Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Um i was sorting my old hard drive today and i managed to find a copy of "ye old fluff bible". I've transferred it to my recent drive as i'm back into 40k now but i was wondering wether there would be any demand for an upload of it to the site?
Does anyone care about what at the time was considered to be the complete compilation of 40k lore and would anyone be interest in having it on hand or am i better off keeping it to myself and hoarding the file.
it's out of date now but the older background is still present and it includes a lot of info from RT era and second ed as well as some newer information from the start of 3rd ed.
I considered printing it but it runs to some 784 pages.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure how it would sit with forum rules, whether or not it infringes IP rules, but I'd definately be interested in having a read of it.
I love going through old fluff and comparing it to modern day lore.
See that's the thing, as far as i know it was never a published book and as it is now sooo old it has very little or no information from current dex's. The RT and Second ed information is now out of print so it's not like including it would be taking GW's money that way. I guess i'll hold off untill i get an official ruling from a mod.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Why don't you just email GW? Never mind the forum rules when it comes to wether or not it can be uploaded; once the folk who might have recourse to legal action say yea/nay, then you can contact the mods to say how to upload it or not. It shouldn't be that hard to get a ruling from the GW legal team.

GFP

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Copyright lasts for 75 years, but theres no harm in trying.
I know the copyright still stands but they might allow it to be posted in a similar way that the lexicanum site survives by siting the information as for reference only. As the whole thing contains no rules and was last updated in 2003 it contains no stories from current dex's and so therefore is not currently available even from GW. It is all out of print (DE aside), i'm hoping that they migh see this as the knowledge tome that it is and view it in the same light as lexicanum. Heck it doesn't even include anything about the destruction of the squats as its inclusion took place after the last update of the source info.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Actually, doesn't copyright last until 75 years after the holder dies, or something like that? Or was that patents, perhaps?

Anyways, I don't think there would be any issues. Lexicanum is still up, so is the other wiki. I doubt they will turn you down, if you were to email them, and I doubt they would take action against it.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
You really should; I was given the Rogue Trader rulebook as a pressie when I was 12 in1990 and loved it to death, even though I only ever played half of a game. Fast-forward to 2005ish, and casting round for something to fill my time I got back into the hobby with 4th Ed. I have all of the Codices since then, but I would love to know what the lore was from when I left the hobby to when I came back. I am proper excited to see if GW wil say OK. Maybe if you tell them I said pretty please, that would do it?
GFP

·
Registered
198 Posts
Lexicanum is still up because everything, bar a few pictures, is fan made. It based on literature in novels and codexi (im trying it out) but doesn't use their wording, your fluff bible on the other hand, is the actual literature that Lexicanum references, unless im missing the point.

but as i said, its worth a shot.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lexicanum is still up because everything, bar a few pictures, is fan made. It based on literature in novels and codexi (im trying it out) but doesn't use their wording, your fluff bible on the other hand, is the actual literature that Lexicanum references, unless im missing the point.

but as i said, its worth a shot.
Some is some isn't. PArts are written by fans remembering facts from oop citadel magasines that they no longer own. Some are actually taken word for word from the books.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like it isn't getting uploaded.
Here is the origional message i sent to GW.

Dear Games workshop legal chaps.

Recently i was clearing through an old harddrive on my old computer and came acros a copy of a file labelled as the 40k fluff bible. I seem to remember this particular document circling a lot several years ago and becoming classed as illegal copyrighted material. I have no idea how it came to be on my machine as many of the parts are transplanted from an old school computer and it is possible that it was abandoned on the drive before the computers were decommisioned.
After having a brief flick through i couldn't help but notice that all of the information contained within is out of print subject matter, the most recent update being the inclusion of base information about the tau empire which, according to the version tracker was updated in 2003.

All of the information is therefore long out of date with the tau having received a new codex since then and the rules system having changed from version 3 to 5. There are no rules included at all and all of the information appears to be hand typed and summarised. There is some direct copy of information present, though as i mentioned before all of the information sources are now long out of print, the obsolete index astartes books from 3rd edition for example. The Background story of the squats deals with the makeup of the squat world but the information is so old that it completely neglects the more recent developement which has the squats destroyed by tyranids.

I was wondering at the legallity of this file and if you advise that i should delete it i won't hesitate to do so but considering the continued popularity of games workshop background cache' sites, Lexicanum for example, i was wondering what the standpoint would be if i wished to upload the information so that new hobbyists could use the file for reference purposes. As i've said before i have no problem deleting the file even though it contains information which unless the the gamer is willing to buy a second hand edition of the rogue trader rulebook or second edition wargear books but would think that anything which allows other, younger, gamers who missed out on this period of GW history, to experiance the depth of the universe which has been created by you would be encouraged.

I await your verdict on the matter.

Faithfully

M Bourne

~
And here is the response i got.

Hi Martin

Thank you for contacting us with your enquiry. I appreciate that you’ve checked first before uploading the file.

Even though the material you mention is no longer in print, Games Workshop still retains the copyright in it. I can understand why you’d want to share it with your fellow hobbyists but please don’t upload the file or its contents for others to view. That would be an infringement of our intellectual property rights.

If you’re unsure of what to do about something like this in the future, there is a useful guide on our website at http://legal.games-workshop.com/. This explains what hobbyists can and can’t do with our IP and is well worth a read. There’s a bit in there on out of print material, for example.

I hope that helps and thanks again for checking first.

Talima Fox

IP Coordinator

Group Legal Department
on the plus side i wasn't told to delete it....not that i would have.

·
Registered
667 Posts
After reading every post on the fluff bible i was getting excited that it may be uploaded because i love fluff old or new, but sadly it was for not.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I would just forward them the link to this thread along with the email - that book may inspire some people to buy the new forgeworld Heresy stuff and do an army based off of some of the oldschool fluff, which = profit for GW. Seeing as they aren't able to make money off of the book itself anymore, it can only benefit them to have it online for people to read and possibly buy more more more :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts