Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a couple of interesting, if not totally new pieces of information at the weekend at the 40k Open day in Nottingham. I could not track down this rumour anywhere else on the forum so posting a new thread seemed appropriate.

The first and probably the most major piece of information that I got is that Games Day is no more. The yearly single day 10k person event is being replaced. This will apparently be called Warhammer Fest and will occur on October 11th and 12th. The 12th also including the Golden Demon awards. It is a limited event with 2500 tickets and will be happening in Coventry.

Hopefully this will be an improvement on the poor quality of recent Games Days, but only time will tell.

The second interesting thing I learned is that the new method of releasing miniatures ad hoc and away from a formal release schedule is the way forward as far as GW is concerned. We can expect single box releases with data slate or WD rules that are outside of main Codex releases. Main codexes may not get revisited for even longer periods but releases of additional units for hard to make codexes such as SoB are a real possibility (these are paraphrased from the words of the developers)

An interesting chat to a member of the WD confirms what we have been saying for some time. GW as a company have made a conscious effort to move away from competative style game and to the old style beer and pretzels game which they enjoy playing. The lad more or less said who needs points just bring what you like to a battle and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Well as long as its better than GD last year I don't mind however as this warhammer fest is limited to 2500 tickets I'm worried the prices are going to skyrocket. That said there were significantly less tickets at GD last year weren't there? But I can't remmeber how many.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Why move it from Birmingham? Is it because the current places like the NIA and NEC are up for sale and not in a position to hold it? Also the name is stupid, Warhammer Fest? reminds me when people tried to get rid of Christmas and tried to call it Winter Fest.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
"Warhammer Fest"...... :rofl:

Seriously, that is awful. But I guess it's more GW-sounding. Especially as we now have stuff like 'Warlord Games Day' and the like :)

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think it is named because its in October, so instead of Octoberfest you have Warhammerfest. But yes a stupid name. Unless of course they follow the traditional of having Octoberfest waitresses.

The feeling I got was that the move to Coventry make it closer to GW HQ. Plus I'm sure they can get a 2500 seater conference hall for a lot less than the massive space they used at either the NIA or NEC.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I think it is named because its in October, so instead of Octoberfest you have Warhammerfest. But yes a stupid name. Unless of course they follow the Octoberfest traditional waitresses.
Having been to the Oktoberfest, I can attest to not seeing a single dolly bird that looked that serving beer. There were plenty dressed like that, but most of them looked like bulldogs licking piss off a nettle. I know I wouldn't want to see our local red shirts dressed like that either.

·
8,723 Posts
I think it is named because its in October, so instead of Octoberfest you have Warhammerfest. But yes a stupid name. Unless of course they follow the traditional of having Octoberfest waitresses.

Make it so and I'll book mine now :wink:

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
Having been to the Oktoberfest, I can attest to not seeing a single dolly bird that looked that serving beer. There were plenty dressed like that, but most of them looked like bulldogs licking piss off a nettle. I know I wouldn't want to see our local red shirts dressed like that either.
thanks kp, I now have tea all over my computer screen and Fulgrim.:laugh:

·
Registered
585 Posts
From the GW Coventry Facebook page:-

SOME FANTASTIC AND AWESOME NEWS GUYS!!!!

WARHAMMERFEST is happening right on our doorstep! Coming to the RICOH ARENA, COVENTRY on Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th October !

This October sees the first ever Warhammer Fest. a celebration of all the multiple worlds of Games Workshop, you'll be able to experience all kinds of Hobby Demos, seminars, you'll be able to talk to the design studio and have your first opportunity to grab the newest Games Workshop, Black Library and Forge World products, as well as access to event only merchandise and limited edition product.

This will also be the forum for this years Golden Demon painting competition, the premier arena for the best miniature painters in the world.

Tickets go on sale THIS WEDNESDAY so be sure to get down to the store to get yours! Theres 2,500 available for Saturday, and 2,500 available for the Sunday.

Sundays event plays host to the GOLDEN DEMON painting competition so if you want to enter, or just marvel at the fantastic entries be sure to get in and get your ticket early- its sure to sell out!

As its half term we are open on Tuesday and Wednesday so be sure to get down and get yours- don't miss out!!!

ticket.jpg

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Whilst I can understand people coming to Birmingham for the day and return, I don't understand how they can expect people to stay over night.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Whilst I can understand people coming to Birmingham for the day and return, I don't understand how they can expect people to stay over night.
this is where you and i differ, i would much prefer to make a weekend of it, get to see everything at my pace,go for a few beers and a meal and then back the following day to see more, a lot of conventions are over a weekend,or this way you can choose a day that suits you, a lot of people don't like to do very much on Sundays as they have to be at work on Monday morning,so Saturday would be preferable.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I guess it's just that I live in Birmingham and now the convention is no longer here that's put a downer on it :( I would consider going to the saturday one tbh.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I find it interesting how there is no mention of Armies on Parade however

·
Registered
393 Posts
hmm correct me if i am wrong here but isn't the ricoh arena something to do with the struggling football (soccer) club in coventry?? :scare:

Does this mean GW are helping to prop up a local team??? :grin:

·
Registered
411 Posts
hmm correct me if i am wrong here but isn't the ricoh arena something to do with the struggling football (soccer) club in coventry?? :scare:

Does this mean GW are helping to prop up a local team??? :grin:

I live in cov and the footy team play at Northampton town for their matches as they cant afford the rent to play at the Ricoh. (At least thats the general gist of it)

The Ricoh will be astranomical costs to hold the event, but I suspect the council will have had a hand in the arrangement somewhere along the lines - I mean, tom Jones even sang in Coventry, and Coventry's a right shithole!

·
8,723 Posts
Well they do have some things in common they both tend to have busty ladies in costumes.
Our re-enactment events tend have a few as well...... :spiteful:

You can all kip on my sofa. :eek:k:
Sold. :laugh:

this is where you and i differ, i would much prefer to make a weekend of it, get to see everything at my pace,go for a few beers and a meal and then back the following day to see more
This. Most definitely this :good:

I mean, tom Jones even sang in Coventry, and Coventry's a right shithole!
Ever been to Dudley? :p
I believe @Logaan has certain views, don't you bro? :laugh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts