Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

41 - 60 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks Jangles!

Ok I am having issues. My thoughts were to make the vets look like they mean business. This means a change in scheme, weapons and heads. I like the scheme but not sure if it will fit with my normal red guardsmen. I love the new weapons but just need to alter a couple of bits so that is to come. My big problem is their heads.....

I love the pig iron gas masks and thought that they would fit nicely for vets, they are also a bit chaosy too which floats my boat!! So I ordered some and painted one up yesterday to see what it looks like. However I think it makes the guardsman head look far too small as he has bulky armour. Obviously the normal helmet bulks the head out and it looks normal.

Here are some comparison pics for size reference. Also do you think that the mask needs to be painted white?

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
I like the gas masked head, but my first impression was that it was a bit too small, which is a shame because it adds some character and makes them stand out. I guess my eye was only comparing it against the guy with the great marshmallow helmet next to him though...

Your call I guess ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Oh Rev!! Now I am paranoid that my hardest men, the ones who are fiercest in the thick of the fighting are actually guys who just found themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time as war broke out while they were in fancy dress at a ghostbusters convention.....:(

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
haha, sorry Hocky, I didn't mean the marshmallow reference to creat an image of the Marshmallow Man in your mind!! :) haha, you could write stay-puft on their helmets? :wink:

back to the original dilema though, I like the gas masked guys, you should keep them. or make a whole squad of them and then they are only ever compared against each other?

·
Registered
802 Posts
The veterans are looking very nice, your highlights are improving drasticly and the freehand on the shoulders is nice and straight now! I agree about making the tube on the top of the gun into a scope, at the moment it looks out of place imo. I quite like the scheme to the veterans and the weathering on the white has turned out well! Very well done sir!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks guys, I realy like the gas masks too. I actually think that when I have painted the armour properly the gas mask won't look as small and Rev I think you are right about the perspective of him only being comparable to the marshmallow. I think a whole squad will look cool. Therefore i'll bloody well get on with it!!
Been a bit busy round here lately so not much painting done, back on it next week though so some more progress then. Until then I had not shown any pictures of the vet squads I have painted now so this is those guys possibly being repainted white after the trial squad gets completed.....

Whole Plasma Vet Squad

5 of the normal vets...

And a close up of their backpacks

The 3 Plasma gunners

And the Sergeant

I gave them the stormtrooper backpacks to give the impression they were on some kind of mission and not just your average guy.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well it seems like forever since I posted as real life has gotten in the way.

However there is some exciting news in that me and jangalak have managed to get a weekend away from the families to give the feth another outing at the doubles tournament in February!!!
We are now obliged to put something special together to get nominated again for best painted!
Therefore the last couple of days my new white vet squad has been in production again. Managed to get all the basic colours on, then it will be washes, highlights then weapons. Here is a quick progress pic

Even though I haven't been painting I still have been reading and I am loving the blood angels at the moment. So much so that last week I went a bit crazy and made a few purchases to keep plugging away at in the long term....

1750 in all and a manticore for dear old jangalak. I already have mephiston so hopefully if I ever have enough time I will be able to apocalypse it up with guard and BA!
Onwards to the doubles with IG though, more updates soon!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Oooh, i see you have made a light box, good man! really makes the detail easier to see now, looking very nice! It cant have been easy getting that many stormtrooper backpacks, or did you just buy the set?
The plasma coils are looking really smooth, i love that effect!
Good to hear your entering the doubles tournament, i may well see you there! Have you got a seperate blog for you Ba or will they be in here as well? looking forward to seeing them on the go

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well its been a while - lots going on at home and work so not much time for hobbying i'm afraid.

@dakingofchaos - hope you're at the doubles, it'll be cool to catch up offline. And no i'll probably put some pics of the BA on here every now and again. It would be far too slow to offer a proper project log - as you are seeing with this one!

@troybuckle - Thanks man. Its funny, unlike others I love painting infantry!!! I'm also a bit OCD and can't help but do the details where someone else would leave them. It would bug me far too much!!

@rev - I saw those gas masks when I was shopping around for heads and I loved them but hated the helmets!!

I haven't quite finished them yet - armour and a few more touches to guns and faces to do but here is a quick update for your opinions before I finish them off and then get cracking with a load more...

What do you think of the guns? I have changed the sight on top and used different magazines to show that these are vets and they are scavenging behind enemy lines, adapting and using the resources they can find, but should I leave the original lasgun end on or go down the more autogunnish route like the marshmallow headed guy?

Do the gasmasks work? Should I ditch them and leave the Cadian marshmallow heads on? I think their size is fine when the group is together. I really like the masks that don't cover the whole face but am not sure about the full face masks...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Just a thought for your full face masks (having just got my first set of guardsmen through and attempting a simliar style gas mask), have you tried filing down the front of the faces? it might make the masks les 'sticky outy'. As for the other masks i think they are superb! That a conversion kit or just green stuff? either way very well pulled off, on the gun topic i prefer the ones with the original lasgun ends left on, the others resemble that similar to a FAMAS kind of gun, i think the box clip ammo looks a lot smarter than the free swinging bullet strap as well

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Hi guys and thanks for your comments.
@ dakingofchaos they are gasmasks from Pig Iron. They do loads of heads over there.

@ Hellados yes i have weathered the white armour, not quite finished though so pics coming soon.

While i have been working on the vets i have also been doing a couple of other bits. 1 of which is taking my old leman russ that i never use and turning it into a punisher. I never liked the punisher barrel as i thought it was too short though so i modified the battle cannon to extend it.

Need to finish it off with a load of details and switch the lascannon for heavy bolter but What do you think?

Edit: Didn't realise it was such a bad pic until i posted it sorry!!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Pretty freaking awsome dude, Im digging the extended barrel for the punisher cannon. Funny we are both working on the SAME model. Mine should be done tomorrow, we shall see.

However, I demand better pictures! :grin:

Regards,
DoE

41 - 60 of 135 Posts