Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
visit roleplay threads!
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recruitment Thread

The Choral City​

The centerpiece of a world in rebellion against the Imperium, the infamous, Isstvan III.

Four legions were sent to crush the resistance, to overkill it, and set an example so harsh that the entire Imperium, stretched across the galaxy as it was, would learn the lesson clear.

It instead made something else perfectly clear, the ultimate betrayal.

Brothers in arms who had fought in the Great Crusade together, a military and colonization endeavour that spanned centuries, who had bled together, for each other, saved each other countless times, the Traitors...literally stabbed their brothers in their unsuspecting spines and throats, after sending the rest to their doom on the surface of the planet.

There was not a single part of Horus’s plan that included betraying and killing their brothers face to face, or with honor….until it was forced upon them.

Phase One of Horus Lupercal’s grand scheme flowed beautifully. Phase Two however, was nothing short of disastrous.

The virus bombing of Isstvan III had ultimately done nothing more than slaughter billions of bystanders and turned the Choral City into a hellish warzone of rubble, ash, and storm which massively advantaged the defender, vexing the attacking Traitors in turn. Overconfidence on part of the Emperor’s Children, and Angron and his World Eaters going into an uncontrollable and untrackable rampage on foot throughout the City streets made the situation even worse for Horus and his forces. Further still, knowledge of the Traitors’ arsenal, technology, and tactics was yet another factor favoring the surviving loyalists.

The storms, this knowledge, everything, denied the Traitor forces any real advantage in having air superiority. Scouting vessels were easily shot down, reinforcements could only manage to arrive in small waves rather than mass quantities. The Loyalists exact locations could hardly be traced, as sensors were all but useless in the environment given, and the endless ruins and subterranean passageways made their movements entirely unpredictable aside from a mere handful of locations such as the Precentor’s Palace and Siren Hold. Even there, exact Marine locations were a guess, always rearranging, and expertly defending these areas.

We will be taking a closer look at the streets of the Choral City. Closer than you might think, as we will be looking at these rubble strewn streets, fallen towers, and underground tunnels through the eyes of a small band of Astartes, loyal to Terra and the Emperor, who have just survived the battle against the rebellious forces, the virus-bombing, and subsequent firestorm. Who have just learned that their own Primarchs had tried to kill them. We will follow them in their journey through the city ruins, the struggles they face and fights they endure, and see what comes of them at the end of it all. Whether they survive and become some of the lucky few who found a means of escape and back into the void, or if they become part of an organized, large numbered last stand, or if they simply kill as many traitors as they can until their own death claims them. We will follow these Space Marines, through their own, personal point of views.

YOUR CHARACTER:

You will be taking control of one of these loyal Space Marines, who were sent down in the first wave of the Isstvan III assault. Your Marine can be from any of the four Legions involved, those being the Sons of Horus, the Emperor’s Children, World Eaters, and the Death Guard.

Your Marine can be Terran born or raised from the Legion’s respective homeworld. Please indicate this in the background information.

They can be one of the following ranks (following 30k legion disposition):
  • Legionary
  • Sergeant
  • Lieutenant (commands three squads)
  • Company Standard Bearer
  • Company Captain (Commands three lieutenants)

Rank will likely mean less than you might think, in terms of power over other players.

If you are a Legionary or Sergeant, you may be one of the following:

• Tactical Marine
  • Assault Marine
  • Devastator

Your Marine’s armor can be any variation of MKII MKIII and MKIV. Details on armor markings, decorations, trinkets, trophies and the like is encouraged.

For weaponry I will leave this up to you. If something is too much or needs changing I will inform you of it. Please stick to what would be believable/accurate, fluff-wise.

Please submit the information in the following sheet format:

• Name
  • Legion
    • Rank
  • Personality
  • Background, (Please include some crusade history, legion history, why they may have been chosen for the first wave and cast out by their primarchs and brothers.)

For all of these categories, if I feel there is not enough variation, I will ask for some changes. e.g. everyone is from the same legion or everyone is a devastator marine

Rules:

God Modding - Please follow my updates accordingly. Do not decide there are NPCs around that I have not introduced, Do not take control of other players' characters or the characters I create unless permission is given otherwise. Your character is not invincible.

Game Master - I am here to keep cohesion, narrate, and keep everything centered around a single focal point. Please follow what I say and ask for the sake of everyone involved.

Post Rate - Please be able to post on a regular basis, and inform me if you no longer can. Please be considerate of the time and effort that the other people involved are putting into this. The whole point of an RPthread is that it is a group project.

Post Length - A couple of paragraphs, at least. However, keep in mind that it is possible for RPthread posts to be too long sometimes. If each post of yours is a book, others might find it hard to read in detail.

Post Quality - I always suggest reading back a post you have typed up before submitting it, and if you can, to do so out loud. This is the best way to see if your words and sentences make sense and to pick up on any typos.

I decide character acceptance based on what is submitted, rather than first come first serve. I am looking for about 4-8 players.

