Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@ Angelus Censura

The Angel sanguine are the only BA succesor chapter known to never remove their helmet (or at least hide their face), and Red Fury makes it seem like they are the only ones. (Main character wondering why, Flesh tearers mocking them about removing the helmets)

"However, why would only a select group be affected while others are fine?"
Actually I would think that only a chapter(s) would be affected, as they may have done something / played with / treated the blood or gene transfer differently. Or something completely different? I am not led to believe this would be translated easily to your AI theory.

I'm not sure about the whole AI thing as this thread is the first I've heard of it, I have however heard a lot about the Vampire theory, I just figured all Blood Angels would be affected vs just a sucessor Chapter. But it didn't occur to me that each successor Chapter recruits in their own way and would in turn handle the implantation of the gene seed differently. As cool as the AI is, if all we have to go off of is a Lexicanum article stating "will of iron", I highly doubt that is enough evidence to support some sort of neurological implantation. It could simply be just a metaphor or choice of words from the author.So my guess lies with the Vampire theory. Which, if following old legends, Vampires cannot handle sunlight, which could translate over to them not removing their masks to avoid the light. Also, if their fangs have become grotesquely long, their skin pale, and eyes black, that would make sense as well - if they were to be seen without helmets like that, the Inquisition would shit their pants

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
This is a real stretch of the imagination but maybe it's a similar sort of thing to Vampire-The Masquerade (from back when it was good and not all twilighty).
Each of the BA successors exhibit different aspects of vampire mythology.
The BA are more like Anne Rice vamps, good looking with a sense of the aesthetic.
Flesh Tearers and Knights of Blood represent the Dusk Til Dawn types, all blood thirsty and savage.
Then the Angels Sanguine come in, Nosferatu types who would rather hide their disfigurement in case the Inquisition starts snooping.

·
Angel Sanguine
642 Posts
I'm not sure about the whole AI thing as this thread is the first I've heard of it, I have however heard a lot about the Vampire theory, I just figured all Blood Angels would be affected vs just a sucessor Chapter. But it didn't occur to me that each successor Chapter recruits in their own way and would in turn handle the implantation of the gene seed differently. As cool as the AI is, if all we have to go off of is a Lexicanum article stating "will of iron", I highly doubt that is enough evidence to support some sort of neurological implantation. It could simply be just a metaphor or choice of words from the author.So my guess lies with the Vampire theory. Which, if following old legends, Vampires cannot handle sunlight, which could translate over to them not removing their masks to avoid the light. Also, if their fangs have become grotesquely long, their skin pale, and eyes black, that would make sense as well - if they were to be seen without helmets like that, the Inquisition would shit their pants
This is my belief too, and it really makes sence that they wouldn't want to show disfigurement (Like DA fallen in a way?) as the Inquisition would be all over them.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yeah haha, I would love there to be a book written about the Angels Sanguine kicking the asses of the Inquisition in this sort of situation. A member of the Inquisition sees the face of an Angels Sanguine marine, the marine kills the inquisition member to keep him quiet, the Inquisition finds out anyway and try to wipe the Angels Sanguine out, the Sanguine completely annihilate them and they keep it as a dark secret from the rest of the Imperium. The Inquisition bugs me haha

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I only mentioned the CM being different from the rest of the Chapter because someone mentioned that he wore a hood, not a helmet, and I assumed the idea behind telling me that was that his face could clearly be seen. As it is still as hidden as his helmeted brethren, then you can discount the idea of a normal 'face' for the mutated CM.
As for whether it is Absolution or Sanguine, the OP asked about Absolution didn't he, or have I got mixed-up halfway through the thread?

GFP

+++++++EDIT+++++++
Where the bloody hell did I get Absolution from?
Where I ask you?
WHERE?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The Angels of Absolution are a Dark Angels Chapter while the Angels Sanguine are a Blood Angels chapter. Dark Angels wear hoods out of shame for their bretheran that have become The Fallen, as to why the Angels Sanguine wear masks and refuse to take them off in the presence other others outside their fortress monastary is still unknown.

