Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came to my attention while reading through hippypancakes Old Marines thread.

My knowledge on the Dark Angles is practically no existent because I never got into them as a playable force but in regards to the "Fallen"... Caliban was destroyed and the angles faithful to Luther where spread through out the galaxy. Now as I understand it the Dark Angle are still actively seeking the fallen as of M41. That was 10,000 years ago, if that's the case it would seem space marines can atleaste live for 10,000 years?

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
The Fallen were sucked through a warp rift and scattered across space and time. A Fallen appearing in M41 may well have just emerged from the warp, thus to him, the fall of Caliban may only have happened last week.

·
Registered
107 Posts
In the Salamanders book they find a Space Marine who has been waiting since the Heresy for some prophacy to be fulfilled, he only died because his armor was fused to the stone throne he was sitting on and the cave collapsed on him, or something of that nature, can't quite remember

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
In the Salamanders book they find a Space Marine who has been waiting since the Heresy for some prophacy to be fulfilled, he only died because his armor was fused to the stone throne he was sitting on and the cave collapsed on him, or something of that nature, can't quite remember
He was dieing, but because the apothecary and the company wanted to save his geneseed, they basically just killed them in their hurry to escape the ork horde

·
Registered
312 Posts
It mentions in numerous places that Dante is one of the oldest surviving loyalist marines at over 1100 years. Only Dreadnoughts from the Heresy would be older. But the Blood Angels are known to live longer than other chapters. Go figure as their Space Vampires. Muh ha ha ha! :p

There are marines too old to fight mentioned in the Space Wolves books I believe. They just train the younger generations. They do degrade as they get older. In Salamander they make mention of old Salamanders wandering off into the wastes to die when they are too old to fight anymore.

The Chaos Marines however are immortal until someone physically kills them. Lots of the same marines that took part in the Heresy are still alive. And to them the Heresy is not a memory, it is still an active war. Whether this is favor from the gods, the fact that time flows differently in the Eye, or the way they propagate their marines I dunno.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
It's true that a number of the Fallen might have been dropped into M41, basically skipping the years in between. However, there will be a few who will have only been transported through space, making them, as the OP says, over 10,000 years old. In fact, it's quite possible that some of them were transported backwards in time, maybe to a point before the beginning of the Great Crusade, maybe even before the Emperor has revealed himself to Humanity!
That would lead to some interesting incidents, especially if that particular Fallen was actually loyal. Some of the worlds that welcomed the Emperor and the Imperium might have been given some hints of what was to come by a Fallen DA being left on their world before the GC reached it. In fact, if the Fallen had gone far enough back in time, to a point right after the end of Old Night, he could be travelling around whole Sectors giving worlds the news of what the Emperor is and what he wants to do, setting these places up to welcome the re-uniting of Humanity.
It's an interesting thought that one of these Marines, reviled as a traitor and heretic by the DA, might have been a proto-missionary of the Imperial Truth.
Even odder, maybe one of these Marines will have been transported to a point so far forwards in time that the Imperium has fallen; maybe to Chaos, maybe to internecine conflict, maybe because the Emperor has finally died. This Fallen re-invigorates the remnants of the Imperium, filling them with tales of what had been done in the past and so setting the scene for the resurgence of the Imperium, the re-birth of the Imperium as a galactic force; maybe they would even be the vessel for the re-birth of the Emperor himself. All in all, I think that the Fallen could play a huge role in the past, present and future of the galaxy should they developed any further.

GFP

·
Registered
287 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as to say the CSM are effectively immortal, while Loyalist Marines age and die. The longer effective ages of CSM can be attributed to a few things:

1. They tend to live in the Warp. As stated in numerous places, time and space don't really work the same there. Time has a tendency to stop, flow backwards, or even side-ways. This does a lot to extend the effective age of a CSM.

2. They are playthings of the Chaos Gods. If you were a semi-omnipotent lord of a ever-changing realm, wouldn't you want to use magic/power to keep your amusing little toys alive longer?

In my mind Loyalist marines would live just as long as CSM if the playing field was leveled. Say, if the big ol' bag of bones on the Golden Throne could suddenly start investing his champions with supernatural gifts and longevity. Imagine it, instead of Gifts of Chaos, you could give them Gifts of the Imperium. And it would still be a slimy tentacle. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts