Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Almanac of Ye Olde Heresy Online
Or a Guide to the Old World, as compiled by Vaz the Great​

Hiya guys, this is just a little thing that after having a chat with squeek, is something that could really kick off some of the Fantasy Sections.

Having read through Lexicanum, and the Fantasy side, I've realised just how little work has gone into that, compared to the 40K Side.

Now, I suppose it might be better for me to put some work into a 40K one, as that's obviously far more popular.

However, one thing that I don't like about it, is the fact that there is so much Grey Area, so it's hard to put down a Factual background to the world, without treading into the grey area which is could it/couldn't it, with the two sides to every story. Or more. (Dark Angels, grrrr...)

Along with Bolter and Chainswords in depth 40K (well, Space Marine) Encyclopedia, and DakkaDakka attempting to make one, along with numerous others, but most are 40K based.

So squeek and I have had a chat, and decided that we should make our own. It needed a Fantasy name - Encyclopedia is far too modern, so Almanac should do.

After deciding on the basics, this is where it comes into your role of this Almanac. We are looking for articles that are TRUTHFUL, with sources, and based off Canon. This means that Black Library books are okay, but Fanfiction is not.

The most obvious ones we are looking for is background on the current races, and each and every thing in it.

If any of you are fans of a book, or series, would you want to read through, make notes of the characters, their actions, their movements, affiliations, associations, and history?

Timelines - I know that almost every single Army has a timeline in. How about Collating all that information into a Timeline for everything?

Campaigns? The Storm of Chaos, and Albion were famous for their assaults from the Forces of Chaos and the hurried defence and alliance of the Forces of Light.

Minor and Little Mentioned characters - this is intended to be a bit of a Resource for Fantasy Story writers and for just general background information. If you find a named character who plays a small part in a novel, or is mentioned in the background, please mention them. Most places you can find them (other than novels) are from the Magic Item descriptions.

Bear in mind that this is only Background, not tactical/game based. If you have an idea for a tactica, maybe you could trysubmitting it to Djinn, with his 'The Heretic'.

Cheers, Vaz (the Great)

Current Articles
  • The Great Timeline - Vaz [Thread]
  • Kislevite Language - Vaz [Thread]
  • Elven Language - Vaz [Thread]
  • The Ambassador/Ursuns Teeth Series of Articles - Vaz
  • Dwarven Language - Dafistofmork [Thread]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
nice idea, ill rummage through some olde army books, and BRB and see what i can find

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Slaanesh's Plaything
1,290 Posts
I have all the Army books and the old Realms of Chaos so I can help with some stuff. I also have Liber Chaotica, Necris and the Life of Sigmar. Also the old siege book has some good fluff about the races.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Hey, i can put up the dwarf language, as seen in the last army book for you-essentialy gives you the baisc grammer rules and some base words to play around with. anyone up for some Kazilid?(i probaly misspelt that, so what, you want to take it out side? Unleash the giant green fist of fury!)

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
992 Posts
great, im a little buisy right now, and over the weekend (visiting relatives and the like), so the first instalment will probaly get put up on monday. thanks Vaz (the not so great :p).

·
Registered
992 Posts
sorry, i lied. i am free to go this morning.

you are not going to belive this-just spent 1 hour writing up the introduction to Khazalid, went to google to do a little spellcheeck, and the internet crashses. and now i have to start all other again. i feel ike crying.
right, so now that i am sane again, this little set back is going to mean that it may ne a while(possibly monday/tuseday) before i can put up the first post. sorry.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Can we incorporate some of the info from earlier versions that has now been bypassed in some way? As you know, some of that stuff is dear to my heart - Grom the Paunch being killed in an assault on the Dwarf City of Middenheim, the Lizardmen attacking the Dwarfs of Karaz-A-Karak - or 'Caraz-A-Carak' as it was called then, that sort of stuff...

"Otto Kleinhund's Apocrypha to the Almanac of the Brotherhood of Speculative Antiquaries" or something... please...