CURRENT PLAYERS:

Representing the XVI Legion on the surface of Isstvan III will be:

Decius Vultus, 2nd Company Standard Bearer - Played By Lord Ramo

Akkad Krateron, 7th Company Legionary - Played by Dark Angel

Representing the XII Legion:

Marcus Tharr, Tactical Sergeant - Played by DariusO

Kyros Straesen, Assault Sergeant - Played by Krymson86

Kazimir Rostislav, Assault Legionary - Played by Euphrati

Representing the III Legion:

Tiberius Loculus, 10th Company Decurion - Played by Deus Mortis

Sebastian Aurellian, Fellow 10th Company Decurion - Played by Asamodai

Darius Gratus, 10th Company Legionary - Played by Nacho Libre

And representing the XIV Legion:

Alaros Gilgumann, Devastator Marine - Played by Angel of Lies

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Count me in for this. In regards to the rank chosen, is the number of people they command just an indication of how high up that rank is as it were, or will you then have to say, pick three squads to command if you chose a Lieutenant?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
You have my interest in this Unxpeckted. Looking at all the Sons of Horus fluff currently, though you might be able to help me on this aswell. Do you have any memory of it ever being said who took over Captaincy of Fourth Company (Sons of Horus) after Sejanus Hastur was killed?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oh I'd really like to get in on this, but I'm going away tomorrow for two weeks.

Expect something from me at the end of the month; I'd like to be Death Guard. Can we be members/sergeants of Destroyer squads?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I read this thread and realized there was no way I wasn't going to try to be part of this. you should have received a PM from me regarding some circumstances you might consider when you decide whether to accept me or not. Regardless, here is my character and I hope you like him:

Name: Decurion Tiberius Loculus

Legion: Emperor’s Children

Appearance: Tiberius’ hair is ash blond and shaved close to the scalp to show off much of his patrician features, which are still noble despite a scar across his nose and lips which leads down his chin. His eyes are a deep violet, much like his armour. He has the Palatine Aquilla tattooed onto his chest, beneath where the one embossed on his armour would be. A portion of his left forearm is bionic, although not the whole forearm. His skin is a healthy olive brown colour, much like his ancestors from Europa would have been. He is well muscled and stands a reasonably impressive 7’ 4” outside of battle plate and about 7' 8" in full battle plate.

His armour is ornate and artificer wrought, as you would come to expect from a ranking member of the IIIrd Legion. His helmet is a Phoenician pattern with a transverse crest of white Terran horse hair, donated to the legion by the noble house from which he is descended. Like the rest of his legion he has the Palatine Aquilla emblazoned on his chest-plate. He also had the legion symbol on his left shoulder and a bold “III” on his right shoulder. Unlike the rest of his armour, his shoulders are painted white instead of purple to denote his membership within the elite fraternity of the Palatine Blades. A hand painted tabard hands from his waist, painted and embroided to show his notable victories during the Great Crusade as well as his own rendition of the Primarch and the Emperor's faces back to back in the style of the ancient Terran god of time Janus. He also has numerous molecular bonding studs in his shin and knee-guards.

Tiberius' Phoenix Spear, like all of the Legion's Phoenix Spears, is modelled after the powerful pole-arms of the Custodes, but with a swooping imperial eagle where the boltgun would be. The Serpenta he wields cannot be as adorned as he would like, due to the complex internal circuits, but the grip is Kataran hide, a personal momento of his personal victory. His Bolter is more decorative though. On the side of his Bolter is both the legion III and the Palatine Aquilla, to remind him that the Phoenician and the Emperor are watching his actions on the battlefield. His refractor field is incorporated into the duel eagle heads he has fashioned around the exhaust vents of his power pack.

Wargear: MKIV ‘Maximus’ Armour, Phoenix Spear, Volkite Serpenta, Tigrus Pattern Bolter (with attached strap and scope), Refractor Field

Personality: Tiberius is a well-spoken and eloquent man, capable of great diplomacy and soothing wounded prides and cooling raised tempers. The arrogance that has infested much of the IIIrd legion takes a far more subtle form in Tiberius. It comes out in him not as it does in men like Eidolon where he bands about his authority and presumes himself infallible, but in a soft-spoken condescension as if he was speaking to a child. Despite this, he is well meaning and encouraging to his men and so is generally well liked. Like all members of the IIIrd Legion he strives for perfection, both personally and in the wider battle and can be counted on to execute orders to the letter.

He does have great respect for several legions such as the Sons of Horus, the Iron Hands, the Imperial Fists and even the Blood Angels, but ultimately believes his legion to be superior in all respects to those he admires. That being said, he is not above learning from his contemporaries, if only to out-do them at a later date. He believes that whilst most legions have a sacred ethos, only the Emperor’s Children have the force of will and determination to exalt such arts of war to the heights of perfection. Despite his legion enshrining perfection in all its forms, Tiberius does have a predisposition to rapid assault and melee combat rather than trading shots from a distance, although he is still a good shot with his Bolter and Serpenta and appreciates when they might be mor effective than charging into combat like one of Angron's bezerkers.

Background: After the discovery of Chemos and Fulgrim very few recruits were taken by the Emperor’s Children from Terra, since the only had tertiary recruitment rights to the homeworld. However, several houses kept their standing tithe of children flowing into the IIIrd legion, and the House Loculus was one of the most generous donators of initiates. Tiberius was the first born son of a family of the House Loculus and so was marked for being sent to the IIIrd legion. As such he was excluded from the company of women and drink (or so his parents believed until several women claimed bastard children descended from him after his departure) and forced to focus entirely on the art of war. He was educated in military tactics and given extensive training in both ranged and bladed combat, although he swiftly found his affinity with the spear, preferring the reach of the weapon and, paradoxically, the closeness of combat.

It was on his fifteenth birthday that Tiberius was sent to the IIIrd legion for review and, hopefully, initiation. Presiding over the recent batch of recruits was a Sergeant by the name of Saul Tarvitz, a man Tiberius would come to serve under in the 10th Company. The induction into the IIIrd Legion passed quickly and without incident. A man with Tiberius’ formal training and predisposition towards warfare excelled well in the Legion and was promptly placed in one of the three assault squads before rising to become the Sergeant of the 9th assault squad of the 10th company under Lieutenant Commander Abdemon.

To become Sergeant Tiberius had some minor achievements, but on Katara was where he began to truly distinguish himself. As the Emperor’s Children began to penetrate the lower levels of the Kataran city-complex, several squads found themselves rushed by lone Kataran warriors, wielding all manner of exotic xenos weaponry. Tiberius’s squad was attacked by one wielding a weapons which the annuals of history would call a “Kataran Sun-spear”, essentially a spear wreathed in plasma at its tip. It cut through three of Tiberius’s men before he challenged it to an honour duel. At the time Tiberius wielded a two-handed power sword and he coveted the Kataran’s weapon, hoping to slay it and take it as a relic.

The pair’s duel was long and arduous. The Kataran was possessed of skill with his weapon that Tiberius struggled to match. It inflicted several wounds on him, one of which lead to his scar as it cleaved through his helmet, Tiberius only narrowly avoiding being split in two. However, for all its skill at arms, the endurance of the Kataran began to wane and it was then that Tiberius pressed his attack. His attack was one of impressive and calculated fury which led, ultimately, to him decapitating his foe and its Sun-spear falling from its limp hands. Without a moment’s thought, Tiberius seized the foreign weapon and ordered his squad ahead.

The conquest of The Katara and Abdemon’s triumph over Hamaya are recorded, but after the battle Tiberius kept the Sun-spear not only out of personal preference, but also as a sign that he had been one of the few Emperor’s Children to triumph over a Kataran champion in single combat. He then went on to distinguish himself on numerous other battlefields, such as the Praxil Compliance, the Breaking of Konig Secondus and Fall of the Lords of Gardinaal. However, soon enough their now-Captain, Saul Tarvitz, were ordered to support a contingent of Blood Angels on a planet designated One-Forty-Twenty, later to be called Murder.

It was here that Tiberius was to ascend to the de facto rank of Decurion after his original Decurion was cut down by a brutal assault by the Megarachnids. The assault left Tiberius with 2/3rds of the original forces that had landed and promptly been separated from their Captain. He marshalled the remaining units and ordered them to strip the bodies of the few Megarachnids they had slain in order to cannibalise their exoskeletons into a form of shield which Tiberius hoped would be proof against further xenos attacks. This tactic proved moderately successful, and resulted in a significant drop in casualties after the first encounter.

Tiberius and his cohort were isolated from their brethren for 27 days before they regrouped with the combined forces of the Blood Angels, the Emperor’s Children and the Luna Wolves. By this time Tiberius’s men had been reduced to half their original strength and those that were alive were all wounded in some capacity. They had however survived and the men praised Tiberius’s leadership in ensuring that. After much needed medical attention and re-supplying, Tiberius’s cohort re-joined the fight to scourge Murder of the Megarachnid menace.

After the Emperor’s Children left the joint forces of themselves and their brother legions, Tiberius was elevated to the rank of rank of Decurion proper. As was befitting of his rank, he was gifted by his Captain with a Phoenix Spear to replace his Sun-spear. Upon being presented with the Legion’s signature weapon, Tiberius is said to have cast his Kataran relic to the ground, its purpose apparently served. Once their contingent re-joined the main 28th Expedition, Tiberius was exposed to the new stimulants which were circulating the legion. Much to his dismay though, Saul Tarvitz forbade anyone under his command from sampling the chemicals of the Apothecary Fabius.

