Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 266 Posts

·
Reaper of Souls
1,303 Posts
-You said 'Absolutely godmodding'. Are you sure there's not a missing 'no'?
Well spotted, I didn't even notice that :clapping:

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
bane i was reading through your post and i noticed that at the start you said it was a nation of men and elves then after that you said it was men and dwarves?

romero good to see you've been busy next time your back well have to talk about fleshing out the backstory for the standard rp one.
Ah yeah, thanks for the advice. It was originally elves bu then I decided to do a switch to Dwarves. Will fix that :).

·
Banned
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
romero good to see you've been busy next time your back well have to talk about fleshing out the backstory for the standard rp one.
Yeah, I was wandering if you wanted to run that one while I ran this one.

Sorry, I've been wondering for a while and I wanted to know how these conquest RPs work. How would an RP function with running multiple empires? Surely godmodding would be a bit of an issue?
Yeah, godmodding is always an issue with these. But as long as it doesn't go out of control ad make them OP then I am OK with a bit. And if you want to see how it works then you can join up or just watch from the sidelines,

hell, if you want to watch i will even give you a red button of death :grin:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ye for the traditional rp we were thinking that the people on the conquest could be he same people on the traditional one what does everybody think

·
Registered
657 Posts
Septok I assume you mean the grops name as you can't make races

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
It's conceptually interesting and you've obviously put a lot of work into it, i just have a few questions about the mechanics.

Is there going to be a map? Are we able to conquer/colonize other areas?

Is letting the players try and negotiate their battles really the best idea? I mean each is obviously going to be invested in their own side and each able to come up with reasons why their side should win.

Do the traits have any hard stats or just the descriptions?

Will there be a system of trade or diplomacy?

How will we manage our empires? Is there currency or revenue, upgrades for provinces and the like (do we even have provinces)? What kind of decisions will we have to make?

You've told us how to build our nations but how will the game work?

·
Banned
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It's conceptually interesting and you've obviously put a lot of work into it, i just have a few questions about the mechanics.

Is there going to be a map? Are we able to conquer/colonize other areas?
A map is under construction and will be up in the next few days. Conquering is all good but colonising will be limited as the nations are already established with little, if any, free land.

Is letting the players try and negotiate their battles really the best idea? I mean each is obviously going to be invested in their own side and each able to come up with reasons why their side should win.
I agree, but i want this t be a fun experiance and if the players can come to a conclusion between them then i'm ahppy, if not then i can work it out for them.

Do the traits have any hard stats or just the descriptions?
The traits are just what they say on the tin. No hard stats as such

Will there be a system of trade or diplomacy?
You go and talk to someone, diplomacy. You give somone corn and they give you coal, trade. Simples. :grin:

How will we manage our empires? Is there currency or revenue, upgrades for provinces and the like (do we even have provinces)? What kind of decisions will we have to make?
Well i don't want to go to much in to currency, upgrades and such so as to avoid sounding like AoI. Decisions will be battles, diplomacy, normal life and the such.

You've told us how to build our nations but how will the game work?
Could you repeat the question? It's quite complicated, What do you want to know?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ye for the traditional rp we were thinking that the people on the conquest could be he same people on the traditional one what does everybody think
Loving this idea ! :3 Got two basic nations floating around in my head and looking forward to getting them down in writing. But I will probably be unable to participate in both the traditional and conquest RP if I'm accepted :( just would be biting off more than I can chew...

Edit: Getting it done! Just going to have to sleep on which trait to get rid of :( 1 over. Just got to ask a few quick questions:
What are the numbers required for crew on each type of ship? And do we have to list how much of each type we have?
Also, what are the chances that I can request my nation be plopped onto an island? :)3)

·
Reaper of Souls
1,303 Posts
Nation Name: The Republic of Esterwynne (Pronounced Ester-win)

Nation Government Type: Republic

People of Importance
The Council - 200 people who form the leaders of the Republic, they are evenly divided between Elves and Humans and a consul is elected from both, a man or woman who is willing to defend the land at all costs. The current consuls are Matrim, one of the greatest strategist to walk the halls of the School of War and Moiraire, the most powerful Elven Mage seen in Esterwynne since the death of the last Arch-Mage. Also important is the leader of The Warders; Lan Halfelven, a man and a Blademaster better would be almost impossible to find

Population:
23,414,143 at the last census; 17,515,628 of which were men and the rest Elves. But though the population is small this is not a country to be underestimated. Their mages are among the greatest in all of Kolnur, the very land bending to their will and their army is better trained than almost any since the time of the Alliance

Traits:

Special Trait
Power of the Elements - Long ago magic was studied in Kel Darvonhra, what is now the home of the Mages Guild of Esterwynne. And it was there that the ancient Mage Varokesh sought to bend the Gods to his will. He sacrificed the greatest and most powerful Mages in Kolnur and using their souls he created a magical vortex to bring all the magic in Kolnur to him. Drawing on this elemental force he reached into the heavens, from magic, powerful but understandable he reached into the realms of philosophy, theories and ideas and from philosophy he reached all the way to religion. And there his arrogance proved his undoing. The Gods crushed Varokesh and declared a curse on all his descendents. It was Varokesh’s son who was the first Arch Lich. But while Varokesh himself was incinerated, nay completely wiped from history so that even his own blood could not remember him, the vortex remained, though weakened considerably. Magic had been released in a rush with Varokesh’s death but the vortex still did its purpose, still drew in magic, though it released it over time. This has led to the mages of Esterwynne being much more powerful when near the vortex than they should have any right to be. Indeed a Mage drawing upon the vortex has been known to part the sea because or cause magma to rise from the depths of the earth to crush his foes. But men capable of this are few, one appearing every few hundred years. One has not been seen since the coming of the Shadow and he died fighting the Arch Lich, Deknar'Thuul. Another will not return for at least 200 years if there is indeed a pattern in the appearance of the Arch-Mages, as they have come to be known

National Traits
Men of Honour - Asking the people of Esterwynne to attack an innocent is like asking a Lich to not use Necromancy. You can ask, but it’s never going to happen

Population Traits
Loyal - If there is one thing you can rely on when it comes to the people of Esterwynne, it is their unfailing loyalty to the realm. They would never dream of betraying their country

Academic Traits
School of War - The School of War at Kel Delvolwen is one of the greatest military academies in the world; second to none, but equal with few. Within its walls have been taught some of the greatest military minds ever seen on Kolnur
Guild of Mages - The Guild of Mages is without a doubt the greatest of its kind. The lore within has lasted for millennia. It also holds the only record of Varokesh’s fate; to be used as a warning to all those who would attempt to use the vortex for selfish ends

Military Traits
For the Republic - The people of Esterwynne view military service as an honour and with good reason. Their soldiers are among the best trained, armed and armoured in Kolnur; the numbers of the army may be small, but there is no shortage of volunteers to replace those who fall in battle. If anything the only reason the army is so small is because there aren’t enough trainers to bring the soldiers to the level required
Elven Longbows - Each lovingly hand crafted by Elven artisans the longbows of Esterwynne are famed throughout Kolnur for their power. They are capable of punching arrows through heavy armour at close range and pierce light armour at distances of over 200 paces
Mithril - If there is one thing the dwarves envy Esterwynne for it is their Mithril mines. These mines, operated almost solely by magic, produce more Mithril than almost any other mine network in Kolnur and it is put to good use, armouring soldiers for war
Elven Craftsmanship - The weapons wielded by the soldiers of Esterwynne, from a foot soldier’s dagger to an officer’s long sword is crafted with Elven skill and woven with enchantments, turning what was simple metal into a killing device. The oldest blades even seem to have sentience infused into them, so great were the magics woven into their metal
Strategists - Trained in the Academy of War the Generals of Esterwynne are still some of the greatest in the world and with good reason for many of the Alliance's generals studied there also
Soldiers of the Line - The warriors of Esterwynne, though mostly famous for their mages are also famed throughout the lands for the masterful discipline of their front line soldiers. They have been trained to the peak of martial perfection and can march for days upon end and still be ready to fight at the end of it. It is for this that they are both respected and feared
Kill from a distance - The archers of Esterwynne are wonderful and just as famous as their frontline soldiers. They view the bow as a weapon of fate, rather than a tool for dealing death. To them, death is not something to be dealt, it is something to be gifted. Freedom from a life of darkness and depression
Fearless - Fear is alien to the soldiers of Esterwynne, who believe that the only honourable death is one where your death accomplishes something. It does not matter what that something is, be it as simple as warning others of a bandit raid and dying on the way or as great as sacrificing yourself so that the many might live, both are honourable to the people of Esterwynne

Elemental Magic Traits
Mastery of Magic - There are none in Kolnur to match the Mages of Esterwynne in their command of the elements. At the Guild of Mages resides the wisdom of thousands of the greatest Mages Kolnur has ever seen and with the words of these great men guiding them Esterwynne’s mages have surpassed all in their mastery of the arcane. They are capable of controlling the movements of the earth, forming flames hot enough to melt stone, commanding the tides and summoning storms

Racial Traits
Elves - The Elves of Esterwynne are masters of both archery and the arcane arts. They excel at both, so much so as to put many of their human counterparts to shame
Humans - The humans of Esterwynne are explorers by nature with a yearning to discover more of the world and so the maps in the School of War are some of the most detailed charts in Kolnur

Physical Traits
Dextrous - The warriors of Esterwynne’s natural dexterity has been only heightened by the punishing training regime they go through in order to join the military. They have superior reflexes and speed when compared with the average soldiers of other nations

Mental Traits
Intelligent - Above average intelligence is the norm in Esterwynne. This is possibly something to do with the huge amount of magic in Esterwynne, seeping into the people and changing them to be more receiving to magic
Magical nature - Though their natural intelligence is unexplained, only a fool could not understand why it is that the people of Esterwynne are attuned to magic. So steeped in it is the very air they breathe that it has bred an affinity to magic, which is what makes the people of Esterwynne such powerful Mages

Miscellaneous Traits
Portals - Through long study the Mages of Esterwynne have learnt how to construct magical portals between places, conveying a man distances that would take weeks to travel in the blink of an eye. These portals, discovered several centuries before, have since spread to every city in Esterwynne. Every outlying fort has one hidden, every lone watchtower has one. Once there needed to be multiple portals, each one only going to one place but in the greatest cities now there are huge archways that house one portal. Where the portal takes you depends on the arrangement of magical gems set into a circular plate that surrounds the archway. The Mages of Esterwynne fully understand the dangers of this and so the portals have been built with fail safes, capable of being activated even by those who have not the ability to bend nature to their will, though it takes one with Esterwynnian blood

Flaws
Honourable to a Fault - The soldiers of Esterwynne are against so much as sneaking up on the foe in order to gain a better chance in battle. Their concept of honour demands a battle where both sides are capable of fighting at their best
Cult of the Shadow - A cult of fools who believe that the Shadow is a thing to be worshipped, they came from a land crushed by the Shadow and none are of Esterwynne. They believe that the only way for the world to survive is to bow before that which is trying to destroy it. They attempt to carry out assassinations, seek to cause unrest and raid outlying settlements in the hope of weakening Esterwynne. For what, none can say...

Military strength

The Fall - This is what the coming of the Shadow has come to be known as by the people of Esterwynne. After it was done, the armies that once caused the foes of the Alliance to tremble at their coming was in ruins. Where once over a million men marched at the call of the Alliance now less than fifty thousand remain living, the rest burned in pyres, the smoke plumes of which could be seen from the dragon peaks of Aleria
The Sentinels - The frontline soldiers of Esterwynne, The Sentinels are crossed trained as heavy cavalry and heavy infantry. Every one of them is adept with the lance, the halberd, the sword and the shield. It is they who make up the bulk of the armies of Esterwynne and the sight of the Sentinels marching to battle has put fear into the hearts of foes uncountable. The Sentinels, though made up of both races, are vastly composed of humans for they are more suited to stand in the shield-wall than the graceful elves who also call Esterwynne their home. Their number was shattered, decimated by the countless conflicts as they struggled to save the Alliance. All for nought. But the seven thousand remaining are veterans of The Fall and they will never take a backwards pace, even in the face of certain death. Where once fear was rare, now it has ceased to exist in their hearts
The Guardians - Though they are not as feared as The Sentinels, they should be. The Guardians are trained as both light infantry and archers and it is they who cause the tracts of enemy dead from skilfully laid ambushes and devilish traps. It is they who darken the sun in battle with countless arrows. The arrows in flight make a sound that has come to be known as the Devil’s Harp Music for when they fall it as if Death himself has come to the battlefield and swept his scythe through the enemy. There are only six thousand of them remaining and they struggle to hold all the land they kept after The Fall. But they will never surrender
The War-Magi - These are not the fabled Arch-Mages, whom even the Arch-Lichs feared. But they are mages and they have no small supply of power. Mostly trained in fire and earth magics they immolate or crush their foes with ease though there are only a thousand of them remaining. But they are still the strongest mages in Kolnur. Woe betide he who dismisses that simple fact
The Warders - The mere rumour of The Warders joining the field of battle has ended countless battles before they had even begun. Quite possibly the best soldiers in Kolnur, they were renowned as such even before the Alliance fell to the shadow. It is they who halted the Shadow at the Battle of the Passes, the Siege of Karovonhra. It was they who drove the Shadow back and they who payed the steepest price. Once numbering in the thousands, nay the tens of thousands there are now less than five hundred remaining. But they stand unbowed and fearless. Should they march again as they once did, the Shadow itself will tremble at their coming

Distribution of forces and concentration of Civillians

Province 75

Civillians: 3,211,900

Military:
Mages - 1,000

Province 76

Civillians: 7,104,071

Military:
Warders - 200
Sentinels - 1,000
Guardians - 500

Province 77

Civillians: 6,914,137

Military:
Sentinels - 3,000
Guardians - 2,250

Province 78

Civillians: 6,184,035

Military:
Sentinels - 3,000
Guardians - 2,250

History

Bastion of Light
Champions of the Alliance
Founding Member
Republic
Nomads

That should all be accurate and if anyone is wondering, the 'Cult of the Shadow' incorporates the flaws Bandits, Cult of and Dangerous cult and the 'Mastery of Magic' includes the greater and lesser magics of every elemental facet as well as Master of the Elements. And the special trait has been agreed with Romero. Someone please tell me if I've used too many traits and I'll do my best to fix it. And I will expand on the History at a later date

Edit: Just so that everyone knows, The Warders are heavy infantry, light infantry, heavy cavalry and archers rolled into one. Be grateful there's only two hundred of them still alive. They're also the best of the best

·
Registered
951 Posts
It's done. I guess. Hopefully you'll like the idea, it took me a while to get through all of this. I also hope you don't mind that they don't really want to go invading, though I'm sure their teachings may lead to some good alliances...

NATION:
Nation Name: Salthiusar
Nation Government Type: Benign Dictatorship (i.e. they don’t care about politics and their ruler is the same as when they were founded)
People of Importance:
Hésperion (Co-founder, status unknown)
Irèsp (Co-founder, current ruler)
Calleis (Head Magus)
Population: c. 500,000 Elves (note: many of them are not truly elven, as the city attracts many students who settle into its society, and they entertain a number of visitors of other races)

Summary of populace*: The Salth (the name for all inhabitants of Salthiusar) are a community of book-lovers, philosophers and magi. Their city, Salthiusar, is home to the largest library of magic in the known world, and contains one of the greatest magic schools known also. They have a reproduction problem, as less than 1% of their race can reproduce, but they also enjoy immortality. As such, they rely greatly on a lack of war and incoming magical students to support their population, as their curse turns students into immortal elves (albeit with killing their reproductive system) at the end of a single month within Salthiusar.

TRAITS:
Special Trait: The Library in the city of Crystal: The Salth live in Salthiusar, a big city of crystal, with the greatest library and one of the greatest magic schools in the known world. As they’re all bookworms and mages, they don’t like to go conquering, but their city helps defend them from invaders.

National Traits: Homeland Security; Shhh, no-one’s noticed us yet!

Population Traits: Loyal; Industrious

Academic Traits: School of Wizardry

Military Traits: For King and Country! (They don’t really have much of a military, but they do have a lot of mages who are keen to defend the country and who will blast elements on the enemy)

Military Units Traits: Magi (all troops are magi)

Naval Traits: None!

Necromancy Traits: None!

Divine Magic Traits: None!

Elemental Magic Traits: Lesser Air; Greater Air; Lesser Water ; Greater Water ; Lesser Earth ; Greater Earth ; Lesser Fire ; Greater Fire. (One of these is the elven bonus trait)

Illusion Magic Traits: Cloak of Invisibility; Spectral Army

Technology Traits: N/A

Racial Traits: Elves – Elven High Mages

Physical Traits: None!

Mental Traits: Intelligent; Magical in Nature; Logical

Miscellaneous: Counterspelling; Divination; Portals; Immortal Ruler

Historical Traits: Isolationist; Leave me out of it; Wizards in hiding

Historical summary*: Founded long before the Alliance, the nation of Salth was formed by Hésperion and Iresp, a pair of friends, both mages trained by a kindly old mage. They shared a love of books, knowledge and most importantly magic. After their tutor’s death, they travelled far and wide, across the land, learning and collecting, until they eventually realised that a simple dwelling would be insufficient – they needed a better place. So they travelled to a distant land, after learning crystal singing from the masters, and imbued the land with magic. They sang, aided by a choir of those drawn to their cause, and, after weeks of tireless chanting, Salthiusar was built.

After some time, Hésperion realised that his and Iresp‘s lives would be over. So he began on a dire and dark quest. He sang a new tower from the mountain to the north, entered, and never returned. However, one night, Iresp went searching for him. He found the tower, found its darkest reaches, and conversed with Hésperion. He learned of the curse bestowed upon the nation, a curse with a flip-side. The population had been rendered mostly incapable of reproduction, but they also enjoyed one benefit – they had all become immortal. Time could not touch them, but Hésperion was lost to them.

The modern time is known by the Salth as the time of Shadow. Iresp rules the land fairly, though, like the entire populace, cares little for politics. Every person who stays even a month in Salthiusar gains the curse, but few who stay so long rarely wish to leave, save for voyages in the pursuit of new knowledge. The nation has a secret in Hésperion, who keeps in hiding in the northern tower. Some say that he has seen the future, the end times and all, but has become a slave to the gods. None know for certain, but there is something fishy in Salthiusar.

Flaws: Everyone has at least ONE dirty little secret, ours is just kinda big; Wimps; Trade Dependent

MILITARY:
Navy: None – they have no potentially useful naval routes, mostly because they live in a massive city of turquoise magic crystal.

Army: The nation has only 500 full-time soldiers, hired as both mages and protectors, but the citizens of the nation are all prepared to defend the land, so up to 50,000 are willing to fight in defence. They are all Magi.

*I know these aren't required and shouldn’t be on the sheet, but I felt like it’s a good thing to have there.

21 - 40 of 266 Posts