Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The Hellbrute looks much better now, it actually looks quite impressive now that you've added in the brighter flesh colour. As has been said before, the rust is looking excellent, and as for the white, have you considered painting 'stripey' white, where by you paint perhaps a bleached bone colour underneath and then paint lots of thin stripes of white over the top, I've seen it done very well on Nurgle units before.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
WIP bikers and completed Havocs

Thanks, I think the Helbrute is a vast improvement too. I can tell you it was nerve wracking painting over the model in sloppy white, but it all paid off in the end! I know the stripey effect you mean. In fact, when I was first thinking about schemes, I was considering doing the entire army in that dirty white effect. I haven't actually tried it, but I think the solid white works for me. I probably should give it a go.

Now for some more project shots:

WIP bikers awaiting paintjob:

Next, painted Havocs:

Sorry for the flood of pictures. In one of the biker shots, you can see another WIP plague marine squad in the background. I ran into some issues stripping old models. I couldn't get all the paint off and then it sort of bonded with the plastic. Thank goodness for Nurgle or these guys would be unacceptable.

C & C appreciated!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finished Bikers and the new Warlord of The Corroded Host!

Hey guys,

I've been doing a LOT of modelling recently. I've converted and undercoated a squad of Raptors, and my third unit of Plague Marines. I've also got a Vindicator well underway, with just a few more modelling features to be done before it's ready for a coat of paint. Today though, I want to show you the painting I've done lately:

I finished painting the bikers:

You might notice that on some of the wheels, there is grey in the recesses. This isn't meant to be the case. Somehow Nuln oil dried into a kind of pale grey. Can anybody tell me why this is? could it be that I didn't shake it enough beforehand? It's easily fixed but I'd like to avoid it happening again.

Say hello to the new Warlord of The Corroded Host: Calliphorus the Lost!

He's primarily a simple conversion but I went to town a little on the nurgly greenstuffing. If you're wondering what he's equipped with, it's a powerfist and "the Beacon" (yet to be named properly).

The beacon is an artefact dating back to the time when the Corroded Host used to be a loyalist chapter: the Brotherhood of the Beacon. As chapter master, Calliphorus was responsible for maintaining it. It used to represent the Emperor's light shining in the dark reaches of the galaxy where the brotherhood fought in his name, but a tragic incident changed all that. The chapter was called to an imperial world where a daemonic incursion had taken place deep within a hive city. Such was the chaos, the entire Brotherhood of the Beacon went in to purge Nurgle's rot from the city. Sadly, when The Brotherhood of the Beacon returned, they were gruesomely changed. Now everywhere the beacon shines, rot and disease erupt. If it is turned on a mortal man, and if his resolve isn't enough to fight it, the sickly light will instantly turn him into a sickening pile of useless fleshy slag and distended organs.

Rules wise, the Beacon counts as the Burning Brand of Skalanthrax.

I'm really pleased with him. I'm proud to have him as the deserving and characterful leader of my force! but of course I'd love to know what everybody here thinks.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Very very nice! the Fly head is disturbing :D
Great work!

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I just read through your whole log, and your army is looking great! I enjoy the change from traditional nurgle styles. I think you're combination of simple paint scheme and strong conversions works very well.

I think you might want to consider painting in more "dried drips." For example, using the argrax in a careful line down from a joint, or edging along the armor term. You could apply this to the white but I don't think it's necessary. Your earlier instinct to increase the contest in the models was absolutely right. The dark vengeance models looked fairly well painted but difficult to read.

What method were you using to strip paint from your older models? Paint-stripping can also be an iterative process. Dip, soak, scrub with a toothbrush, start over.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks very much for the comments and compliments!

I used acetone free nail polish remover as the stripping medium. soaked for a short time, then scrubbed with a toothbrush as you said. I used the same method a few years back to strip off some old Tau suits and it worked just fine. I think I may have just been impatient and made a silly mistake, ie rinsing them before they were ready. I've since heard that if you run water over them while there is still a lot of the stripper there it can bond the old paint to the model, so you get nasty textures stuck on.. I tried repeating the strip but it didn't solve the problem. The heavy bolter marine is the worst case, the plague marines i've done more recently don't look as bad, though the problem is still there. At least it's Nurgle, so it's at least a little understandable! I'll just have to be more careful next time! I guess I should also use something more gentle on plastic minis, as it worked great on the few metal bits I've recycled too.

And thanks for the tips on washing, I'll continue to experiment, but it's good to know you think it's working :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
On the nuln oil coming out grey instead of black... had it do that to me before, have had it come out kinda greenish and also had it come out super glossy (always looked undry) from my own experience it all comes down to it not getting mixed up super well but it could also depend on how it mixes with the other paints if theyre not 100% dry (my guess is not shaken enough)

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
On the nuln oil issue, I often mix it with lahmian medium which both changes the consistency and decreases the gloss.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Nice piece of fluff about the beacon, are you going to expand upon the process of corruption more, I'd really like to read that. Are those biker helmets also Max Mini?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yep the two bikers with plasma guns have Maxmini heads. they are both from the "Biohazard helmets" set. The champion's is just a greenstuff blob with tubes stuck in. I haven't really made any concerted effort to compile or properly express the army's background in writing, but I have thought about it quite a lot, so I definitely will consider those things more. Thanks for the interest!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
New Plague Marines, WIP Vindicator and my birthday!

Hey guys, just a little update today.

I finished my third squad of Plague Marines. I'm happy with how they came out, considering these are the guys I had problems with when stripping them.

I also thought I might as well show you the Vindicator I'm working on. I'll probably do a little more to it before painting, as I've run out of undercoat anyway.

Finally, as it was my birthday yesterday, my girlfriend made me a wonderful card featuring Calliphorus the Lost!

Isn't that awesome?!

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Great plog; I love the color scheme and the conversions are quite inventive. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hey guys!

Just finished my unit of Raptors!

Some close ups:

And their leader:

Keep in mind that the photos kind of wash out the whites and fleshy areas, they are much dirtier in person.

They are mostly just the chaos marine box set. The jump packs and some of the heads are Maxmini.
I'm looking forward to using them in game, hopefully they will wreak havoc on the playing field!

Let me know what you think! :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm looking forward to using them in game, hopefully they will wreak havoc on the playing field
Nah, only Havocs can do that :grin:

I can't help but notice that the chainsword on your last mini comes from the Raptor's box. So why didn't you use the original jetpacks, which are the same minus the studs?

Oh and Calliphorus looks awesome :eek:k:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Nah, only Havocs can do that :grin:

I can't help but notice that the chainsword on your last mini comes from the Raptor's box. So why didn't you use the original jetpacks, which are the same minus the studs?

Oh and Calliphorus looks awesome :eek:k:
Thanks very much!

I didn't actually have the Raptor set. I like the jump packs and weapons but the models are a bit too detailed for me. I find the regular chaos marine kit to be easier to make Nurgly.
I actually ordered that chainsword from a bits shop online, simply because I wanted a cool looking weapon for the leader. I got the possessed backpack of the biker champion and the claw and face of Calliphorus there too so it wasn't too excessive!

21 - 40 of 121 Posts