Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The Deathwatch - Questions/Ideas

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Angelus Censura 
#1 · (Edited)
Sucked back in yet again. Happens every few months or years - take a lengthy absence from everything wargames, then happen across a 40k novel at a local book store and I'm back at it again.

This time: Deathwatch.

I've left behind my days of playing Chaos and have moved towards loyal Space Marines. A local game store has game day every Sunday, 500-1000pt games. I, as usual (for those of you who remember me from years back when I used to be a more prolific poster), want to build a unique army that is both fun to model and paint, as well as fun to play in game. I have a habit of building really fun, cool looking armies with homebrew fluff that end up getting completely face smashed in game. For this army I'd like to play at both aspects, gaming and modeling/painting.

Deathwatch, as I understand it and many of you know, is made up of Space Marines from various chapters, all having pledged a certain amount of campaigns or years in service to the Inquisition to eliminate the Xenos threat and recover exotic alien artifacts and technology. Deathwatch units are typically lead by an Inquisitor, and in rare circumstances a Librarian.

After digging through some boxes in storage, I found a ton of old metal blisters, one of which (A Black Templars High Marshall), I would like to convert into an Inquisitor to lead my Deathwatch force. I've taken a dremel tool to him, ground away his head and some iconography, and was about to start the sclupting process when a question came to mind. And so, finally, the point to this thread.

Deathwatch Inquisitors Questions:

1. Can a Space Marine become an Inquisitor? If not, would an Inquisitor ever don Space Marine armour? Luckily, the figure I am working on has a cap that covers most of the armor, so it can pass as something other than Space Marine armour. However, the figure has an iron cross on his right shoulder, which is partially covered by chains and skulls. This will be a real pain in the ass to remove and make look good, which leads to my second question.

2. Supposing a Space Marine could become an Inquisitor, would he, being an Inquisitor of the Deathwatch, maintain his original chapter affiliation iconography on his right shoulder pad?

3. Would a Vindicare Assassin of the Officio Assassinorum be utilized by the Deathwatch? I am unsure of the new rules for army composition, as I have been away from the hobby for quite a while. But I thought it would be cool to a throw a Vindicare Assassin into the mix.

4. And lastly, would a Dreadnought ever pledge service to/be utilized by the Deathwatch, or is it made up primarily of individual troops?

A new thread will follow eventually, explaining my army composition with pictures of minis as I build and paint them, some homebrew fluff, etc. Just need to get some facts straight before hand as I like to stick with existing fluff and ensure any homebrew fluff is realistic. :grin:

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Awesome, appreciate the response. I will have to convert the figure into something else then. Or I can just figure out a way to remove the iron cross on the shoulder and sculpt over where the backpack connects. Definitely answers my questions though. Now on to converting some figures and writing some fluff.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Cool, I did some more digging and while its very rare, I think I could write some fluff for my army where a Deathwatch Champion eventually became a Dreadnought.

Obviously been out of the loop for a while - referred to Space Marine Chapters as "factions"....lol:crazy:

Discussion starter · #9 ·
I guess even if it were plausible for a Watch Commander to become an Inquisitor, he wouldn't maintain any affiliation to his Chapter. I need to do some digging online and try to come up with a base model to convert into an Inquisitor. Don't really want to use those available as the "Inquisitor" leading my army will take on rules of an HQ from the Space Marine codex and I don't want any confusion in game

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.