Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's been years since I added much to my ash waste nomad AM / IG army, however today I received a little packet containing a bunch of pikes for Macedonian of Greek ancient figures, excellent to build the hunting lances for my 'rough riders' on bikes! So I started and finished this very first - but very awesome! - rough rider. This model is converted using parts of perhaps 4 different companies :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
reminds me a bit of mad max, looks awesome !
Yeah, thanks :) I am hugely inspired by postnuclear themes in this one, Mad Max mirrors it perfectly indeed! But the thanks go to the original Necromunda fluff, all these 'troops' are ash waste nomads from the desolated areas in between the Necromunda hive cities. I even use the nomad gang rules for army composition (little to no commissars, ash waste priests however are allowed, all troops have rebreathers of some kinds, all infantry have camo capes, long rifles but no flamers, only a few heavy support vehicles like scavenged tanks...)

I wonder however if I might one day also make these troops somewhat competitive again. They do allright against other horde armies like orks, but a recent game against Necrons just blew them away with little effort...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It's been six months or more since I placed something on this blog - since I had something to place.

But now, I have been 'baptized' in the use of AM formations, of which I knew nothing before, being a 7th ed virgin...

This has allowed me to do what I wanted to do with my Nomad army, namely taking more Fast Attack options. 2 sentinel and 1 rough rider squads had depleted my FA slots, With the sentinels in a recon formation, I could finally add my take on Taurus and Taurus Venators (see the drop troop list for it's rules).

So, to bitbox lane, where I scavenged a German WW2 halftrack and 'rustified' it after major conversions.

Not that this is only the base colour. More to follow (one day).

And the new army list! I purposely chose to first limit it to a 1000 points, because they all need a whole lot of paint and attention.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Looks great all around. Viewing the list the only thing that got to me was the plasmaguns which I felt to be alittle to high-tech for some nomads to have around. But then again keeping them rare is a way around that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Looks great all around. Viewing the list the only thing that got to me was the plasmaguns which I felt to be alittle to high-tech for some nomads to have around. But then again keeping them rare is a way around that.
Thanks! But as this is Necromunda extrapolated to 40K: Nomads have access to plasma guns, they just can't have flamers, alas. The 'Nomad grenadiers' are these models, which I have had since 25 years now: http://theionage.com/products/ib05-retained-esquires. I see them as the pooled 'special forces', with the best weapons and armour. I also see it as OK to give melta and plasma weapons to company HQ/platoon HQ/special weapon squads as family or clan heirlooms and status symbols of powerful warlords.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Actually, the list was incorrect! This one is correct. They have a total of three plasma guns, with the veteran grenadiers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So, I have finished my Taurus Venator equivalent and updated the bases on the first 10 ash waste nomads. Here just a load of pictures.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Not knowing when I'll find time & attention to continue with my little 40K force, I have made the effort to gather up my finished models and have them pose before my camera :) Outside for a change, since I have been very slow to realize that very much improves the quality of the pictures taken...

With some of my converted Necromunda scenery present.

Purple tribe;

Blue tribe:

Yellow tribe:

Nomad venator conversion:

First three Nomad rough riders:

The force assembled (but far from complete):

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
friggin' epic. Where did you get that venator from?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
friggin' epic. Where did you get that venator from?
Well, it was a German WW2 halftrack, just a scale model, which I have had for many years. I added the wheels of another scale model, a Hummvee. Then I plundered my extensive bitbox to give it crewmembers, twinlinked lascannon and extra bitzzzz.

Thanks for the compliments!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Hmm nice! Certainly looks good. Not to sure with its gsme effects for necromunda more specifically but still cool models and paintjob.
I don't know what you mean? This army originally started as my Necromunda gang. So I follow the basic rules of the Necromunda ash waste nomad doctrine (http://files.sigil.biz/data/fo_031_ash_wastes_nomads.pdf): no flamers, all have respirators or some such, quite a few sniper rifles. All equipment is scavenged and rusty, and all models have grey camo cloaks which they use to hide and ambush.

Here my latest Necromunda gang: https://yaktribe.org/necromunda/gang/view/13508/The+Ashgallow+Nomads

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It has been a while, but I have completed a whole lot of ash waste nomads for my alternative IG/AM light infantry army:

- 6 scout sentinels
- 30 more 'guardsmen'
- grenadiers (veterans with carapace armour)
- 6 more rough riders on bikes.

I will begin placing pictures of the rough riders here, the other pictures is for when the sun is back!

·
Closet Dictator
3,424 Posts
First time checking the plog, love the theme, very mad max esque great modelling and converting, a well deserved cookie

21 - 40 of 44 Posts