Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know what happened when Slaanesh was born.

How about the other three? Surely Slaanesh's birth wasn't a unique experience.

Do you think the others caused something similar, sending multiple alien races into the dark ages each time or are you of the notion that they were 'always there' and thus were never born but always existed (yeah they really need to do something about that bit of lore)?

Related to this, we constantly read about aliens taking advantage of humans during the Age of Strife. But weren't their empires reduced to rubble just like with humanity?

With the exception of the Orks for obvious reasons but chiefly their immunity to fear, what do you think is the reason many alien races were in a position to enslave/take advantage of humanity who were arguably untouchable in their prime by any of the alien races save the Eldar?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Do you think the others caused something similar, sending multiple alien races into the dark ages each time or are you of the notion that they were 'always there' and thus were never born but always existed?
Well, with the Warp being the way it is, they could both exist only until they were born and since the beginning of the universe. Maybe even before the universe came to be. The warp is trippy that way.

This of course extends to Slaanesh as well. Linear time sorta takes a backseat.

There's not really enough lore to say either way. Though Khorne was "born" while humanity was around. Surely within the last 50,000 years of the current 41k timeline. There's no real note within the lore of negative impacts to humanity. Perhaps the psyker mutation wasn't prominent enough to really be affected by the warp ripples.

Related to this, we constantly read about aliens taking advantage of humans during the Age of Strife. But weren't their empires reduced to rubble just like with humanity?
Remember, not every human empire faired the same. There were still human organizations that spanned multiple star systems and maintained a reasonably high level of tech. Wouldn't it make sense that some fragments of alien empires would do the same?

I imagine a civilization like the Tau, whose worlds tend to self-sufficent and united, would do well in such a situation.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
We all know what happened when Slaanesh was born.

How about the other three? Surely Slaanesh's birth wasn't a unique experience.

Do you think the others caused something similar, sending multiple alien races into the dark ages each time or are you of the notion that they were 'always there' and thus were never born but always existed (yeah they really need to do something about that bit of lore)?
The nature of the warp dictates that all of the Chaos Gods have paradoxically always existed, have a specific birth event and yet have never existed at all.

My reading of Codex: Chaos seems to imply that the Gods gained consciousness very slowly (over the course of "billions of years") as a result of the amalgamation of specific pools of emotion, and it doesn't mention specific births, simply that they eventually gained a rudimentary consciousness. That is not to say this (gaining of consciousness) didn't cause devastating parallel events in reality, but there is nothing recorded that suggests these matched the devastation of Slaanesh's birth.

Thus, Slaanesh seems to be the exception. Being so integrally entwined with the Eldar species, whose Empire spanned the stars, was the primary cause of the widespread devastation. The other gods, as far as we know, didn't spring out of a connection with a single species (given the more recent lore anyway).

Sure, they suffered just as much as Mankind did during the Age of Strife. Their preying on human worlds was likely opportunistic. The powerful Eldar Empire had completely collapsed and the Human Federations became isolated and weak, there was a huge power vacuum to fill all across the galaxy.

Also, it wasn't just aliens that preyed upon Mankind, the increased warp activity enabled daemons to materialise and prey upon countless worlds as well.

·
Registered
638 Posts

With the exception of the Orks for obvious reasons but chiefly their immunity to fear, what do you think is the reason many alien races were in a position to enslave/take advantage of humanity who were arguably untouchable in their prime by any of the alien races save the Eldar?
In just thinking about the HH BA novel Fear to Tread, the Nephelim race enslaves humanity in the system, then you have the plant the SWs encounter on the way to muster with the larger legion that became an amusement playground for the Dark Eldar... in one of the short story collections I'm not recalling. I can see these kinds of situations happening, even pre-Fall, if the human society is relatively isolated (1-5 systems) without the constant oversight of a larger sub-sector sized government that can muster military starships. Despite the larger human federations like the Interex, I can imagine some of the human colony ships that made it to their host planet and never developed the resources go travel more than 1-2 systems away, if that. Just look at all the Death Worlds, like Caliban or Fenris.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Though Khorne was "born" while humanity was around. Surely within the last 50,000 years of the current 41k timeline. There's no real note within the lore of negative impacts to humanity.
Khorne was recruiting daemon princes on pre-modern Terra: witness Doombreed. That level of Chaos activity seems pretty negative. I wonder what made Doombreed special, because in 40k you need to kill billions to get noticed and on pre-modern earth there's just not enough slaughter to go around.

It's not clear though how Terra didn't become a daemon planet, since a daemon prince can easily slaughter an entire planet when facing off against ordinary swords and spears. Perhaps the Emperor detected such a powerful psychic event as a daemonic ascension and forced Doombreed into a cowardly retreat to avoid true death.

I assume there'd be other Khorne worshippers with him, who would be favored by Khorne's elevation of one of their members. It's not known who destroyed them. Maybe Doombreed himself killed them.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Khorne was recruiting daemon princes on pre-modern Terra: witness Doombreed. That level of Chaos activity seems pretty negative. I wonder what made Doombreed special, because in 40k you need to kill billions to get noticed and on pre-modern earth there's just not enough slaughter to go around.

It's not clear though how Terra didn't become a daemon planet, since a daemon prince can easily slaughter an entire planet when facing off against ordinary swords and spears. Perhaps the Emperor detected such a powerful psychic event as a daemonic ascension and forced Doombreed into a cowardly retreat to avoid true death.

I assume there'd be other Khorne worshippers with him, who would be favored by Khorne's elevation of one of their members. It's not known who destroyed them. Maybe Doombreed himself killed them.
I don't have a direct quote, but Lexi (without directly footnoting) indicates that Khorne was actually 'born' sometime during the middle ages of Terra's timeline. I don't see any Khornate demons developing during that time being the overbearing bad-asses of either 30K or 40K we've come to know and love, considering they're so newly minted. I could see someone of Genghis Kahn's stature, or possibly even Hitler, making the grade as either were killing on a historically precedent-setting scale.

Regarding what happened to Doombreed, the alleged first Daemon Prince of Khorne, well, around that same time the Big E was hog-tying the Void Dragon (or a ret-conned shard?) in a straight-up fight and shipping him off for a 40,000 year vacation in purgatory on Mars, so I don't think drop-kicking a newly minted DP off Terra would have posed too much of a challenge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts