Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read the book recently, and definitely enjoyed it the most of all the David Annandale pieces I have read, I thought I would answer questions about the book if anyone has any.

The most important thing you should be aware of about the 30th Horus Heresy novel if you are a Heresy reader is this. It is NOT part of the main series in the sense that it doesn't have any Primarchs, it doesn't advance the galactic war any further, it doesn't feature the machinations of the Traitor Legions, no revelations about the lost truth in the Heresy, and the storyline started in the book ends in the book.

That said I do strongly feel this is a book that Heresy fans will enjoy. It's well written, lots of strong and memorable action scenes, interesting characters and comparison of character aspects through the book, and it has a spooky horror feel to it which gives it a sense of uniqueness in the series thus far. How many of the books have actually gone for spooky rather than just gory? So while Book 30 may not deal with the main plot I still think it is worth reading, especially since it is Annandale's first real foray into the Heresy and I think that he has done a damn good job. Hopefully he'll be doing a lot more, a fresh face in the Heresy will add more variety to the books.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the release date is July, August at the latest. That is just a guess going off some side-information, nothing official.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it a novella, or fully fledged novel? Any chance of a brief idea of the plot?
It is a full novel.

As for the plot; The book is about the 111th Clan-Company of Iron Hands that are fleeing Istvaan and travel to the planet Pythos to explore a warp anomaly and end up as part of a series of events that could result in something very dark occurring. The story is about them trying to survive both the wounds Istvaan has left them with, and trying to survive the horrors that Pythos begins to inflict.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Iron Hands. Nice. My interest in them has been piqued after reading that short story the name of which escapes me atm in which
You mean Riven by John French.

One of the key aspects of the book is looking at how the Iron Hands are dealing with Istvaan, what they think of what happened and who they blame, and what the events of Istvaan are leading them to become; the last one in the form of Captain Durun Atticus who is probably the closest thing to a 40k Iron Hand that we've seen in 30k thus far.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need massive spoilers.

What 'dark anomaly' do they face on this backwaters planet?
That would be;

Just so you know. The above is the ONLY link that The Damnation of Pythos shares with the book mentioned above, and it doesn't even give a name to the cache. It's obvious if you've read the other book but if not it will not affect your reading of TDoP even slightly.

If you want really massive spoilers I can post a summary of the plot.

LotN

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
meh. an overglorified tear in reality that summons daemonz that ties to a book where a traitor inquisitor spits through a stasis field, destroying everything we've come to know about stasis fields in one disgusting act. RIP Gullyman.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
meh. an overglorified tear in reality that summons daemonz that ties to a book where a traitor inquisitor spits through a stasis field, destroying everything we've come to know about stasis fields in one disgusting act. RIP Gullyman.
Well regardless of how you feel about Pandorax and it's depiction of technology, Damnation of Pythos's only link to it is that they are set on the same planet, and you see the Cache before the tear was made.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
507 Posts
There a reason or you just don't feel like getting it?

LotN
Maybe because it seems rather pointless? Series have gone way too much off ite course and reading yet again anothe istvaan survivor story is too much. Leave those survivor stories to shortstory collections, move along. I like HH era books as much as many here, but enough is enough.

They dont even feel like survivors anymore, as they are featured on everyother novel. Leave them be for awhile.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
There a reason or you just don't feel like getting it?

LotN
Honestly, because I haven't enjoyed a single plot-line surrounding the survivors of Isstvan (despite there being great potential). I'm not particularly interested in the Pythos plot (concerning the Cache). I haven't read anything by David Annandale before, so I wouldn't read it for the author. It's now well-known that it adds nothing to the overall story-arch. The synopsis doesn't interest me in the slightest; survivors of Isstvan (again) and the 'darkness coming to consume them all' is obviously the Cache given that we know it's set on Pythos, effectively I already know the story without reading it.

And to be honest, it's ridiculous that the Shattered Legions are featuring more in the series than some of the key figures (Horus and the XVI Legion included).

Considering this is Annandale's first novel contribution to the series (and assuming the authors still pitch their own novel ideas) this is an odd pitch. To be honest, I'm surprised this story warranted a whole novel when other key events (eg. The Battle of Phall) only got a novella, short story or less. With a bit of editing, this could have easily made a 40k novel rather than being book 31(?) of the Horus Heresy series - especially at a time when some people seem to be getting fatigued with the series.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does it show what the next title is on the inside flap?
No. But if the information we've seen about the HH series is correct it will either be the Fall of the Death Guard novel by James Swallow or The Crimson King by Graham McNeill.

LotN

1 - 20 of 43 Posts