Despite this, Tiberius is known to have sampled them and has approached his Captain about repealing the ban, stating that there is no harm in these stimulants. This has led to, on several occasions, the two of them having heated discussions about not just the purpose of these new chemicals, but also the superiority of the legion as a whole. However, despite these minor disagreements in ethos, Tiberius and Saul generally get along well and Tiberius’ prowess in personal and commanding wider battles is well noted. Should his Captain die or another such position become available, Tiberius is pegged to be one of most likely candidates to ascend to such a rank and even further, fate permitting.

·
visit roleplay threads!
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
To address the question of whether or not you will be controlling squads based on your rank, the answer is no.

Your rank is, as Angel of Blood suggested, merely an indication of how high up that rank is. I just wanted to make sure everyone was clear where on the ladder those ranks are. I just added the Rank category to the submission sheet format. Forgot to add that in at first, my apologies. Or just include it in the name as Deus did, either way works for me.

The "squad" and I use that term loosely, will mainly just be the group of players working together to survive.

I look forward too all of your character sheets. For those worried about going away for a couple weeks, I would suggest submitting a character before you leave, if possible, as it will almost certainly take a couple of weeks before the action thread goes up, anyway.

I will read over your submission, Deus, and PM you about any necesary edits I may find.

Oh and Revan, I am not sure, but I will try to look into it.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
To address the question of whether or not you will be controlling squads based on your rank, the answer is no.

Your rank is, as Angle of Blood suggested, merely an indication of how high up that rank is. I just wanted to make sure everyone was clear where on the ladder those ranks are.

The "squad" and I use that term loosely, will mainly just be the group of players working together to survive.

I look forward too all of your character sheets. For those worried about going away for a couple weeks, I would suggest submitting a character before you leave, if possible, as it will almost certainly take a couple of weeks before the action thread goes up, anyway.

I will read over your submission, Deus, and PM you about any necesary edits I may find.

Oh and Revan, I am not sure, but I will try to look into it.

All fine Unexpeckted, changed to background to be captain of 44th instead of fourth, would of had it up yesterday but Santaire dragged me into a Civ 5 game on steam. Will try to finish it off today (though im really really tired at the time of this posting as i've had 5 hours sleep thanks to my dogs and i cant risk going to sleep again incase i miss my bus and miss going to the cinema which ive already pre-booked.)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Marcus Tharr

Name: Marcus Tharr
Legion: World Eaters
Appearance, Armour, and Wargear: Sergeant Marcus Tharr was of olive complexion with a long hooked nose. His copper eyes are slightly slanted with a tired expression tied to the them. His head is adorned with short cropped brown hair and thin almost cruel lips decorate his face. He is well muscled from his time in service as a space marine legionnaire and bears a multitude of scars from his days in training and beyond.

Sergeant Marcus Tharr of the World Eaters was equipped with MK III Iron Armour during he time of the Istvaan III virus bombing and following battles. His Power Armour donned the standard colouration scheme of the World Eaters, being white and naval blue with gold highlights, his helm is coloured a dull bronze to denote his veteran status. Black snake coil decals adorn his left and right arm in memory of his home world. The white skull knee pad on his left leg is for his valour in the subjugation of Varxas IV.

He is armed with a Legion Volkite charger, Mk II Mars Pattern bolt pistol, a standard combat knife and a Reaver Pattern Chain-axe. He is equipped with 4 charge packs for his Volkite Charger, 3 bolt pistol clips, 2 frag grenades, 2 krak grenades, 1 small armour repair kit, 1 weeks combat rations, 1 small medi-kit and 10 metres of spooled micro rope.

Personality: Marcus Tharr is an unsophisticated and straight forward man. He prefers to get into the thick of things and end any sort of conflict quickly and decisively. He embraces the over bearing assault doctrine of the World Eaters with relish and the martial pride of their legion. As the crusades ground on Marcus became increasingly embittered as what once was the proud warrior code of the World Eaters slowly became complete reckless abandon and wanton slaughter.

As a Feral World inhabitant the sudden inundation of strange and dangerous technology was quite shocking for him to bear. Powerful devices bordered on the realm of magic and he still has difficulty fully accepting some tools the legion uses. In particular cybernetics and mechanical replacements to flesh, rejecting the butchers nails despite claims of cowardice from his fellow legionnaires. Such insults were soon silenced by his martial prowess.

The recent news that their Primarch has abandoned them came as a great shock to Marcus and has been seething with a cold fury over it ever since.

Background: Marcus was born on the feral world of Balakr. Balakr is a harsh and hard place but verdant with many deep shadowy forests that mask valleys and mountain sides. Once dotted with many magnificent cities gleaming with the technology of the dark age, the surge of the warp storms and horrific creatures tore apart society, soon the great forests reclaimed the land. Horrific Bio beasts still roam the land, a relic from a lost age, feasting on scattered and terrified tribes. Marcus was one such tribesman who valiantly slew a vat terror and took the head back to his tribe. A World Eater apothecary took note of him on a routine recruit gathering tenure and inducted Marcus into the Legion.

After completing his training and becoming a full fledged legionnaire Marcus served valiantly and well in all aspects of war. He took pride however in keeping his fellow legionnaires alive and the respect he earned with such deeds. Always ever serious he berates his comrades when they neglect to maintain their training or become lax when on duty. His victory over a vicious Ork Nob during the battle of Scuta I promoted him to the rank of sergeant. Initially he wanted to be inducted in as an assault squad sergeant but was instead relegated to a tactical squad for his overall flexibility. He continued to serve admirably until a boarding mission above the smog choked hives of Scovia which his squad failed to secure the munitions vault of a xenos cruiser and was reprimanded.

During the period of testing for the new 'butcher's nails' Marcus refused to be implanted with such foreign technology. This caused other World Eaters to have doubts about Marcus' ability, particularly those in higher command with the ear of Angron. This cast a shadow over Marcus and other fellow legionnaires who abstained from the rite, a shadow that only grew deeper as the taint of chaos spread, soon enough Marcus and other like-minded legionnaires were slowly being segregated for the final decisive blow against them. He could only watch in horror as his fellow legionnaires turned slowly from proud warriors to worthless frothing berserkers.

Extra note: So is this fine? I can always make changes or make it longer. I didn't want to over do the background and personality so I tried boiling it down a bit.

·
Reaper of Souls
1,303 Posts
All fine Unexpeckted, changed to background to be captain of 44th instead of fourth, would of had it up yesterday but Santaire dragged me into a Civ 5 game on steam. Will try to finish it off today (though im really really tired at the time of this posting as i've had 5 hours sleep thanks to my dogs and i cant risk going to sleep again incase i miss my bus and miss going to the cinema which ive already pre-booked.)
*cough* As I understand it, I was the one who actually pointed this thing out to you. If I hadn't I doubt you'd ever have noticed it so thanks should be in order rather than accusations.

This looks good unxpekted, I'll see what I can do

·
Registered
233 Posts
Name: Kyros Straesen
Legion: World Eaters
Appearance: Kyros, were one to go on appearances might think he would fit in better with the preening Emperor's Children, what with his blue eyes and shoulder length hair is blond, held back and out of his eyes by a simple leather cord. Standing 7'3 and possessing a strong, well muscled build he has fairly average physical traits for an Astartes.

Granted a set of MK IV 'Maximus' pattern armor, Kyros' armor features two purity seals on left breast of his chest plate as well as an additional seal on his combat shield. His white and blue armor is always resplendent and kept in immaculate order, his white helmet is accented with the 'world eaters teeth' (no pointed ring) painted over the respirator vox grille in bright red, an indicator on the battlefield of his veteran status and rank of sergeant.

His weaponry consists of a dual headed power axe that features bronze accents around the pommel, adamantium studs marking the haft and the head of the weapon. Though it is a rather plain weapon it is quite obvious that great care and diligence was offered the weapon by the artificer that crafted it. In his left he wields an equally well crafted plasma pistol which also sports bronze trimmings. While the plasma pistol looks rather plain, it is clear that the tech priest that fabricated the weapon took the utmost care in its creation. The weapon features a slightly different firing cycle than those wielded by many of his compatriots, though the weapon does not possess the match trigger of a bolt pistol, its cooling and charge cycle has been expertly honed to firing with only the most minimal pause in between shots wherein the pistol's cooling vents cycle on in order to allow the magnetic coils to cool significantly enough to make the weapon ready for subsequent shots. It is of course equipped with a thumb toggle for emergency venting. Upon investigation of the weapon the Company TechMarine Hykaz remarked to Kyros "This pistol is identical on the outside, and there is no reason that it should function differently from any others in this series assembled on Mars, and yet it is so. Perhaps it was destined by the Emperor to be placed into the hands of an assault marine such as yourself Brother Kyros." Hykaz also implied in private that he should keep the weapon close and at the ready prior to their drop to Istvan III, the TechMarine sensing something amiss before boarding his own dropship with the 12th Tactical Squadron never to be seen again by Kyros. In addition to the pistol he also wields a a combat shield affixed to his left arm, adorned with a single purity seal, a filigree across the top baring the script that reads Kyros' name and his station with the 10th Company's 7th Assault Squad. As with any assault marine worth his weight he carries the requisite 2 frag and 2 krak grenades.

Personality: Kyros is an Astartes who values both the honing and training of the mind in addition to training for combat, feeling that a warrior must be keen mentally in order to take keen action on the battlefield. This stands in stark contrast to many of his battle brothers who seek only the complete destruction of their enemies. While Kyros is dutiful in his execution of his missions and in prosecution of the enemies of the Imperium, he does so in a more surgical manner, feeling that wanton slaughter for the sake of slaughter is unbecoming of the Legion. That said, his white armor is no less blood stained than any of his Brother Sergeants within the XII Legion, his tenacity in battle had well known within the 10th Company until the aftermath of the Arrigata Campaign. Kyros is fully loyal to the Emperor and his vision for Imperium.

