic attack, something that the brass armour of khorne is supposed to render it immune to). Man, for the god of rage, death, war etc. khorne's most powerful servants are certainly portrayed as a bunch of pussies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts