Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do you think they feel such shame in regards to half their legion turning against the Emperor that still exists even ten thousand years later while the White Scars do not?

Part of the shame the DA feel is because they do not want the Imperium to turn against them while the White Scars again lack this fear.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'm guessing it's a difference in culture.

In Scars, we see the khans as independent, free-thinkers. And the Khan wouldn't have it any other way. He purposely kept his homeworld organized at the tribal level.

The fact a good minority of his men wanted to side with Horus isn't in of itself wrong. They were practicing their own autonomy. The Khan stepped in and said no, but the khans were just following what they thought was best.

The Dark Angels, however, are a strict hierarchy where honor and loyalty are of utmost importance. Having thousands of them spit on their oathes to their sworn lords, the Emperor and the Lion, would be amongst the greatest shames a knight could commit.

And that's my gut reaction on the differences.

·
Registered
773 Posts
It is also the shame of doing what they did cost them their home world as well. They have just a fragment of it left (The Rock). The choice in part came down to them saying "Do we protect our own or do we help the greater cause." That is part of the shame, that if they would have protected their own they would have not lost their planet, but Chaos would have been in a better position. If they would have chosen to help the greater cause, maybe the fleet would not have reached earth and the emperor would have survived.
Equally a lot of the fallen didn't turn to chaos, they just chose to protect their own rather that follow the emperor.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm guessing it's a difference in culture.

In Scars, we see the khans as independent, free-thinkers. And the Khan wouldn't have it any other way. He purposely kept his homeworld organized at the tribal level.

The fact a good minority of his men wanted to side with Horus isn't in of itself wrong. They were practicing their own autonomy. The Khan stepped in and said no, but the khans were just following what they thought was best.

The Dark Angels, however, are a strict hierarchy where honor and loyalty are of utmost importance. Having thousands of them spit on their oathes to their sworn lords, the Emperor and the Lion, would be amongst the greatest shames a knight could commit.

And that's my gut reaction on the differences.
I haven't read the Scars book, but it sounds like the lesser Kahns were making a decision on their loyalty, but ultimately, they all fell in line with their Primarch. On the other hand Luther and the heretic Dark Angels were corrupted by Chaos before Horus came along, which leaves a major question mark about the ongoing genetic resistance of the Dark Angels to Chaos, not just their loyalty of the moment. If I remember correctly, wasn't one of the two 'lost' legions supposed to have had corruption issues as the reason for their purge by the Wolves?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Also I guess the other reason they hunt the fallen and hide their shame is that if someone like Cypher ended up in Spacewolf claws, then with enough torture and stuff they could end up bringing up all sorts of stuff that the High Lords of Terra might take issue with and order the extermination of the order.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
On the other hand Luther and the heretic Dark Angels were corrupted by Chaos before Horus came along, which leaves a major question mark about the ongoing genetic resistance of the Dark Angels to Chaos, not just their loyalty of the moment.
I'm not sure if that'd make it better or worse.

If they've been corrupted by Chaos, that's a way out. "Oh, no, I didn't mean to turn against the Emperor, it's just that Chaos got into my head and..."

Which, to me, sounds better than turning against the Emperor on your own freewill.

Then again there's the argument that Chaos doesn't do anything but unlock our inner most desires. So your mileage may vary.

f I remember correctly, wasn't one of the two 'lost' legions supposed to have had corruption issues as the reason for their purge by the Wolves?
I'm personally (due to the conversation between Guilliman and the Space Wolf sergeant in The Unremembered Empire) of the opinion that the first Legion the Wolves were unleashed wholesale against was the Thousand Sons.

I don't know if there's any specific information about what caused the purge of the two missing Legions. I think in Extermination it does hint at some Chaos taint. I don't have the book handy, but I'll check when I'm at home.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The thought struck me in the shower this morning, but this should be one of the more obvious answers.

We know that, on the whole, the White Scars are loyal. Why? When Horus came a knockin' at Terra, it was the Blood Angels, Imperial Fists, and White Scars that held fast to Terra. There could be no doubt on who the White Scars ultimately supported.

The Dark Angels don't have this accolade. As Curze warned the Lion about the Dark Angels appearing to be fence-sitters, despite them fighting and dying for the Emperor against the Night Lords.

That's probably another reason why the Dark Angels are so devoted to hiding their secret.

·
Registered
52 Posts
1. The First are always the proudful perfectionists, different in way form that of EC's but still. Angelis Tenebrarum is the best, brightest and purest than any other Legions/Chapters(and undoubtedly, they were, and are, always one of the best). It is not an option. It is an absolute proposition. As the first, they must be the best of the best. Their overall performance and attainment are already most pure and capable, no doubt. But that is not enough. That is their fundamental mindset. They simply cannot acknowledge many of their number turned traitors. as revealed in recent DA novel Ravenwing, even members of Ravenwing do not know exactly what happened in the age of darknessㅡtheir information is hopelessly, unscrupulously distorted, twisted, and even completely fabricated. Moreover they are first and foremost Knight Order of Caliban, and definitely do not want mar their already tarnished honour-they hold great sense of compunction they could not arrive Throneworld earlier enough, thus could not protect precious Terra and deliver their beloved emperor-with recognize existence of traitors among their rank and file, and indeed, their supposed 'treachery'.
And I personally think their is other reasonㅡsurvival of their beloved, precious and honourable chapter form existential threat of without, aka Inquisition, so to speak.

2. In the Scars, Great Khan himself asserted to the Death Lord in the whole of Primarchs, he alone is not a tyrant. And certainly he gives greater autonomy and freedom than any other Legions, save perhaps the 19th and the 20th. However, each Khan give his fealty to the Great Khan, and it seems Warhawk is always expecting his subordinates are utterly loyal to him alone, not to Imperium, not even to the Emperor. Indeed, in the White Scars were formulating a sort of personality cult of their Primarch competitive any other Legions, perhaps on the same rank that of Luna and Space Wolves(interestingly, these Legions share common ground of relatively loose command structure and greater personal autonomy and degree of freedom)ㅡsuch is the price of given freedom, and Jaghatai exasperated than ever by the fact approximately a third of his Legion turn to rebel ungratefully.
Of course, even then, he is like a saint compare to Mortarion, and indeed, most of his warp-methodological-sense-of 'Brothers', especially those turned traitors, even before outbreak of Heresy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
An sudden Idea

Summary Categorization of most-more-average-less Hierarchical Legions;

Most Hierarchical Legions: The First(Dark Angels), Emperor's Children, Iron Warriors, Iron Hands, Ultramarines.

More Hierarchical Legions: Imperial Fists, Death Guard, World Bearers, Alpha Legion.

Average Hierarchical Legions: Blood Angels, World Eaters, Thousand Sons, Salamanders.

Less Hierarchical Legions: White Scars, Space Wolves, Night Lords, Luna Wolves, Raven Guard.

This list is observing prescribed Legion Number and completely focusing only to degree of 'Hierarchical' among order of rank and completely disregarding about degree of Hierarchical or intimacy/comradeship amongst individual Legionaries. For example, Salamanders and Alpha Legion certainly have more-or-less complex hierarchy but each and every individual members possesses high degree of right of speak and conduct and almost completely equal outside theater of war and their Primarch mingling freely and unreservedly with their sons whereas the likes of Luna Wolves and Night Lords maintain very complex hierarchy among individual Captains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.