Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
This is one PM I like, mark my words. Also, I like how you converted those noise weapons, simple but sure effective.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Flicked through the PL and I can't get the image of a Steampunk-ish Aquanaut out of my head.

Nice variation on Nurgle colours (echoing Svartmetal)!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Those noise marines are cracking! I may have to do this myself >_>. What did you use for the power cables on those weapons? All in all, a great looking army! +rep

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Love that defiler, awesome work. The only thing I would do is add some tanks (or amps) to the backpacks of those noise marines just to make them that little bit more different.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Thanks all!

What did you use for the power cables on those weapons? All in all, a great looking army!
The big cable on the Blastmaster is copper wire taken out of a regular electrical cable, the medium ones are mid-gauge guitar strings and the thinnest ones are some kind of modelling wire, they come in coils and are called "scientific wire", but I have no idea where they came from. Hope that helps!

Also Jacobite that's a good call that I'll keep in mind for subsequent noise marines. Not sure whether or not I'll tamper with these guys further.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
432 Posts
The big cable on the Blastmaster is copper wire taken out of a regular electrical cable, the medium ones are mid-gauge guitar strings and the thinnest ones are some kind of modelling wire, they come in coils and are called "scientific wire", but I have no idea where they came from. Hope that helps!
I figured it was copper! Very handy, now all I have to do is find those metal guitar strings I bought for my guitar that needed nylon strings.... Then I can convert a heap of my space marines (unpainted) into Noise Marines.. like yours! Uggghhh... if its ok that is... Maybe don't look at my PLOG.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I figured it was copper! Very handy, now all I have to do is find those metal guitar strings I bought for my guitar that needed nylon strings.... Then I can convert a heap of my space marines (unpainted) into Noise Marines.. like yours! Uggghhh... if its ok that is... Maybe don't look at my PLOG.....
That wouldn't be a problem at all! Though I probably will look at your plog, I'm interested in anybody's conversions for the cult marines :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Hello Heretics!

This log has been pretty inactive largely due to the fact I am rapidly nearing the end of my final year in college and have been really busy working on an animation piece for that. I have however been tinkering away in my spare time at a couple of minor projects which I present to you all now.

I've been trying my hand at converting Lasguns to Autoguns, and I'm very pleased with the results! I'm doing this because I plan to get some catachans in the not too distant future and want to make them into cultists with the possibility of using them as renegade guard when there are enough of them.

I based the conversion on this simple and effective tutorial: http://forums.tauonline.org/conversion/48939-autogun-shotgun-tutorial.html

Typically, I have only just gotten round to painting the Chaos Lord that came with Dark Vengeance when I first started this army. He was in limbo for a long time because when I "Nurgled him up" I didn't know I'd be expanding into armies for the other gods. Had I known that I think I would have saved him for Tzeentch or Slaanesh. In any case, he was irreversibly Nurglified but felt a little too ornate for the army. Recently I decided to convert him into a sorcerer, so a minor conversion later and I was happy with him. I painted him in the last few days:

Apart from the greenstuff Nurglification process all I did was swap the plasma pistol hand for the left hand of the missile launcher marine from the new space marine kit. I was going for a pose to suggest that he is casting. I also stuck on a pistol holster from the khorne berzerker sprue so he is still WYSIWYG.

Finally, I made a deal with a friend who dabbled in the hobby but has left it and got a nice little second hand reinforcement in the form of 10 Berzerkers, 2 Terminators and, most excitingly, my second Vindicator. I also got the rest of his paints, which is handy.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I dig that nurglified sore-cerer :grin:, the convertion looks very nice indeed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Hello heretics!

It has been an awfully long time since my last post, and indeed since the last significant development in my army.

When I last wrote, I had just gotten some second hand models from a friend. At the time, I worked on the Berzerkers, stripping them of paint and converting them where necessary (Some of them were in rather unfeasible positions). That wasn't a considerable enough development to post about, or maybe I was just too busy. In any case, no further work was done on those fellows. They need a little greenstuffing work and then a paintjob but I haven't got any undercoat at the moment so I've moved on to my second Vindicator after having a bit of inspiration.

I have begun the Nurglification process by shaving off imperial insignia, drilling numerous holes and cutting chips off the tank. I still need to do a fair bit of greenstuffing and then the liquid greenstuff corrosion process.

I've made two alternative turret options for this (or other) vehicles.

The first is a Plague Marine gunner with an ominous gaze:

The second and more exciting turret is this one I made to represent a possessed vehicle:

The greenstuff work is still very rough around the edges, especially the tentacle. It's just a first, foundation layer of sorts that I am going to file down where necessary and layer up for detail. It's made out of the tail from the daemon prince kit and a couple of chopped up tyranid ammo feed arms. The short one is going to be an eye stalk. I really like the profile it gives to the model.

Looking back at my oldest models, it's interesting how I started the army intending to avoid mutations like this. I wanted to achieve the Nurgle effect purely through rust and corrosion. I quickly realised that to generate visual diversity and interest I needed to add fleshy parts. Now I'm really enjoying the modelling variety brought about by these mutations.

This brings me nicely to say that I have ordered a box of catachans along with a plethora of bits from various sources, with a view to starting a lost and the damned/renegade guard detachment to ally with the Corroded Host and their Daemon allies (the Caustic Incursion). I have a pretty good idea of how I want them to look and will be experimenting with lots of characterful mutations and other conversions. I've also ordered the new Imperial Armour lost and the damned book so I am pretty excited to be getting back into the hobby.

I hope to hear from you all soon :)

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Ooooh, I very much like that second Vindi turret option... and really, I'd try to throw DP on a Vindi just about every game, if possible.

This brings me nicely to say that I have ordered a box of catachans along with a plethora of bits from various sources, with a view to starting a lost and the damned/renegade guard detachment to ally with the Corroded Host and their Daemon allies (the Caustic Incursion).
Ah, wonderful. Some other suggestions of kits you can dig into for more excellent IGesque heretics:

- Dark Vengeance Cultists
- Empire Flagellants
- Zombies (how nurglish!)
- Beastmen Ungors
- A light sprinkling of Cadians, perhaps, for more variety in limb size and such than the overlarge Catachans exclusively.

...plus whatever cool ordered bits you have coming, of course!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
Thank you!

All those kits do seem like really good sources. I struggled for a long time on what to get to start this project and really I'm so spoiled for choice, it just comes down to not wanting to spend too much! (as is so often the case in our hobby)

I ordered the gas mask heads from pig iron, I've seen them used really effectively with catachans. I also got various pouches and shoulder pads from some ork kits that I plan to spread around a bit. I've already converted up some autoguns (you can see them a page or two back). Got a couple of odd bits and bobs too, like the head in stocks from the flagellant it and a cybernetic arm with sword which I thin came from the cadian command sprue.

I'm tentatively going for a bit of a theme. I picked up a sprue of skaven plague monks. As well as five rat men (which I'll probably turn into mutants down the line) it comes with accessories like bells, flags, hand weapons and loads of rat heads as well as some giant rats. I think there will be a large number of mutated rat men (catachans with skaven heads and bulbous greenstuff mutations.)

In the background for my army, these would have been the native military, prisoners, gang members or what have you on the hive world where the corroded host turned to chaos, and just lie the marines themselves they haven't escaped Nurgle's touch.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
So I have received my catachans, pig iron heads and skaven bits. I am staving off the desire to immediately start making my freak men but I'm probably better off waiting until my book arrives so I know exactly what my choices are when equipping them. I am also still waiting on a few bits.

However, for now, I have taken some of the bits I got, and made some blu-tack assembled mock ups of how some of my renegades might look.

That last one takes a bit of imagination. The white tack is a very crude approximation of some appropriately hideous greenstuff sculpted flesh. I'm currently thinking that a relatively wide use of skaven bits will be a bit of a theme with this army. Not just the heads either. The plague monk sprue I got came with some really cool things like bells and a tattered banner. My favourite bits are the large rats. They look suitably diseased and I think I'll enjoy decorating some of the larger bases, like those of heavy weapons teams, with them.

Last but not least, I wanted to show you all this. Imagine my delight when I opened my catachans (ordered directly from the GW website) and I found this in the box:

A Nurgle badge! It's as if they knew these catachans were destined to fight for Nurgle. Has anybody else seen these? It was a great surprise!

I played my first game in a very long time today, and for the first time I used the chaos daemons codex, with a few allied plague marines. I think wearing this badge meant the gods were on my side as I managed to win the game by summoning two large units of plague bearers on the warp storm table on the final two turns!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Hi all,

It's been quite a while!
Over the last few years I have done virtually no hobby stuff. I work as an animator and I also make animations in my free time so whenever I get time to sit down and be creative, it tends to be drawing rather than painting or modelling Warhammer...

That said there have been a few developments!

In my last post I introduced my plans for some renegade guard to go with my Nurgle force. What I ended up with is a significantly less mutated look. This is because I got the Imperial Armour 13 book and ant to save the heavy mutations for a mutant rabble squad somewhere in the future...

Unfortunately I made the mistake of undercoating them in a humid room and the spray coat is uneven. I really don't want to strip them as they are pretty fragile and I have done the basing and everything. I'm hoping it will just give them a slightly dirty, Nurgly look and not ruin them.

Here they are undercoated:

Around a year ago I got the Betrayal at Calth box set. Most of it is still unassembled. The first thing I did was work on the Contemptor for The Corroded Host:

I don't like the face this model came from so I used the robotic Defiler head bit instead. Aside from the usual Nurglification process, I repositioned a leg slightly, built up the urban rubble base with plastic, and converted the assault cannon into a Butcher Cannon (I think that's what it is, can't seem to remember and don't have the book to hand).

I built up some of the marines from the calth box into Noise Marines:

I used similar conversions as on my first set of NMs, but I also used some raptor parts like the shoulder pads with vox grilles. I'm going to mingle the two squads for an even spread of parts. I'm especially fond of the aspiring champion for this group. Somewhere in time I also picked up the 30th anniversary marine. He is going to become another aspiring champion for a third set of noise marines.

All the above was done many months ago. I got the index chaotica apocrypha as a christmas gift and it has led to a new wave of motivation. Whether or not I find the time to meet that motivation will remain to be seen!
My next planned step is to paint some of this stuff, starting with the renegade guard. I'm actually a little nervous about it, because (and I can't believe this is true) I haven't painted a model in almost 3 years!

My plans for the rest of my unbuilt stuff is something like this:
Cataphractii Terminators will be devoted to Slaanesh, along with the terminator character that came with Calth as a Slaanesh lord. I have no idea yet what to do with the chaplain style character from Calth. Maybe another dark apostle.
I have 15 mk4 marines left from the box, but I have also been a bit frivolous and bought a sprue of ten mk3 marines from the newer box set on ebay. Between them, all those marines will probably come to another set of noise marines, and either 2 squads of Plague marines, or 1 squad of Plague marines and 1 heavy bolter havoc squad. In fact after typing that out I think I should have enough marines there for the 2 plague squads AND the havoc squad!

If you read all that, thanks! This post has been part of an effort to motivate myself to do something with all my unbuilt and unpainted men :)

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
Good to see you posting again, there's always room for more Nurgle :) The IA13 book is a goldmine for Chaos stuff (since we now have rules for Giant Spawn, it would be rude of me to not make one) isn't it? Looking forwards to seeing how that Contemptor turns out...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Welcome back! That noise champion is super sexy! are you going to paint them emperor children style or just "slaaneshi"?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Thanks guys!
Yeah the book is amazing! But have you seen the index chaotica? It's full of old artwork and background that is so inspiring :)
I posted my first unit of Noise marines a few years back but here they are to show you the colour scheme:

Very much based on the Emperor's Children colour scheme but a little different. Looking at them now I feel they are a bit too elegant. I like my noise marines loud... At this point in time repainting is decidedly off the table though!

101 - 120 of 121 Posts