Background: Kyros' fall into disfavor began at the planet Arrigata, while the World Eaters had been tasked with killing only the leadership of the planet, their heavily fortified capital building caused such great losses among the World Eaters that to breach the fortress members of the XII Legion had to clambor over a mountain of their dead battle brothers to breach the walls. Once inside all thought of simply executing the mission went out as every defender within the fortress walls was summarily ripped and torn to shreds with chainblades, axes, even gauntleted hands. Then only a member of the 7th Assault squad, Kyros had asked his then Sergeant, an Astartes named Varkus, why it had been acceptable for them to disobey the orders of the WarMaster, he was chided and berated, told that any insurgent who had killed or took part in killing any of their battle brothers deserved ten fold worse than the death they had received. That being slaughtered like cattle was too good for them.

Sergeant Varkus was quite soon after called up to become a member of the Command Squad of the 10th Company, while much of the then 7th Assault Squad was split up, with many of the current members placed into other assault squads. The official reason given was so that depleted assault squadrons that had taken heavy losses would retain some veteran presence. Varkus openly stated that Kyros would be an ill suited Sergeant as he did not possess the savagry needed of a World Eaters Sergeant, the explanation he was given being "There is something we see within Kyros Straessen, and thus he will be the Sergeant of the 7th Assault Squad." Kyros was promoted to Sergeant of the 7th Assault Squad, its ranks filled primarly with relatively newly christened Astartes, most barely aged 85 terran years. The eldest member of the squad was the plasma pistol wielding veteran Rasur, aged 130 terran years. The veteran offered what guidance and wisdom he could to Kyros during their time serving together. The 7th Assault Squad took on the derogatory nickname "The Whelps" based on the young ages of their Sergeant and the majority of the squad as well as the widespread notion that they were comprised of wholly naive and soft battle brothers. The latter sentiment grated Kyros the most, simply because he put stock in orders and reason beyond simply slaughtering the enemy he and his squad were viewed as 'soft'. He cared little for his own ego, but felt that it was detrimental to those who served with him to constantly be derided as lesser Astartes because of some cloud that hung over him.

In addition to seeking true justification for disobeying orders, Kyros had the additional misstep of refusing the implantation of Butcher's Nails, believing them to be an unnecessary augmentation. His feelings never changed on the implants, especially as he viewed them as a xenos tech, despite the Primarch Angron's use of them. Furthermore, he felt that it was a token of history of an aristocracy that sought to imprison the Primarch, and that it was the Emperor, who eschewed such use of xenos implantation and tech that had freed their Lord. Though Kyros believed his stance to be noble and justified, wishing to remain in control of his faculties whilst in combat, the very moments when one would most need to have the keen mental edge and awareness of tactics beyond simply rushing in and slaughtering their enemies. While he left the option open to every Astartes who served under him, those young Astartes under his command opted to follow his lead. Little did he know then, that by doing so they had confirmed their fate in the eyes of their Captain and other leaders.

Upon discovering that he was to be part of the First Wave of the assault on Istvan III Kyros could do little to hide his excitement, remarking to Rasur that this would be an opportunity to prove that the 7th Assault Squad was honorable and worthy of the respect of the entire Company. The opportunity to gain back the respect of the Company weighing heavily on him, Kyros failed to read the signs that something odd was happening. His squad was not the only that had been re-tasked, re-organized or otherwise had major changes in personnel in recent months, something rather unusual for Astartes. Had he a keen eye, he might have also taken note that many if not all of the Battle Brothers whom he still saw in the Reclusium of the 10th Company's warship "Unto War" were among those who were destined for the first wave of the planetary invasion. While those who's volatile tempers flared into near frenzy at the slightest provocation with the augmented butcher's nails in their neck, those who had begun to revel in the slaughter they wraught, those were the Astartes held in reserve for the second wave of attack. Had he placed his desire for redemption of his Lords and peers aside, he might have seen the hammer blow that was about to befall him and his squadron.

While on the surface of Istvann III, Kyros was executing his mission, battling with resistance deep within the catacombs when the virus bombs struck the surface. He then realized he had not been given a great honor, the chance to lead his battle brothers in service of the World Eaters and the Imperium. No, they had been cast out, turned upon and betrayed completely. They had deemed that he was not savage enough, not brutal enough to be a true World Eater...If they made landfall he would show them true savagery, true brutality. He would avenge himself, his fallen brothers who were undoubtedly dead on the surface of the planet. Kyros Straesen would ensure that he killed as many of these Traitor scum as he could before he himself fell, this was the oath he swore to himself within the moments after the virus bombs struck.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Is that two World Eaters without the Butcher's Nails? Well now what will Tiberius have to be condescending about? I'm sure he'll think of something :wink:

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Is that two World Eaters without the Butcher's Nails? Well now what will Tiberius have to be condescending about? I'm sure he'll think of something
My Son of Horus will be condescending enough about your pretty boy, don't worry. :grin:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Name: Decius Vultus

Legion: Sons of Horus

Appearance: Decius stands at around seven and a half feet which is average for the Legiones Astartes. He has a completely shaven head as well keeping his face clean shaven as well, as he has no desire to preen himself. Decius left leg is augmented and his lower back is heavily scarred from an explosion that he was too close to in the Ullanor campaign with shrapnel from an exploding vehicle causing most of the scarring.

Decius armour is a mix of Mark III and Mark IV armour that has been scrapped together over the years of fighting, with the gauntlets and greaves being of the Mark III variety to allow him better protection so he does not drop the standard, and the rest the Mark IV. Decius battle armour is worn from the fighting and there are burn and bullet marks covering the armour. Decius has a lightning bolt engraved on his right gauntlet, as well as a further two smaller ones engraved upon his helm.

Wargear: Decius carries the Second company of the Sons of Horus banner, and to protect it he carries a plasma pistol and chainsword.

Personality: Decius is a driven and determined marine, found at the fore of the battle as he holds his companys standard proudly aloft and uses it to try and inspires others forwards. He is a follower in tradition and looks down on those members of the legion that joined the warrior lodges. A firm believer in the Emperor’s cause and being a Terran he has been increasingly more worried with the Legion’s behaviour as of late.

History: Born on the world of Terra, the very place where the Emperor first began his push to the stars in an effort to unite humanity. Decius was born into the hunters in the Jutigran bowl, and had to survive in the harsh environment there before he was accepted into the new Emperor of mankinds forces to become one of the Legiones Astartes.

Decius was elevated to the Luna Wolves legion upon successful completion of his training and genetic modifications and fought in the pacification of Luna as a legionnaire as the Emperor began to expand to the stars. Soon they encountered the world of Cthonia were the Emperors lost son Horus was found. Taking charge of the Luna Wolves they continued to grow and develop as a Legion, continuing to be known for their shock attacks.

Early on in the Ullanor campaign Decius was caught in an explosion after a predator that he had been near to had exploded from ork rocket fire and Decius as a result lost his left leg. He was gifted a augmented replacement and swiftly returned to the battlefield to take part in the final missions of the campaign. Decius finest hour came during one of the closing battles of the Ullanor campaign when the standard bearer for the 2nd, Decius own company was killed by and Ork, beheading him. Decius rushed forward and grabbed hold of the standard before his brother had fallen to ensure that it wouldn’t touch the ground and killed the Ork with a plasma shot to the face. Decius spent the rest of the battle protecting the standard and urging his brothers forward whilst he hacked down greenskins with his chainsword. At the end of the campaign for his devotion and action Decius was given the honour of carrying the Second’s standard into battle and became its banner bearer.

Since that day Decius has carried the standard of the second into battle proudly and fought on the hellish world of murder, finding himself a certain disdain towards the Emperor’s Children after their Lord Commander Eidolon had proven himself to be a fool seeking only glory not matter the cost manpower wise.

He was deemed by Horus and the traitors to be too loyal to the Emperor and was sent with his captain Tarik Torgaddon to the surface of Istavaan III to fight the rebellious forces bellow, something with which Decius had decreed was a great honour, unaware of what was about to befall the loyalists.

·
visit roleplay threads!
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey everyone just want to point this out:

"by the time of the Horus Heresy (volkite weapons) were a rarity and had been replaced by the more flexible and easy to manufacture bolter.[1]"

I will think on it, but I may cut down on some of these volkite weapons I'm seeing. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Name: Akkad Krateron.

Legion: Sons of Horus.

Appearance: A Cthonian to the boot, with wide-set, amber eyes and a strong, dignified nose; resembling Horus Lupercal himself, one of the true Sons of Horus. Krateron's head is shaved smooth, oiled and glistening, with a single tall, unbowed topknot extending from his crown, tied with red, gold and orange ribbons. Krateron is decidedly ordinary - Neither handsome nor ugly, threatening or welcoming, - With a warm, unassuming smile; one Marine among tens of thousands, someone who lacks any defining physical features, the epitome of the faceless, numberless warrior.

Krateron's armour is a bastardised mixture of Mark II and Mark III, denoting his veteran status. Upon his gauntlets, greaves and torso, Krateron has hand-scrawled old gang markings, a heritage that many believe is best left in the past. He proudly bears the Cthonian serpent-eye upon his left shoulder-pad, in place of the standard Legion heraldry - Earning the right after a tenure amongst the Catulan Reavers. Around his waist, on the left, Krateron wears a trio of skulls, each dipped in gold - Enemy leaders, two Orks and an Eldar, the Eye of Horus carved into each of their foreheads. On his hip, he wears eight coins, seven smooth and shining, mirror-coins awarded for honour upon the battlefield, one rough and beaten, marked with a wolf's-head and a crescent moon. His helmet bears a long, flowing plume of scarlet horsehair, with a diagonal scratch over his right eyepiece, deliberately carved, to mark blooding in battle.