·
Registered
992 Posts
Right, the introduction to the Dwarf tongue is up, and depending on how you view it is either 4 days early or 7 hours late( i had to scrafice revision time for you guys, so if any of you dislike it then i will unleash the giant green fist of fury upon your worthless hides. if you do like it great.). by the way, as i dont have access to a scaner, could someone provide a copy of the runic script(found on page 60 of the current dwarf army book). just post it here for the meanwhile(im sure Vaz wont mind). thanks.

edit- i have found two on google, but they are both in german. it only afffects a small part of it, and i can work around it, but i would prefer an english one please.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Grom the Paunch being killed in an assault on the Dwarf City of Middenheim
Wasnt Middenheim the city in the Empire that was destroyed in the year 3000????

@Dafist: Its small but there was an article in a WD a few years back that had some grammer nd runes in it so that you could make a special name for ur dwarf weapon. U want me to see if i could fish it out for you?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Wasnt Middenheim the city in the Empire that was destroyed in the year 3000????

This is why we need an Almanac...

1999 - destruction of Mordheim (Imperial City) - is that what you're thinking of?

2325 (or something) - current year in Warhammer timeline

Middenheim is an Imperial city, but in previous versions of the fluff it was a Dwarf city. I believe currently the fluff is that the Dwarves tunnelled under the montain, then abandoned it, then the Empire built a city on top. This is called "having your dwarf-bread and eating it".

:wise old cyclops that spouts tales no-one now believes:

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the intention is to have articles that are currently up to date with 7th edition (or last known information), but there is no harm in any articles including any retconned work.

So if the current fluff states that the City of Middenheim is a city in the Empire, then it's a city in the Empire. If it's a city built on the Tunnels crafted by the dwarfs, then that's what it is. If in the past it was a Dwarf City, then put down a Paragraph/Heading stating that the city was previously a Dwarven city.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
992 Posts
@Dafist: Its small but there was an article in a WD a few years back that had some grammer nd runes in it so that you could make a special name for ur dwarf weapon. U want me to see if i could fish it out for you?
thats essentialy a simplified version of what i was going to type up any way-i have got it(filed away some where), if you can provide the aprroximate issue number/date for it that will make it easier for me to find, and all will benefit(apart from my fingers).

edit- i can guarante that the next segment will be up by wednesday at the latest, thanks for your paitence everyone.

·
Registered
992 Posts
yo, dudes, i am realy sorry, but coursework season has hit me like a sledgehammer in the guts, so the dwarf language thing will be serriously delayed. again, i am very sorry about this, and i hope you all forgive me.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No worries mate - seriously, this (Heresy as a whole) is a past time, and I'd rather someone spent more time worrying about their future than a past time. This was just something which I hoped could be used to create a bit of a background (hopefullly a full blown Wiki =O) for Warhammer Fantasy, but it's a Long way off yet - and there are NO deadlines =D

Still as a bit of a rider though, I DO mind if I find out that there is posting of copyrighted materials - this does include Scans of the page in the Dwarf Army book. I have the book myself, so will happily draw the Runes out for you, if need be, but there is to be no copyrighted material, in articles, or the like. If I find out, expect it to be reported, and no credit for any articles YOU WRITE, regardless of how much effort went into it.

I'm sorry it seems so harsh, but as this is going to be quite a large thing, I'm not going to have those who have spent so much work going into it dragged through the dirt, or the site risking closure due to such materials. This goes for any and everyone. If you're unsure, I'm sure asking any of the Staff who deal with the area (like squeek, or Ancient), or any of the super staff (Jez, for example) will be able to confirm. if they aren't available, Holla, and I'll usually get an answer ASAP. Usually though, if you're unsure, it's usually a sure sign of no, so recreate it yourself ;)

·
Registered
992 Posts
thanks for understanding vaz, and sorry, didn't think about copywrite. silly me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts