Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about a doing a Nurgle army for quite some time. The release of Dark Vengeance made me finally get some of the models and start the army, but the true catalyst for the creation of this dread legion was a miracle. A local hobby store that was my nearest GW stockist decided they weren't selling enough so they would no longer carry GW stuff. Thus was created the Half Price GW Blowout! Needless to say I grabbed most of their CSM stuff and a few of the loyalist sets too.

I'm sorry to say I should have started this log back then (september) but I figured I might as well start now. I have nearly 1000 points pretty much fully painted but there is a lot more in the pipeline (that's my reasoning for this being a project log, and I'm new so if this shouldn't be here please do alert me)

Without further ado, here is the Corroded Host thus far:

I hope the colour scheme is interesting! I want this to be an example of an obviously Nurgle worshipping force that isn't sickly green. The emphasis is on rust, hence the army's name. Here is the as yet unnamed first Dreadnought:

Plague Marines squad 1:

Plague marines squad 2:

And the Rhino:

You may notice there aren't actually any dark vengeance models there... That's because I was unhappy with the colour scheme and changed it to the new one you see above. I have not yet repainted the dark vengeance models so you can see the original scheme here:

The problem with the old scheme was the lack of definition. Everything was very brown and muddy. I now paint the fleshy areas in a contrasting colour and add sections of white armour to break things up further. I feel pretty good about it so far.

Here is what I am working on at the moment: The Terminator squad.

And this is the Blind Lord:

I feel kind of like I should have made him more disgusting and that's why I haven't started painting him yet. I may increase his dose of Nurgle's Rot!

My plans for the immediate future include a biker squad, a heavy bolter Havoc squad, a team of Raptors and a second Dreadnought. All of the components for these guys I either have or is currently on its way in the mail. Also I plan to strip these guys to make a further squad of 7 Plague Marines:

They are relics from about 8 years ago!

I have some background story for the army as well as more detailed plans, but I've said enough for now. I'll try to update fairly often.

C&C appreciated!

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Welcome to the boards first of all. Nice to see more Irish members.:victory:

A very nice deviation from the more traditional Nurgle schemes. What did you use for the rust? It looks like a weathering powder, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also, where's this local store of yours, and is it still doing 50% off?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Unfortunately there is no longer any stock remaining. It was the Athlone branch of "Art and Hobby". I believe other branches around the country were doing the same thing, but this was back in september and as you can imagine, all the stock disappeared rather quickly. I've still got quite a bit of it unassembled, and a friend of mine got pretty much a whole apocalypse sized marine army there.

as for the rust, the models were textured beforehand using liquid greenstuff, and then simply painted using GW paints. the rust itself was vermin brown and then solar macharius orange I think. not sure on the modern equivalents. Also the dreadnought and some of the marines were old models. They had some heavy paintwork already done but I didn't strip them completely as that added to the nurgly effect.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Don't you dare strip those Iron Warriors, brother!

That's a very nice looking army you have here! If you can get your hands on it, I recommend the "Cool Mini or Not's Guide to Painting Miniatures", it has an extensive tutorial on how and where to paint rust.
I really dig the use of a Tyranid bit on the Rhino, and that Helbrute is AWESOME.

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
Nice to see someone thinking outside the box when it comes to Nurgle colours. My only real quibble would be that the white looks too white and untarnished; I'd suggest some streaky washes of something like Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil to bring the white down a bit. Also, I would add some washes of purple in the recesses of the flesh to add some contrast and depth to it, and some darker flesh tones on the lower areas of flesh to give it some overall shading.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First of all let me say I've seen your Pandemic thread and it was one of the factors that inspired me to finally start a Nurgle force!

I'm all too aware of the slight flatness of the flesh. Particularly the larger areas. I'm planning to to do a little purple washing like you said, to make it look kind of bruised, and maybe very sparingly some red around the edges of fleshy bits.

About the white, I know what you mean, but I'm trying not to dirty it too much. That may seem paradoxical, but It's all to do with remedying the problems I had with my original colour scheme back when I first started. I'll keep it in mind though and experiment with darkening it. Currently the only dirtying the white gets is a little rusting here and there and a watered down brown wash.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I am impressed. A very nice alternative approach to nurgley marines. They have come up very well. Carry on.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Looking very nice, the GS on the heads is great and I really like what you have done with the Hellbrute mini, the lack of the head really works.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Terminator squad is pretty much done now, I just need to get a hold of a couple more paints. But they are battle ready:

I'm sorry about the picture quality. I did dirty up the whites a little more than I did previously but I think the lightning makes it harder to see. I will continue to experiment with that. The fleshy parts are still waiting for the occasional purple dabbling, and I'm thinking of getting some sparse dead looking static grass as well as some basing snow.

These guys came in the post yesterday:

But I'm waiting on a few more bits before I can assemble them and the other guys. Looks like the hobbying will have to wait for An Post to sort my stuff out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WIP Havocs

Quick update time!

While waiting for the parts I need to build the Raptors and bikes, I rustled these guys up.

WIP Heavy Bolter Havoc team:

The guy below and to the left is one of the ex-iron warriors.

The Havoc champion. He too is a retired iron warrior. Used to be a lascannon havoc.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Havocs ready to undercoat, Dark Apostle WIP and revised Helbrute

Couple of updates here for you!

First up, I've got the Havocs ready to undercoat. Here's one with a head from maxmini which I feel is particularly cool:

I like how heavy duty it makes him look.

After finishing the Havoc models, I found myself with a little greenstuff left. Not wanting to waste it, I turned my attention to an old metal lord I had. It was actually my very first chaos model. I decided to make him into a Nurgle devoted Dark Apostle. His name is Varl the Corruptor. (his "the" title may change):

Finally, I have updated the paintjob on the Dark Vengeance Helbrute to match the revised scheme of the Corroded Host. He might not be completely finished, but I'm pleased with him. As you can hopefully see, I've been experimenting with the flesh colouration:

Let me know what you think.

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
very nice work, I like the paint scheme, and I like the white being bright, to it shows that the force is still succumbing to the corrupting effects of papa nurgle. +rep

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
White and brown seems to work really well and your flesh effect is wonderful. The thing I still really like however is the helmet. So simple and yet immediately makes the force unique. Great job.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the great feedback friends! I just shelled out for my first proper chaos battle tank, a Vindicator. So there's plenty more fun to be had!

I ultimately decided my nurgle lord wasn't "messed up" enough so I delegated him to the rank of regular terminator. I'm going to take my time making my proper warlord really interesting. The best part is, that'll bring the number of him and his retinue up to the perfect 7! For now I'm going to paint the ex-lord and proxy him as my warlord until the proper one is done. It's the last model I'll have to paint before I can say I have finally acheived a fully painted 1000 point army.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts