Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I haven't played those games but I have been told the dread should be called "Big Daddy".

As I said though I can't take credit for the searchlight idea. I did some searching and found the original model which I stole the idea from here:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?349929-Lighting-up-the-forges-revamped-Iron-Warriors

I've just started painting the rest of my Plaguebearers and the Plague Drones, and after that it'll probably be more Plague marines.

Thanks again for the compliments :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Plaguebearers and Plague Drones update

I've more or less finished painting my Plague Drones and also five more Plague bearers. This time I used a white undercoat rather than my usual black as there are obviously a lot of flesh areas. It worked a lot better to such an extent that it makes the older Plague bearers look underwhelming in comparison. The only problem is that it makes the bases harder to add darkness and depth to.

I'm very pleased with the flies. They were fiddly to paint and I'll definitely stick the riders on after painting in the future but I think they look good anyway. They aren't completely finished. I'm considering maybe adding more highlights to the carapace and possibly using gloss varnish on it to make it look like shiny bug exoskeleton. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this as I'm a little afraid to put the varnish on in case it looks bad.

I'll be using white undercoat for all future models with mostly flesh areas for this army as it makes the whole process a lot easier in spite of aforementioned base problems.

C & C welcome as always!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Eww, that fleshtone sure makes them look really sick. Great work there!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
god, that fleshtone....sickening! great work!

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Great work! :good:

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Nice contrast between the flesh and the black, haven't seen it done before and it really works. Nice job.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I would not want to touch those with a 10" barge pole...which is a good thing xD good job

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Oooh, fleshtone. I was considering doing something similarish when I finally get around to my Nurgle daemons (at least a white base with white/yellow/green/pink/something skin--lighter shades that usual, whatever), so it's nice to see that this can be pulled off so well.

The dark touches on the flies--their wings and carapaces--really contrast well, there. Nicely done.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Hey friends!

Just wanted to show my latest finished (apart from final basing details) unit of Plague Marines. I now have 28 fully painted in service of the Corroded Host, and another one assembled.

Originally I bought a box of Chaos marines and one of the new loyalist tactical box sets. I did this so I could make lots of Plague Marines and mix and match components from the loyalist kit like the different armour marks, the aiming arms and the different weapons and accessories. But I don't really need 6 units of Plague marines. Not yet anyway. So I think I am going to make the remaining 7 into the start of a Slaanesh warband.

I want to make sure that these guys look cool and aren't made just for the hell of it, but having said that I don't want to spend a fortune on a small squad either, so I've taken the option of converting my own sonic weapons. For the sonic Blasters, I will probably just stick the gargoyle head accessories to boltguns and add cables and gubbins, removing the ammo clips and all that. Like so:

I saw that done elsewhere on the internet and I think it looks fine. However, the Blastmaster poses a bigger problem. I have a few ideas and I'd like to know what you think. The photos aren't great and everything is bluetacked together, and I didn't want to cut up pieces in case I don't end up using them, so some use of the imagination is necessary. Here are some of my ideas:

Missile launcher arms and dirge caster:

Missile launcher arms and defiler bit:

Heavy bolter and dirge caster:

Heavy bolter and defiler bit:

The main problem I see witht he missile launcher is that it still looks like a missile launcher with the defiler bit. I hope to alleviate that with strategic use of other components such as cables and some sort of grill.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I would definately go with the heavy bolter and dirge caster combo - That looks really good if you wish to kitbash a blastmaster :D I would remove the ammobelt though, as it doesn't really make sense to have a ammobelt on a sonic weapon.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Thanks for the input guys.

I think I'm going to go with the heavy bolter and dirge caster as suggested, but I'm still liking the dirge caster with missile launcher. I've definitely narrowed it down to one of those two. I'm going to build the rest of the squad and think about it a bit more before I commit to one or the other.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Very nice ideas for sonic weapons; might take them in consideration if you don't mind :)
Though, I was also thinking a little about converting guitars...

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
For the sonic Blasters, I will probably just stick the gargoyle head accessories to boltguns and add cables and gubbins, removing the ammo clips and all that.
Might want to remove the ammo belt there, too, since it's basically a clip.

Fun noise weapon conversions--more or less what I settled on, though I only had to come up with Blastmasters, given that I could use my dozen-and-a-half extra Instruments (horns, basically) that I haven't used from my Daemons army as Sonic Blasters.

·
Registered
313 Posts
But, do sonic weapon use actual kinds of ammo, really? I thought they were just batteries, simply in-built into the gun?

61 - 80 of 121 Posts