Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two brand new extracts are up on the Black Library. The next installment of the Horus Heresy The First Heretic by Mr Aaron Dembski-Bowden and Firedrake by Mr Nick Kyme. Enjoy them, I know I did.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/f/first-heretic-the.pdf

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/f/firedrake.pdf

·
Registered
10 Posts
I liked the extract from The First Heretic, even though Lorgar did seem a bit like a prat, throwing a tantrum in front of his whole legion.
With the Imperiums secular outlook he should have know what was coming...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not really sure which book I'm more excited to read: ADB has really impressed me so far with Soul Hunter, but Salamander was one of the best SM books I've read thusfar.. :headbutt:

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I liked the extract from The First Heretic, even though Lorgar did seem a bit like a prat, throwing a tantrum in front of his whole legion.
Im amazed he was able to stay cool for as long as he did. I would have greeted Guilliman by hitting him, and throttled Malcador within an inch of his life.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Should he? He's crusaded for a century, killing billions, raising the second-largest Legion in the Imperium - literally a hundred years of bloodshed - creating worlds that consider the Emperor as a god, without once being told to stop before now. And from his view now, after a century of loyalty and effort, he's being utterly humiliated in the most stark, offensive, unfair way - while his entire system of belief is being dismantled and he's told his entire life has been a lie.

Perspective is everything.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Should he? He's crusaded for a century, killing billions, raising the second-largest Legion in the Imperium - literally a hundred years of bloodshed - creating worlds that consider the Emperor as a god, without once being told to stop before now. And from his view now, after a century of loyalty and effort, he's being utterly humiliated in the most stark, offensive, unfair way - while his entire system of belief is being dismantled and he's told his entire life has been a lie.

Perspective is everything.
Just give away the whole plot why don't ya Aaron!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing thats somewhat troubling about the actions undertaken by Malcador and Guilliman. They trashed that colony because it worshipped the Emperor... so what has happened all the other worlds that Lorgar brought into compliance?.

They wouldn't kill all those worlds, would they?.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If all the worlds that Lorgar converted were destroyed then its not surprise he turned to Chaos. They appreciate hard work in their name, not despise it. And if your doing it wrong they tell you right away, rather then let you keep going.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I can't say I enjoyed either of the extracts if I am honest, none of them kept me interested after the first six or so PDF pages....Though, when I scanned over, I was glad to see Argel Tal (Who, if I am remembering the correct character, is the bodyguard of Lorgar according to Collected Visions.) and the inclusion of He'stan in Firedrake is also nice! I guess I need to await for the actual novels, now then..

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
If all the worlds that Lorgar converted were destroyed then its not surprise he turned to Chaos. They appreciate hard work in their name, not despise it. And if your doing it wrong they tell you right away, rather then let you keep going.
Thats whole whole point really.

The Big E is like jesus: helps those who help themselves.

Chaos gods more like chuck norris? He's your friend, no round house kick to the balls. If he's pissed of at you then standby...standby...WALLOP!

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Was definetly interested in the First Heretic extract. I agree that its quite justified to see how Lorgar reacted. Like its been said, Lorgar based evrything on his worship of the Emperor, he wrote an entire book on it which then became the founding ideology of the Emperor of Man in modern 40k, all the planets he brought to compliance were the most loyal of all imperial worlds due to his faith and methods. To have all of that torn out from under him in such a brutal fashion. I'm suprised he gave them chance to land.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If i read The First heretic i will have to start a word bearers army...curse you BL authors and your abliltiy to control my purchses!

Other wise its nice to see the emperor being put in the spotlight and ive been waiting for lorgars story for queit a time as i have always seen him depictied as the most hated of the fallen primarchs next to horus (or maybe above), and i am loving the stories behind the fall of many of the other primarchs. Makes you feel sorry for some of them (Konrad Curze, Fulgrim,Lorgar,Magnus the red, Aragon) putting a face behind the monsters. Thank you to all BL authors who put forward their best efforts to make this series epic.:victory:

·
Registered
138 Posts
The more I read HH, the more I side with certain Primarchs, these perfectly imperfect MEN, are reflections of the Emperor. And honestly, I believe he is under the impression that they are extensions of his will and can basically run forever doing perfectly fine like a nuclear clock.

They are human, they were raised/interacted with humans, and man is but the sum of his expereinces.

The Emp is a total failure for not seeing this. But then, he is so focused on secrets and his great works that he really only has eyes for his only son. The Son who laid him low.

Guilliman is a ....... I really wish Alpha Legion infiltrates Mccragge and takes the body of that git.

As for Emp, that corpse god, sowed the seeds of his own demise. If he had spent less time scheming and more time realising he didn't have automations but SONS, he would have been finished the Crusade.

I have long since suspected, and has been proven the more HH books I read that the Emp is basically just as bad as the Chaos gods in that he really cared nothing about the individual, including his own sons.

After claiming to "let in the Light" and having a problem with Assasinating his Fav son, he and his cronies had no problems assasinating Night Haunter. What Magnus did was FAR worse in terms of damage than destroying a planet that was gone bad, and becuase Emp knew he needed him alive to be the battery for the Golden Throne, he sent that mongrel to capture him.

I applaud Magnus, the only thing he should have done differently was destroy the entire Space Wolves fleet from space.

They are all boundless hypocrites and the state of the Imperium is a reflection of thier unfettered hubris and delusion.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Guilleman is my least liked primarch, and to be honest I've always been quite disapointed at how much the Ultramarines have benefitted more than any other legion after the heresy. Not to mention the fanaticsim the current Imperium is in after the Emperor threw away his most loyal son. So it actually put a smile on my face to see Logar punch him in the face.

Im amazed he was able to stay cool for as long as he did. I would have greeted Guilliman by hitting him, and throttled Malcador within an inch of his life.
I agree. I'm actually kind of tired of Logar being looked at as the bitch of the Heresy. The one who started it all and how his fanaticism destroyed the Imperium. I actually think this will be one of the most looked at pieces of the Heresy even if its not good (no offense ADB) and it will be due to the insight of the first primarch and Legion that turned to chaos. I think its gonna be looked at as a "who really betrayed who" type outlook.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
The Emp is a total failure for not seeing this.
I could not agree with you more. The Emperor played favorites whether he intended to or not.
Examples:
Perturabo: Go split your legion and work on the long sieges.
Dorn: Come and be my pretorians at Terra.

Angron: I don't have time for your rebellion and buddies, your commen with me. Screw them.
Space Wolves: I can stay for all these contests and a fight just prove I'm your dad.

Vulkan: I will stay and waste time doing your "kill a lizard contest" instead of doing the crusade.
Mortarion: im just going to ruin your whole parade and kill the tyrant that you've spent so long trying to kill.

I could go on.

Guilliman is a ....... I really wish Alpha Legion infiltrates Mccragge and takes the body of that git.
Oh yes, haha, but its harder than you'd think. The Daemon Prince M'kar of the Word Bearers and Honsou of the Iron Warriors tried to destroy a weapon and The Savior of Calth's grave. I would imagine Guilliman's body is a lot more secure. I wonder if Mkar will be in this book, but I'm thinken Graham McNeil kind of just made him up. So :(

As for Emp, that corpse god, sowed the seeds of his own demise. If he had spent less time scheming and more time realising he didn't have automations but SONS, he would have been finished the Crusade.
I personally don't understand how he kissed some of his Son's asses and then totally screwed over the other half. So yes, the seeds of his demise.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I personally don't understand how he kissed some of his Son's asses and then totally screwed over the other half. So yes, the seeds of his demise.
I think as much as I displike him as a person, that he is just that a person. He had favourites cause he was human at his core.

I know lots of parents who are blind to the favourite kids totally screwing them over, and they try and try and forgive and forgive.

Only diff is that Emp was no where as lenient with the other sons when they messed up.

I really think Horus was the only "Son" in his eyes.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts