Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Unforgiven
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've all been there. You're reading your new BL book, freshly minted codex, or just browsing through lexicanum...

and you read something that totally doesn't jive with your understanding of 40k.

Maybe it's something small, like the description of a battle that just doesn't mesh with the way you think a faction fought. Or maybe it's an entire book series, while being cannon, is just written in such a way that you discount it entirely. "There is no way the Ultramarines would do THAT..."

So, what are your Fluff Nightmares? What stands out to you as something that goes against your 40k? Why?

I'll start with the rather infamous Blood Raven book line, with a specific instance being the "Make a Marine in a few days" story line. At least for me, there is no way you can just slap all the organs in and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
There's already a dodgy fluff thread that was created fairly recently. You should check that one out. It shouldn't be hard to find.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I find any space marine article where the few face the thousands since in game 20 ork boyz are enough to mug a 10 man tac squad.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
I find any space marine article where the few face the thousands since in game 20 ork boyz are enough to mug a 10 man tac squad.
This is what is known as balancing the game so its never truly one sided. If you ever play something like inquisitor, a space marine has strength and toughness easily four/five times greater than regular characters.

Think about it, as alien as an ork, wearing heavy armour and wielding armour piercing weapons vs an ork with cobbled together gear and next to no armour. Seems pretty reasonable that in a straight fight, a ten man squad of marines can deal with a mob twice that size.

As for the thread, for me its something you tend to see more in fan made stuff. What really makes me roll my eyes or cringe would be when you see some captured loyalists escape the eye after years, or some traitors turning loyal, and then going on to join a chapter, or to even form their own chapter, like its no big deal.

I mean come on, new chapter requires a founding, which requires the sanction of the high lords; and at this time there is no doubt they would sooner destroy a potentially tainted marine than give him authority over a thousand more marines. At least they wouldn't even consider listening or trusting him until a number of stringent, likely fatal, purity tests.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Pretty much every mention of marneus calgar, such as killing an avatar, something Fulgrim had great difficulty in doing and even then required a deamon blade

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Yes, but Calgar is the God of War!

·
Registered
228 Posts
The blood angels dex and that cron thing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
yep, those pissing wookies, still surviving :p

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Sometimes... inacurate depictions certain battles. For me, the worst one was the Iron Cage in Lexicanum and I've also seen this in other 40K wiki's shows that it was a battle that depicted the strife of Rogal Dorn. Though his forces got destroyed and they used their own brothers as literal human shields... and Perturabo got elevated to a Daemon Prince... and Rogal Dorn lost all those geneseed to the Iron Warriors, the Imperial Fists triumphed. To me at least, it makes more sense to deny it ever happened then to lay claim to a lie thats just crying out BULLSHIT.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Pretty much every mention of marneus calgar, such as killing an avatar, something Fulgrim had great difficulty in doing and even then required a deamon blade
Yup, Fulgrim needed a cheap shot to take down an avatar. Though, for a manifestation of a god, that avatar was pretty fuckin' stupid. I mean, Fulgrim basically used a modified version of the old 'look behind you' trick and the ginormous flaming moron fell for it. That right there seems like some bad fluff to me. Sure it was a daemon blade, but you'd think a being such as an avatar of khaine would be above falling for such a lame-ass ploy.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Which if anything makes Calgars defeat of it even more absurd. Tbh its just the Ultramarines in general for me. They just can't do anything wrong, every other major chapter i can think of has had major defeats or really shitty things happen to them or are flawed in some way. Not the smurfs though, literally everything they do is perfect, evrythings a win, fuck guilliaman died yet they still HAD to add a little tid-bit in that some believe hes healing, sure he's not but the very fact that it exists pisses me off

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Bloody hell, not the Calgar-Avatar thing again; could you bother to read the fluff? The Avatar has walked through the combined fire of most of the Chapter, shrugged off the attacks by countless Marines and is already damaged. Calgar does the only thing he can do, as it has just cut a swathe through his battle brothers, and goes out to attack it and try to stop it before it, single-handedly, wins the battle for the Eldar. Here, as well as capitalising on the damage already done, he gets his ass kicked.
It comes down to a last second, do-or-die attack that finally kills the Avatar (thanks only to the fact he wears a Primarch's Gauntlets) but leaves Calger almost dead. The rest of the Chapter gather around him and protect him until they can get him away; it's so close that killing the Avatar almost kills Calgar. It wasn't some easy, stroll in the park victory, a living metal god killed with one punch. It was a fight that was only won because of the damage already done to the Eldar God, and the Gauntlets Guilliman used to wear.
The Avatar is used to show the strength and heroics of the Marines- taking one down is almost impossible and this is shown in the story. Only 40k fans could take the opposite message away, that Avatars are easy to kill.

GFP

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
At AoB,
Except for a major defeat against both the Emperor's Children and the alpha legion, the loss of 90% of their number during the scourge, the loss of their home-world during the first tyranic war, and the steady loss of worlds due the continued tyranid incursions into the ultramar.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Well in the fluff it explicitly states that the terminators efforts and the heavy weapons did nothing but make it angry, it shrugged off the terminators attacks and didn't slow it at all, it doesn't say its been damaged at all, and it wasnt the entire chapter shooting it, they had alot of other eldar to shoot aswell.

And yet i dont see any other chapter masters or chapters doing these uber heroic deeds comparable to the primarchs themselves

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
When he bitch slaps a bloodthirster and mind-fucks a Titan, maybe, you will have a case, but at this point your just getting bitchy for no reason. He won by the skin of his teeth and only because of the gauntlets of the ultramar.

And I believe, at some point, Grimnar fought of Magnus the Red.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Ah sorry the Alpha Legion, 1. The Emperors children encounter had never gone into any detail other than Guilliman finally did somethin wrong. The Tyranid wars are still shown as huge victories, Macragge wasnt lost either. And where is this that they lost 90% of their chapter?

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Bitchy for no reason? the entire point of this thread is to vent which fluff you don't like, and many, many others have a problem with the Avatar fight

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
During the scourge they took huge casualties trying to hold the imperium together. The tyranic war was only a victory because they got backup.

And yes, bitchy. I, and it would seem GFP, don't think there is a valid point to your argument. If you feel something is wrong you should at least be able to prove it to some degree.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts