Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Deathwatch. They've always seemed to me as a portion of 40k that deserves to be expanded upon more than they are currently. They've been touched on by the Dark Heresy rule books but not really in the nominal 40K verse. Do you think that they deserve a supplement?

Personally I think they do. If they didn't require so much painting of black I'd be fully keen to paint a full force of them. As it it is I'm still hesitant but tempted!

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
YES ......... :angry:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes!! I'm wondering who they'd be a supplement to. GKs would make sense, but I'm not sure if they would do a supplement for a 5th Ed book. There's also always Sternguard with GK allies for a Xenos inquisitor...

If GW does a supplement, maybe they'll add new squads of Deathwatch. Sort of like how GKs got Purifiers and Intercepters in their latest book.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Realistically, what they should do, is make GK supplements for the branches of the Inquisition. I'm sure Zion will come after me for it, but at this point even a Hereticus Supplement with the SoBs in them would be better than nothing, and then a Xenos supplement with access to Deathwatch.

·
Bruva I am hit!
582 Posts
I think some TT rules for a Deathwatch kill-team at least would be nice, but personally I am quite happy with their representation in FFG's Deathwatch gamebooks - they expand on the Deathwatch a lot fluff-wise, but again, at least some representation on TT a la 4th edition would be nice.

·
Registered
682 Posts
No.

Simply because another snow-flake marine army is not required; deathwatch would either have to work on the grounds of "everyone has special rules from their own chapter" or some kind of universal deathwatch rule that singles them out from normal marines (Hatred: Xenos or whatever).

What I would not object to is a "Forces of the Inquisition codex" which aimed to build armies around a core theme: GK's, SoB, or Deathwatch. From there you could have a handful of "Makes X troops" HQ's and you get your DW army that way.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Are they really that much different from Sternguard? I don't think so. There's nothing really unique about them apart from their missions. It could be easily done using the SW codex, by taking Grimnar and making WG troops. All those combi and power weapons would portray the DW elite status.

I agree with Moonscwine though, an Inquisition supplement would be the way to go. Sisters, storm troopers, DW, assassins, it'd be a huge seller.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The problem is that Deathwatch can be fielded quite well with the Ally rules. The primary force should be the Marines of your choice. You can even change it up to get a feel for them being drafted from different chapters. Then you through in Grey Knights for the Inquisitor and maybe some of the special weapons they can get. It's not perfect but with all the Inquisitors being in that codex, I can't see any other way. But a true DW codex or supplement would be cool to see all the potential special rules collide.

How would a squad of Marines from random chapters handle a Blood Angel or Flesh Tearer succumbing to the Red Thirst or Black Rage?

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I've been finding that the Allies rules don't really work for Deathwatch. If nothing else you have the situation where your Inquisitor cannot join any of the squads in the army.

I'd like to see it in supplement form where it allows particular choices from both Codices.

So for example you can take an Inquisitor and Warband along with Sternguard as troops all as one army.

With the latest penchant for random elements in the game perhaps some of the chapter specific special rules can be rolled for at the start of the game, or maybe even rear their heads at points throughout the game.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Realistically, what they should do, is make GK supplements for the branches of the Inquisition. I'm sure Zion will come after me for it, but at this point even a Hereticus Supplement with the SoBs in them would be better than nothing, and then a Xenos supplement with access to Deathwatch.
My only nighle for you is the WD codex for Sisters cut ties with the Inquisition returning them to their roots as a seperate entity instead of one that served two masters.

That aside, a Deathwatch supplement would be awesome. They don't need a codex as much as varients of the rules in the Marine codex to be playable again.

·
Registered
302 Posts
No, because Deathwatch moving in force does not make sense. They're a SpecOps outfit that operates on a unit-by-unit basis.

Personally, I think it would make the most sense to make a Deathwatch unit yourself. It would make even more sense to take them as allies to an IG or non-Grey Knight Inquisition force.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
No, because Deathwatch moving in force does not make sense. They're a SpecOps outfit that operates on a unit-by-unit basis.

Personally, I think it would make the most sense to make a Deathwatch unit yourself. It would make even more sense to take them as allies to an IG or non-Grey Knight Inquisition force.
Deathwatch actually had a WD Codex article some number of years ago, but generally I think they only move in force when shit really hits the fan.

But yeah, they don't ALWAYS roll deep, but when they do it's because shit got serious.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
There is great scope for the Deathwatch to be employed in numbers beyond a Kill Team.
In the Hammer and Bolter short stories there is one where a large number are deployed in an assault on a Xeno incursion that had been located by a single Kill Team.

To use the spec ops reference there are plenty of examples where SpecOps units are deployed in larger numbers. Oman in the 70's springs to mind.
If you thought about it for a bit you could make some really awesome scenarios just using the history of real life SpecOps units.

Green Berets with the Montagnards in Vietnam become Deathwatch and Catachans or similar.
SAS/SBS on the Falklands or in the desert in WW2 has some great stories about raids on airfields, the Desert stuff in Jeeps -> Land Speeders.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
There is great scope for the Deathwatch to be employed in numbers beyond a Kill Team.
In the Hammer and Bolter short stories there is one where a large number are deployed in an assault on a Xeno incursion that had been located by a single Kill Team.

To use the spec ops reference there are plenty of examples where SpecOps units are deployed in larger numbers. Oman in the 70's springs to mind.
If you thought about it for a bit you could make some really awesome scenarios just using the history of real life SpecOps units.

Green Berets with the Montagnards in Vietnam become Deathwatch and Catachans or similar.
SAS/SBS on the Falklands or in the desert in WW2 has some great stories about raids on airfields, the Desert stuff in Jeeps -> Land Speeders.
A supplement could have rules (Altar of War style) for scenarios that would need so many Deathwatch Marines to be on scene.

Plus being able to use them as actual Deathwatch would allow you to ally them to other armies as Deathwatch not differently painted Marines.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Yes Deathwatch desrve some sort of attention, as they are not simply the "same as Sternguard". To truely reflect the nature of the Deathwatch, they would have to be a cross between both Sternguard and vanguard Veteran squads, being able to take things like special ammo, all of the weapon options available to the Vanguards, heavy flamers, flamers, plasma guns, melta guns, move and fire heavy bolters and ultra grit. They are one of the coolest and most flavorsome forces min the entire Imperium, maybe even the entire 40k universe, and I would love to be able to field them in nsome capacity, whether that's a full blown codex, which coulkd quite easily be done, and to the naysayers Grey Knights used to be a single squad of terminators back in 2nd and early 3rd edition, as a supplement, this would be harder than a full codex in reality, or at the very leats rulkes for a deathwatch kill team either in WD or online that can be taken as an eltes unit for any Imperial army, whether that be SM, IG or GK.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
From a Fluff point view yes, especially since that is a large part of what these Supplements are intended for. A long running Deathwatch series would be beautiful.

But from a tabletop point of view I don't know. I guess to an extent it could be done in the SW codex, using Wolf Guard, though I'm not specifically sure on the rules, and I guess you could ally in GKs. I guess the easiest way around it would be to put them in the codex as an entry similar to Legion of the Dammed in the next SM codex.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd like a supplement or a codex in two parts:

- the first one for standard WH40K games, which describes how to use Deathwatch as Ally, like a single squad with special weapons/ammo/better stats and maybe a scenario where the kill team is in the middle of the field surrounded by xenos and waiting for a Imperial intervention to help them (coming as reserves).
- the second one is made of scenarios that put a marine player with a Kill Team vs a xeno player with particular rules, like genestealer cult or w/e. In this case, the marine would be really tough: I remember an article on White Dwarf in which the staff described all the rules/stats in order to play a "real" Space Marines, as they are represented in books or cinematics.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
yes, because i think everything possible should get a supplement, 40ks fluff is a rich mix of various factions and armies, some lost in time others just hinted at and i think much of what made 40k interesting back in the day has been lost or streamlined away by GW as it grew larger in the last 10 years, but supplements alone are not the answer they need to also put out some models or at least think about adding something relating to these supplements to future kits so that people can really immerse themselves into the additional books otherwise the sales will be too low to sustain the project.
For example next month sees the release of the digital black legion supplement, what better time to produce a plastic Abaddon the Despoiler model? GW would sell loads of him and also would draw more attention to the supplement.
Just a thought.

with the death watch they could put out a plastic veterans pack to replace the finecast sternguard and include deathwatch pads and armour/icons with it plus at the same time put out some mk8 armour parts and add some variety to the space marine kits.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd say no from a table top point of view.

Let's look at what the deathwatch really is, if we cut through the awesome fluff.
They are a bunch of temporary volunteers from all other chapters to fight aliens as a codex chapter with some special ammunition, weapons and training from the =I=.

Now look at it from a a TT centric view. they are from a bunch of different chapters do we need to represent that with rules. No, that's better done with a paint brush.
They fight according to the codex astartes. Do we need a special rule for that? No we already have a codex for codex chapters.
They have a bunch of special stuff from =I=. We'll need some special rules for that but as have been already mentioned we can use the rules for stern guard or vanguard for that.
They have special training. Again we need a special rule so we give the preferred enemy or hatred or something.

So what do we end up with?
Well, we have codex vanilla marines were every unit gets hatred of aliens and the option to buy stern guard and van guard stuff.

There you have it codex: deathwatch.

You all owe me 80 quid!!!

OR

we could just get an option of taking a deathwatch kill team as an elite choice with the options for stern guard and van guard stuff that has the hatred or preferred enemy special rules.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My knee jerk reaction was yes because Deathwatch are awesome but really, probably not. I think they'd be best represented as an extra Codex: Space Marines entry. While Sternguard are good to represent them, they're not perfect.

Simple things like the aforementioned Xenos specific rules, some extra equipment and the possibility of being led by a Librarian would be ideal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts