Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer/slayer-hardback.html

The Slayer's destiny is revealed in the final novel of the Gotrek and Felix series.

With their friendship in tatters after a series of betrayals, Gotrek and Felix march south at the head of a ragtag army, intent upon driving the forces of Chaos out of the Empire and returning Felix to his wife. But Gotrek’s doom is at hand, and great powers are at work to ensure that he meets it. With enemies on all sides and destiny calling, Felix must make a choice: to follow Gotrek into the darkness that awaits him, or to abandon his oldest friend once and for all.

Now this one sounds like a pageturner! Will Gotrek finally find a worldshattering doom? Or is there something more afoot in the game? Theres after all still 2 dwarven ancestor gods needing to make an appearance. I could easilly imagine Gotrek becomming the avatar of Grimnir.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Now this one sounds like a pageturner! Will Gotrek finally find a worldshattering doom? Or is there something more afoot in the game? Theres after all still 2 dwarven ancestor gods needing to make an appearance. I could easilly imagine Gotrek becomming the avatar of Grimnir.
Ever since Teclis told Gotrek that the Axe of Grimnir was changing him, that is roughly how I thought the series would end. I always thought the final book would be called Godslayer and would feature Gotrek facing down an enemy worthy to be a God, and I assumed Thanquol would finally meet his end there as well, and that rather than dying Gotrek would become the Fourth Dwarven Ancestor God.

Perhaps that could still happen...

Is there like a 3rd Generation of novels? After I think it was Orc or Zombieslayer when it got really fucking ridiculous and I had to put them down.
Yeah, there are technically four generations of G&F.

1st Gen: Trollslayer - Giantslayer (Bill King)
2nd Gen: Orcslayer - Zombieslayer (Nathan Long)
3rd Gen: G&F Adventures (Josh Reynolds and David Guymer)
4th Gen: End Times (David Guymer)

The third generation of G&F contains Road of Skulls, City of the Damned, The Serpent Queen, The Lost Tales and Curse of the Everliving. They are self-contained adventures that can take place anywhere in the series, and each one is pretty damn good too. Road of Skulls easily ranks up there with Daemonslayer and Skavenslayer, City of the Damned is fairly enjoyable though the time dilation events in the book are a little tough to follow, and The Serpent Queen is a definite contendor for 3rd or 4th best G&F book.

I for one can't wait for Slayer. Especially since the BL article on it has teased that certain villains *cough* Arek Daemonclaw *cough* Skjalandir *cough* Thanquol *cough* the Bloodthirster of Karag Dum. Ahem... will be making appearances in some form or another. G&F has been a hell of a ride and I look forward to seeing how the story of Warhammer's most infamous duo comes to a close.

(Since 1999 when Trollslayer was published we've had; 17 novels, 1 anthology, 2 audios, and plenty of short stories. I'd say G&F have had a great run. :grin:)

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I recently downloaded the whole series, along with the Darkblade books, and wasn't sure which to start reading. This might swing it for me.
Well considering the series is seventeen novels long, maybe you should read G&F, Darkblade, G&F, Darkblade... you get the idea.

LotN

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
I'm stoked, and will have to make sure I finish the rest of the series before picking the end times ones up.

And yeah, I definitely think this is the end of Gotrek; but more importantly I want to find out what happened to the pair. I know the first of the novels had them split, which means Felix broke his oath, but what led to that considering all the pair went through and him being immortal.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Finished it, a quite worthy finale to the series. Gotrek recieving his long overdue and absolutely epic doom yet, that never will be surpassed.
Could you PM me the following spoilers; what is Gotrek's doom? Do Felix and Kat live through the book? And if so does the book say what becomes of them later?

LotN

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Could you PM me the following spoilers; what is Gotrek's doom? Do Felix and Kat live through the book? And if so does the book say what becomes of them later?

LotN
Major spoiler, read at your own peril - Gotrek's Doom, Felix and Kat

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Major spoiler, read at your own peril - Gotrek's Doom, Felix and Kat
Wow;

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Ahh, well that's... sad.