Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Try it, it will prob be fine. Even if you didn't bother with brown and just painted it all tallarn flesh then washed it with ogryn flesh it would still look great. I just use the brown for a little more depth.

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Hey Hocky, great to see your work up here!!

Your painting is really good, especially the lights on those tanks, I really like those.

Looking forward to slaughtering these guys at the doubles in Feb if you're there :)

Rev

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That sounds like fighting talk Rev!!!! Hopefully i'll be there. Some real life stuff going down at the moment but there's always hope!!

Thanks for the compliments on the searchlights. Dead easy to do but actually quite effective.

So Alpha Legion eh? I'll be following that one for sure. Will it be Alpha and SW at the tourney then?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Following on from my earlier comments regarding some tyranids and adding a Tyranid theme to the army I am test painting a Genestealer as a start for the base of one of my Vendettas.....

These were the first test colours....(Excuse the white foot!!!)

I wasn't really happy as the colours were too brown and the point of the 'nids were to add colour to the army. So I then tried this....

This time I quite like the blue but i don't think the flesh colour works. Any idea's on either painting it better full stop or the colour scheme?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Looking good but I have to agree the mud is too much and there would be a separation between where the mud piles up on the track and on the stationary part of the tank.

The grey on the uniform of some of the troopers is a bit to much of a contrast you can always go over the uniform with a wash of the original color to blend it in slightly.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
While I mull over the tyranid colour scheme problem I thought i'd share a few more photo's. As all I have shown is grey so far I thought it pertinent to explain that Grey uniform marks out Veterans in this army and red marks out normal guardsmen. So on with the red and a platoon....

Troop Squad 1 with Lascannon

Lascannon

Sergeant

Troop Squad 2 with Lascannon

Lascannon

Sergeant (Jangalak's favourite for some reason!)

Blob

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looking good mate, the photos are top class, you are still getting a little bounce back from the light though on some of them - still great though. And your infantry are way ahead of mine...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks Janga! I have been perusing LTP's Photo editing guide on the miscellaneous tutorial section and so after a download my photo's should get a bit better.

As you know I have been playing with the idea of a tyranid invasion but have been struggling with a scheme for them. The early ideas were still too dark so i thought "lets go pink!"....

and i have ripped up a chimera to put some genestealers on it tearing it apart. Here is the idea....

What do you think of the scheme and the stealers pose on the chimera?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I like the idea of the nid theme, it would make for a very interesting army. At the risk of repeating myself i actually prefer the guardsmen to your vets, the red fabric looks very nice to me! Also loving the bricks by the hwt

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks Dakingofchaos. After much deliberation I agree with some of the comments here regarding my veterans. Its all too grey! So a change of colour scheme for my vets is called for. I also think that they should be different from normal troopers - they are veterans after all. So I have been messing around and doing some research and have decided to do three things differently with them.
1. Different heads - I have spied some online and ordered so I will post pics when they are here.
2. Different weapons - Counts as lasguns, but i took inspiration from a tutorial here on heresy by itspug and came up with this....

3. Different colour scheme. Now this I need some feedback on as I have painted the armour and am wondering if it fits with my other troopers. I originally tried fortress grey with white highlights.....

....but think I will go with all white and weather it instead after following xenobiotics blog for a while here....
Pre weathering.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well I didn't think I would have any more painting time tonight but here is the pre weathered vet stuck together. Poor pics though sorry! Will change the top of the gun I think as it doesn't work. It needs to be flatter.
Any good?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I think it could work if there was an extension to the tube on top, to make it look more like a scope.

I like the scheme with the white more, but that's just bias because my own IG are painted with white. :biggrin:

Other then that... the beltfed weapon feeding from the bottom doesn't work. Beltfed weapons traditionally are attached to the side of the weapon, like the M249 / PKM

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Other then that... the beltfed weapon feeding from the bottom doesn't work. Beltfed weapons traditionally are attached to the side of the weapon, like the M249 / PKM
I was thinking the same, but it you put some block on the side of the gun above the ammo feed, then the belt could be coming from the base and then around into the side..

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Well belt-fed bolters are fed from the bottom, so this fits with that style, and I like the look of them anyway.

As for the white, that's a good break from your largly dark force, so great choice.

Rev

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
With regard to the belt feed, as the Rev says, I stole that idea from the bolters of some chaos marines I had knocking around. Here is a pic from GW and they are a mix of ammo case and hanging ammo.....

This isn't realistic in real life but I thought it would be more interesting than nicking the bolter ammo case seen on some of the other chaos marines instead which has been done before. I may do a mix of the two. I'll experiment with my bits box!!

I am defo going to change the top of the gun, it doesn't work when you look at it in real life so i'll get some plasticard and change that.

Hopefully i'll get some time to weather the white this morning, slightly nervous about that though......

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hocky, this is great mate! I like them alot. As whats been said before, the white makes everything stand out nicely. Your facial feature is great as well, hes got that look on his face like "Awhhh man." Well done Sir!

Regards,
DoE

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks D of E!!
Have finally decided to go for it and weathered the white! This is Jangalak's fault as he kept bothering me to 'pit' the white so here it is with just the top of the weapon to change and a new head....

What do you think?

·
Registered
726 Posts
The NID colour scheme is pretty cool, you've done a good job on the stealer. It's not far off my own scheme though so I may be biased ;) I used black base coat with the fleshy parts and ribs quite a dark red (rojo red from the vallejo range applied thinly) and then the carapace is black with metallic blue highlights to make them look suitably beetle-y (just no guitars).

And you guard look fantastic, the modelling on the bases is really nice and I might have to plagiarise some of your ideas.

21 - 40 of 135 Posts