Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend of mine recently asked me to teach them about the lore of 40K. Instantly I responded, "One does not simply teach the lore of 40K." I then began to gather my thoughts, but every road of explanation just lead to what I knew would be confusion. So I told them that the next time we meet I will have a beginners guide to 40K all ready to teach them.

I was just sitting, trying to think of a beginners guide to 40K, and figured I would ask your opinions. Where should I begin?

The Emperor? About how long should I go before bringing up the Warp?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Once upon a time there was a very important man who lived somewhere in what used to be called the 'Middle east' on a planet that used to be called 'Earth'. He had a dream to conquer the entire Universe with an Army of super soldiers....

·
Registered
638 Posts
There's the great youtube series done by the German dude that provides a pretty good summary, and it can also be broken out by race/army/etc.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war.

....and reading up on the fluff because HOLY FUCK it doesn't summarize well.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The part where I feel like I will confuse the person is the Warp. Am I correct in saying that there is no easy way to explain it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's basically Hell and there is no heaven?

A twisted reflection of all the emotions, thoughts and actions of the people in the galaxy?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
It's basically Hell and there is no heaven?

A twisted reflection of all the emotions, thoughts and actions of the people in the galaxy?
In a way yes. Its good to use when explaining to 40k muggles.
Edit: This works with step Cousins into the occult/scifi and friends that like scifi

Basic:
Emperor: Formed the Imperium of Man, worshiped as (a) god, and is the most powerful psyker.
Imperium of Man: Formed by the Emperor, spans most of galaxy, Human only and Xenophobic (as hell).
Psykers: Magic users that draw their power from the warp
Warp: A different dimension that allows ftl, inhabited by demons and god (like) beings known as the Chaos Gods.
Chaos Gods 4: Nurgle death decay, Khorn Blood War Murder, Slaanesh drugs excess sex not rocknroll, Tzeentch change/magic, they eat emotions and souls.

Armies:
Imperial Guard: The main ground branch of the Imperial Military.
Imperial Navy: THe Navy Branch of the Imperial Military.
Space Marines: Children take before puberty and genetically engineered into killing machines for the Imperium.
Sisters of Battle: Nuns with guns, official army for the Imperial Church.
The Inquisition: Like the Spanish inquisition but with planet killing bombs and more torture.
Tau: A new born empire of aliens that want to form a galaxy spanning empire.
Kroot: Members of the tau empire, bird people that evolve depending on what they eat.
Eldar: Space elves had an empire that descended into hedonism and gave birth to slaanesh, High elves.
Dark Eldar: Dark Space Elves the hedonistic survivors of the Eldar Empire.
Orks: Like orcs from fantasy games but larger more warlike and made of fungus.
Necron: Emo robot zombies, fought the eldar when they were mortal sold their skin to 4th dimensional beings, Ctan, for eternal life and in hopes of Defeating the Eldar.
Ctan: God like beings that feed on suns until the discovered they could eat souls, Shattered into thousands of pieces by the necrons.
Chaos Space Marines: Space Marines that turned to worshiping the Chaos gods.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Youtube video alled 40k lore in under 60 seconds. It does a solid job.

For me, I just have people read the Ultramarines book about Ventris fighting the Tyranids, and I say if they liked it read the other ones and go exploring.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Start with the introduction in all of the books. Then pick it apart from there. The most obviously thing to begin with it the Imperium of Mankind, explaining the Emperor first, and summarizing the Great Crusade, leading into the Horus Heresy (again, broadly) and ending with the Siege of Terra.

From there explain that the Imperium has existed for 10,000 years and remained relatively stagnate since then. Once they have a good grasp of the Human Faction of the game you can expand upon the xenos or the Warp, whichever one you feel that they will understand easier.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I kinda wish I had a begginer's guide when I discovered 40k. Reading Storm of Iron without having a single clue about the setting was interesting - it had me hooked quickly what with the big siege and the Titan combat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts