Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I decided I wanted to expand my 40k experience and pick up a marine army - something easy and fun to convert/paint. I wanted to play Salamanders, but then the new SM codex came out ... and now everyone is playing Salamanders. Goddamn.

So the Fire Lizards chapter was born, a Salamanders successor, to make up for the fact that every marine player and their mother is running the green buggers.

Some of you saw the Inquisitor I posted a while back, he'll be running with this army mostly, if you didn't see him before here's a shot for good measure:

I decided I wanted to run Librarians as my HQ most of the time, so I converted one up out of the Marine Captain box set, along with some other bits I had around. Note: He's standing on a sprue because he has no base yet, just wires out the bottom of his feet

Front

Back

Side

Then I had a spare lightning claw lying around in my bitz box ... and I decided to whip together a captain out of standard plastic marine parts. Of course a single Lightning claw is no good, so I did my best to sculpt a second. This one is still WIP since I ran out of GS and am waiting for the next batch to come in.

Front

Side

Back

Right

His cloak needs to be finished and scaled, the same as the front, and the LC is still missing the rest of the power cabling near his elbow, but it's mostly finished. Both models have custom powerplants, with the top vents replaced with Saurus heads (not original I know, but looks so awesome I couldn't pass it up).

The last for today is the sternguard sarge, Not much done to him, just a greenstuffed robe and helmet. I think I saw an older version helmet that looked like that at some point, and decided the sternguard vets were a good place to put the older style armor. Also, he has magnetized arms as you can see in the pictures.

Front

Side

Face

Different Arm Set

That's all for today. C&C is much appreciated, I'm always looking to improve my work

-Chin

·
The Yellow King
890 Posts
your work with green stuff is awe inspiring definatly have some rep... and i will be watching closely

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys

No real work done yet. Still waiting on the greenstuff before I can do anything useful.

I have some concept art drawn up for the Daemon Prince that's going to occupy this thread soon. I drew up a few sketches, let my brother pick the one he liked best. Here it is:

I know on different threads I said I was gonna use feathered wings .... yeah ok, well the 'customer' didn't like that sketch so much. So he's gonna end up a cross between a huge noise marine/raptor/ahnold.

And although it's isn't drawn in on this photo, I'm pretty sure that the circle in the slaanesh-mark-sword will get some tubing of it's own extending out of his arm, and a massive speaker in it. Not a for real speaker ... but I'll do my best.

Good? Bad? Ugly?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
What about, instead of a sword, a guitar shaped object?

or a massive Double bass :p

on a serious note, the sketch is pretty awesome. I like the way the jetpack is one with the body.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like the GS work you have done. I haven't been so bold as to try it yet. keep up the good work. I'll be watching for the painted stuff.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Green stuff finally came in ... I swear US post is retarded. On the tracking info, I can see that it took one day to get from Michigan to St Louis .... and then it sat there for 5 days before they delivered it.

Anyway, finished the tubing on the captain's LC, and put scales on his cloak.

He's not getting his powerplant until I paint him up, so that I don't frig up the details on the pack or cloak.

Started sculpting the base armiture of the DP, but then got sidetracked. Also, does anyone know how to cut brass piping without a power tool? My dremel isn't in this state ...

That's just the lower half of his body, so I expect him to end up as one massive mofo.

Got a box of terminators in, decided one would become a libbie with SS.

Here's the librarian so far, no robes on him yet.

And the Storm Shield so far

He'll get some appropriate robes at some point ...
Also, if you can see it this is going to become a heavy flamer/ass cannon man. Check out his goggles.

And lastly, a full shot of the army just so you know exactly how much crap I have to paint after I run out of things to convert or sculpt.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hmm, you're lucky you only have that to paint! :victory:
Some very cool conversions there, like the sternguard sarge, may be simple, but oh, did he get a nice look or what?!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Librarian consuming my time

K, so After finally getting the green stuff in, I've discovered that it has a slightly different ... feel ... than the GW stuff. Looks the same, but it ends up being much LESS sticky when first applied. But if I add more yellow to it, it starts coming apart when I work it (almost like it has very little internal adhesion or something). Regardless, I have been working on the Termie/SS Librarian, Pics are below.

Librarian

His shield, newly completed

His spear - Look closely. I am calling it the Aquilar Spear, but that's a working title.

The base. It will end up looking like rusty steel/industrial ruins, with snow. This will match the snow/industrial modular board I am building with a friend at the end of the summer.

This is what the finished product will look like

I want to paint the separate pieces before he goes together, to make sure I don't botch it.

The only problem so far is the skull with wings on the font of the psychic hood. If you look closely you can see that it isn't there in the last two pics ... cause it fell off. I'm torn between trying to find a better way to make it stay, and just forgetting it. Opinions?

-chin

·
The Yellow King
890 Posts
it looks amazingly good i love the spear so much (spear of the imperium?) i think you should leave the skull aquila off it looks just as good without it... (i think better!)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Man that librarian is going to look BA when he gets some paint. it looks great now. and i feel the same way you feel about people jumoping on the band wagon for sallies. ive seen the boyscouts(ultramarines) played with vulkan rules. but I like they way your army is coming along. and i like the successor chapter route something different.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Great conversions all of them, keep up the good work!
Apparently I must spread more rep before giving you some so youll have to do with nice words for now:wink:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Needs more Killy

First off.

CONVERSION CONTEST

go vote if you haven't yet
and make sure you look for my inquisitor :D
/shameless plug

But back on subject
Built some more and pondered when I was gonna finish buying paint so I could start laying color on some of this plastic. As it stands, I currently own 11 pots, and I'm going to see if I can do my models with just those paints, plus the wash set and black and white :D lol.

But anyway, stuff I built for today

Dreadnought got taken out of the box, I decided that the generic CC weapon wasn't .. deadly enough. For my marines. See below for details. He is also gonna get a termie-style heraldry plate, you can see the start of it.

Dread

The green stuff on the end of the arm is gonna get sanded into a blade for the spear. The extra spears were to make it more killy, I don't give a damn if it looks chaos-y or not. It's made to kill shit.

On the body

Lastly, an objective marker and a homing beacon I threw together for fun

that's all for today folks. C&C appreciated, as always

-chin

1 - 20 of 60 Posts