[EDIT]Hahaha no worries, I was wondering where the whole Angels of Absolution came into play lol, you had me second guessing if they were really Dark Angels like I had thought haha

·
Registered
171 Posts
Without giving away any spoilers, I must say that the story "The Blood Of Angels" by C S Goto in The Book Of Blood should answer your questions:grin:

Lets just say that they're not the most handsome bunch. Something to do with their recruiting world's citizenry's naughty deeds...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Awesome! I will have to add that one to my "Shit I have to buy, but probably shouldn't spend the money on" list. Does it go into the details of the recruiting process and more intricate details of their structure and such? I like it when BL books talk more about the chapter itself while leading up to a battle. I read an awesome Space Wolves book that went into the recruiting process from tribes, how the recruits are chosen, and then the implantation of the geneseed. I wish I could remember the name of the book, that was one I could read a second time.

By the way, here is a link to a blog my buddy and I are in the process of starting up if anyone wants to check it out. It doesn't have a whole lot of anything on it yet, but this will be where I post more fluff, the stages of my Angels Sanguine army completion, and some other stuff. PM me if you have any suggestions or comments of things you would like to see done, or things that could be changed about the blog itself - sorry for going off topic, but it sounds as though that book will answer the Topic's question and settle all debates.

www.shakennotstunned.blogspot.com

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I think it's just the geneseed mutation gone too far. the AI thing sounds completely out of the blue with no real back up to be honest apart from one saying that is used to describe most marines. Blood Angels and their successors are known to be physically better looking than most other chapters, if the Angels Sanguine were to be physically deformed, have large fangs and general vampy looking, it would mar them from the Blood Angel's legacy and probably cause them to be shunned by their brethren.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Which would cause them to hide their faces from their bretheran and maintain the stereotype that the BA are the best looking chapter.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
There probably mutated from there time in the warp, you remember what having half his face paralysed did to Tycho.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The only reason that makes sense to me is a mutation of their gene seed - which is mentioned in the codex as the reason for the red thirst and rage rules.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Which would cause them to hide their faces from their bretheran and maintain the stereotype that the BA are the best looking chapter.
Exactly. Plus Don't the Angels Sanguine Have much Higher numbers of Death Company than the other chapters? Or was that a different one? If it's them I'd say it'd be geneseed mutation then.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I just wanted to point out that the AI thing IS JUST SOMETHING THAT I SURMISED. It isn't based on any fluff, it was just something that I came up with as a suggested answer to the question of why this particular Chapter don't remove their helmets, inspired by the supplied quote that the Astartes 'have a will of iron, but their helmets hide an even darker truth'.
Further debasement of the geneseed, so that the Battle Brothers are more feral/Vampirel looking certainly fits with the BA theme.

GFP

·
Registered
592 Posts
I would put my money on there being something with cloning of the geneseed etc, aking to the Lamenters.

The Lamenters are a Blood Angels successor chapter that has found a cure for the Black Rage, the psychic imprint Sanguinius left upon his Legion at the moment of his death.

It is rumored to come through use of extensive cloning.

The known facts about cloning in the 40k Universe (if, I believe it was the Last Chancers series, is to be trusted) is that it leaves the 'clone' with no soul. I'm thinking of the project to create the super-humans based off of some Imperial hero type. Macharius maybe?

Anyways, this has left the Lamenters with chronic bad luck. They have never won a noted engagement, and are currently nowhere to be found (I believe there are also a dedicated part of the Blood Angels searching for them, due to them curing the Red Thirst and Black Rage.)

Keeping in mind that the Angels Sanguine are the backers of Mephiston, who is trying to find a cure for it all, believing there is a cure.

They could most definately have tampered with something they shouldn't have, and have become disfigured for it, such as accenting certain unwanted features as previously mentioned.

The opposite of this would be the Flesh Tearers, who welcome the Red Thirst and see it as a gift (Khorne Berzerkers anyone?) with the Blood Angels split pretty much down the middle.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Flesh Tearers are awesome! they are kinda like khorne berserkers Cruor, but theyre not (as) evil! embrace the thirst! you could argue that the space wolves are the same, letting the wolf side of them come out in battle

21 - 39 of 39 Posts