Equipment: Krateron carries a power-active blade of Cthonic bluesteel, gifted to him by the late, vaunted Syrakul, of the Mournival, after defending the injured warrior in battle. Upon this blade he has bestowed the name of Oathkeeper, inscribed along the sword's length in artful, golden scroll-work. Mag-locked to his thigh, Krateron carries a shorter, stouter blade - A gladius - Meant for stabbing and hacking, and this he has named Aebathan, the Cthonian word for throat-cutting. He also carries a bolter, marked with the Eye of Horus, and a bolt-pistol; both nameless, both unworthy of distinction.

Personality: Fiercely proud of his Cthonian roots, and utterly dedicated to war-making in the name of Horus Lupercal, Krateron is the poster-boy of the Sixteenth. Ruthless and tenacious, with a grim, cruel humour to him, Krateron has few friends within the Legion - Though many know his face, and more his name, his reputation as a steadfast, unfaltering Astartes preceding him. Krateron is distasteful of the Order of Remembrancers, believing that they have no place with the Expeditionary Fleets, refusing their requests with that harsh, growling tone of Cthonia. Despite this, Krateron keeps to himself, usually quiet and reserved, scowling and spitting.

Background: Born to a whore, Krateron spent his early years in a Cthonian sump-hive, in the warrens and underworld cities. In his youth, Krateron crossed paths with Serghar Targost, and the two soon became inseparable, Krateron becoming his oldest, staunchest and truest friend. Just after his fifth birthday, Krateron's mother was brutally murdered, orphaning a boy who had known nothing else but blood, piss and heartbreak. He and Targost, another beggar-boy, soon found themselves falling in with the Cthonian head-hunters; harsh, lusty, greedy men - But men who offered them protection, a roof to sleep under, food to warm their guts. By the time the boys were six, they had already butchered their first man, hacking him down with daggers of glass. By ten, they knew how to slit a man's throat without him being alerted, how to pickpocket, they knew the home-tongue perfectly, each and every hand-signal. When this is considered, it comes to no surprise that the two were inducted into the Legion, to follow Horus unto the stars.

As a Luna Wolf, Krateron's life was constant bloodshed, constant butchery and, most satisfyingly, victory after victory. Where Targost was a star ascendant, rising through the ranks, Krateron chose to remain in his shadow - Once being described as 'Targost's hound,' by another Legionary and friend, Nal Verustan, born of Terra. On a hundred worlds, Krateron honed himself, becoming a weapon, an instrument of destruction - Never far from Targost's side, being the first to congratulate him after his promotion to Captain, and stewardship of the Seventh Company.

During the Gorro Hollowing, Targost and the Seventh were one of the spearheads, penetrating the scrap-world's rusted surface. The going was hard and bloody, and Krateron himself was felled, his hip and leg shattered by an Orkish hammer, and it was Targost who stood over his friend, hacking and slashing at the Greentide, until Krateron could be extracted. Weeks of recovery followed, his bones being knit back together, his muscles needing constant hours of therapy. While he lay, cot-ridden, Kalus Ekaddon visited him, and asked Krateron to serve within his assault company, the Catulan Reavers. Honoured, Krateron readily accepted, and when he was back in order, painted his armour the black and crimson of the Reavers. He remained with the Reavers until Ullanor, fighting where it was fiercest, making a name for himself, but upon the conclusion of the Campaign and the Emperor's announcement that he was done with the Crusade, Krateron requested a transfer back to the Seventh.

Present at Sixty-Three Nineteen, Krateron was once again injured, though he remained unbowed, a smoking hole punched through his stomach. Sometime prior to this campaign, Krateron crossed blades with Sigismund of the Imperial Fists, and was vaunted by the First Captain for his skill with the blade. Afterwards, Krateron would be amongst the first to land upon Murder, alongside Serghar Targost once again, and during this time he came to dislike the Emperor's Children, decrying them a 'bunch of prancing peacocks and tuneless songbirds,'

Despite his illustrious career, Krateron has never sought advancement through the ranks, and has been denied any such opportunity by the influence of Targost, who has preferred to keep his friend close, a bloody, reliable, right hand.

He would later take part in the War with the Interex, though he found it unworthy of praise, and afterwards, would watch as Horus was carried aboard the Vengeful Spirit, above Davin, fatefully injured. In these dark days, the Legion changed, it became something darker - Krateron found himself becoming disillusioned with the Sixteenth, every campaign a bitter blow to his resolve, friendships were frayed, brotherhoods were broken. Still, he served loyally in the war with the Auretian Technocracy, and afterwards, after news of Vardus Praal's revolt, vowed to retake the Isstvan System.

And so it is, that Akkad Krateron, Cthonian and Son of Horus, has been selected for the first wave of the Isstvan III Compliance.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts