Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice work fella - what are you not happy with? They look finely done - can you get a better photo? They are blending in with the background.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Yeah these are quick snaps, I will take some proper pics when finished. Need to finish the bases and weather them. Not sure whether to weather(!) the armour like I did with my guard vets or to try something different. What do you reckon? Also not sure how to dirty up the feet. Should I make them dusty from an urban environment or use a different technique? If anyone has any ideas or pics as examples that would be great.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Yellow sucks ass
Fuckin' tell me about it!!!! Yellow is a son of a bitch and why my Imperial Fists are slow progressing....though all of my projects progress pretty damn slow.

Great job on that Assault marine, though I feel his left foot looks overly dark. It would be perfect with the shading, but there's as much overhead coverage of the right foot that I think they should be closer in colour.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I feel his left foot looks overly dark. It would be perfect with the shading, but there's as much overhead coverage of the right foot that I think they should be closer in colour.
ntaw you are absolutely right - that is just the nuln oil wash that has pooled on his leg and made it darker. I have covered it a little as I have weathered the armour tonight and painted and washed the base. I have also weathered the jump pack and had a go at painting the boosters on the back white - blue as if they are igniting. I think that the weathering has come out ok but the boosters look crap to put it simply. I haven't got a photo as I am still waiting for the base wash to dry. I'll post one this weekend when I figure out how to make the boosters look better - any ideas would be great!

While I was waiting for various bits of the assault marine to dry I painted up a couple of guardsmen that I had lying around - there's always a need for more meat in the grinder...

I have to say it is so much easier to paint guard than power armour, hats off to you marine players!!
My guys are dead simple:
1. Base colours - Always face first to completition then scab red, boltgun metal, codex grey and any accessories on there.
2. Wash - Nuln oil on the grey and metal, Agrax earthshade on the red.
3. Highlights - Boltgun metal again, codex grey again, scab red mixed with bleached bone and any accessories again such as belts etc.
4. Teeth on the shoulder pad with white.
Done
Takes a bit of time but generally quite quick.
Back to the marine next week now...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Right here is the assault marine - just need to finish the base.
I need views/criticisms on:
1. The jump pack jets
2. The weathering on the armour
3. Any other improvements.
Thanks!

I appreciate the pics aren't the best but no daylight when i get home from work anymore!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I like where you have applied weathering, but it looks a bit too cleanly done for my taste. Maybe smaller patches (if that's even a possibility) might change the finished feel of it, but my opinions on weathering should be taken with a few truckloads of salt as I'm not usually a fan of it in any situation. Regardless, that's a solid looking model.

Something that was suggested to me (here on Heresy I might add) that really changed my BA army was to paint all the joints silver and wash them black instead of having all the knee and elbow nooks painted red and washed black. It really did help to break up the 'red muhreenz' look and gave my work a bit more depth. Granted, you have a bit more of a colour break going on with Felsh Tearers, but still I think it would look sweet.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #127 (Edited)
Back into the swing of things now after a break over Christmas. I finished off my 15 assault marines:

unfortunately now they aren't troops I'll need to get hold of some tactical marines doh!
I have also finished off 1 of the terminators. These were the pics before I realised I forgot a shoulder pad:

And these were after:

While I was at it I also started blacking up my land raider and Baal predator flesh tearer style:

Sorry about the pics but no daylight to take proper ones when I am not at work at the moment I will take proper pics at some point.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Those marines are looking mean mate, they'd be great to face across a table.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #130 (Edited)
Thanks Iraqiel, they're getting there slowly.
I figured Reverend that I'd have a go and if it goes wrong I can always paint over it!
Anyway I was supposed to get a game with Jangalak tonight but die to an Ill missus we were sadly unable to get together. On the plus side I've had 4 whole hours to paint which is unheard of! I painted the basic colours of boltgun metal and some more black on the land raider and Baal predator and washed them. Also got the weapons and flamer barrels done on the Baal. They are starting to take shape, just details , weathering and sponsons to do...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
Just having a quick look at what I actually have fully painted now. The completed models are as follows:

Astra Militarum

1 x CCS - Company commander and 4 melta vets
1 x Astropath
2 x Platoon Commanders (1 x CS/LP 1 x PP/PS)
5 x Flamers
1 x Commissar
20 x Guardsmen with lasguns
6 x Guardsmen with Sniper Rifles
3 x Ogryns
1 x Vet squad with 3 Plasmaguns
1 x Vet Lascannon Team
2 x Guardsmen Lascannon Teams
3 x Guardsmen Autocannon Teams
2 x Guardsmen Missile Launcher Teams
3 x Chimeras
2 x Vendettas
1 x Punisher with HB Sponsons & HB
1 x Demolisher with PC Sponsons & HF
1 x Executioner with PC sponsons & HF
1 x Manicore with HF

Flesh Tearers

2 x Assault Marine Sergeants with BP & PF
13 x Assault Marines with CS & BP
1 x Terminator with TH & SS

Here is a question for you:
What would be a good list at 1850 for the Astra Militarum models I have completed so far? I have some thoughts but it would be interesting to get some other points of view.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Well, you might field 1850 like this:

Unbound

HQ
CCS w Astropath, lascannon, 2x melta, chimera
Commissar (in with an infantry squad)
Elite
3x Ogryn
Troops
PCS
Infantry Squad, melta, missile launcher w flak missiles, chimera
Infantry Squad, melta, missile launcher w flak missiles, chimera
Special Weapon Squad - 3 flamers (in Vendetta)
HWS - 3 autocannons
Fast Attack
Vendetta (with sw squad)
Vendetta
Heavy Support
Demolisher with HB sponsons (swap the turret)
SQN - Plasmacutioner and Punisher with PC Sponsons
Manticore

Not the ideal way to run it - I'd drop the orgyns for another vet squad and load them up with melta and an APC personally, but that ought to keep you flexible and well powered.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Wow, time flies when you're not having fun working your balls off to pay the mortgage!!!
I hope everyone is good in the community and thanks for all the comments guys.
I have finally finished repainting this godforsaken veteran squad from the drab grey to the white and leather style. I hope you like it - now I just have another 20 veterans to repaint.....

The whole squad

And from the back

Full face masks

Part Face masks

3 plasma gunners

I wanted to bring a proper veteran look to my veteran models rather than just changing the uniform colour as I had previously. So I changed and added a few bits and pieces....

The 3 plasmagunners are respirator models from forgeworld.

The 7 others are normal cadian bodies with gasmask heads from pigiron added. I love those heads and they have just released a few more too! They also have the stormtrooper backpacks added.

Converting the guns to more machine gun style - For the barrels I snipped off the original lasgun barrels and drilled in a small piece of wire lower down the barrel. I filed the sights off and instead I added a 't' shaped piece of plasticard. Finally I cut off the laspack magazine and added some bolt pistol magazines and strips of ammo from the CSM sprue.

I felt that the weapon and head changes gave the models a proper veteran look like their guns have been modified and they have adapted according to their surroundings.

I also weathered the armour heavily as if they have been in the field or on a mission for a while. Here I painted the armour white then painted black marks to show damage. I then filled these black marks with boltgun metal leaving a black outline before putting a dab of devlan mud over the marks to show water and dirt getting into the cracks in the paint. Finally I flicked chaos black paint over all of the armour to give it a pitted look and tie all of the weathering together. On the footguards I used more devlan mud wash to show mud splashes across the armour.

On the forgeworld plasmagunners the tubes connecting the plasmagun to the backpack broke straight away (they are so brittle!) and so I bent a piece of wire around and drilled each end into the model. I am pleased with how they came out actually.

Any criticism or comments are appreciated guys. Thanks for looking!!
Hi Iraqiel. For some reason I forgot to include my unit of plasma vets in the models completed list Even though I posted them in this thread earlier.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Hi Iraqiel. For some reason I forgot to include my unit of plasma vets in the models completed list Even though I posted them in this thread earlier.
And very nice looking they are too! I'd fit them into the list by dropping ogryns, switching a chimera their way and giving them grenadiers and fwd sentries. That makes your list bound and gives you a hard hitting, mechanised squad to deal with terminators and other elite infantry.

What was your idea for the list?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
My list goes as follows:

CCS - 4 meltas, chimera
3 Ogryns
PCS - 4 flamers (in vendetta)
1 blob 16 guardsmen, 2 HWT's - missile launchers. Commissar.
1 infantry squad 9 guardsmen, 1 flamer, chimera.
Heavy weapons squad - 3 autocannons
Heavy weapons squad - 3 lascannons
1 Veteran squad - 3 plasmaguns, chimera.
2 Vendettas.
1 Leman Russ punisher.
1 Leman Russ executioner.
1 Manticore.

This list has a solid firebase with the manticore, blob, HWT's and Russ's. Also it has mobility and adaptability with 3 chimera's full of special weapons - meltas, plasma and flamer. Air support is provided with 2 Vendettas which are lethal and 1 also has 4 flamers to drop and fry something off of an objective. The ogryns provide some cc protection although they will be replaced with a banewolf when painted as they are the same points.

What do you think?

121 - 135 of 135 Posts