Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· The Omnipotent
256 Posts
Theren
Theren was one of the few Elves who enjoyed Dwarven handiwork and, looking round the keep, he saw that the Steelhammer clan had to be some of the most skilled Dwarfs in all of Em'Ralden.

Eventually, he turned from the structure to get a better look at the others that Modeus had chosen. He noticed his fellow Elves first, both looked battle hardened and were much taller than he was, as Theren was always short for one of his kind. Looking at the rest of the group, two humans and a dwarf, he noticed they were all covered in scars. He knew that if he ever had to fight alongside these warriors that they would perform quite well. I could probably defeat them all. Theren thought as one of the humans introduced himself.

"Föstólfr is my name, and I hail from the lands of the kingdom of men, near the mountains." He was a beast of a man who looked like he could tear another being in half with his bare hands.

"The name's Theren. Mercenary." Years of life on the road had deteriorated Therens usually formal demeanor that was commonplace within the mages of his people.

Soon after this Modeus gave them their tasks. Theren was a bit disappointed when he was tasked with reading a book on white dragons. Everything he had needed to know about these creatures, he learned on the battlefield. He was also quite disappointed that he would not actually be meeting his dragon until later. Without acknowledging Modeus' orders, he went off towards the library.

"A truly impressive sight is it not?" Corlandril said after he opened the doors.

"By the gods, this is amazing." Theren exclaimed. He had never seen a library this large since his days in the mages tower of Zerith'ai. His life on the battlefield hadn't diminished his thirst for knowledge that consumed some of his friends and he always carried a book in his pack. But this many in such a place was simply stunning. He quickly moved to the place where the book should have been and his heat sank when it wasn't there. It was only a moment before he realised that Modeus must have hidden it from them. He didn't expect such an easy task from the Dark Elf anyway.

Theren quickly moved around the giant room, scanning every rug and moving every piece of parchment. After about 45 minutes, his frustration had risen to the point where he almost felt like blasting the room to pieces until he found it. He moved towards the sitting area again, looking at the sealed package on the table that he had noticed before but gave no second thought. After a few minutes he decided to open it. After breaking the seal and carefully unwrapping the parchment, he saw the title. 'A guide to white dragons.'

"Modeus you bastard," Theren laughed, "I walked past this thing a hundred times." Theren quickly sat down and began to read. Only a few sentences in, he noticed light glinting off his golden breastplate. The fireplace was lit and Theren realised how warm it actually was. A wave of his hand put out the fire and cooled the embers and once the area was cold again he resumed his reading.

Fennindier
"C'mon, wake up, time to get out." Fennindier was fast asleep when a Dwarf woke him and unlocked his pen. He had just began absorbing the morning sun when he was led into the keep, down a corridor. It wasn't long before they were back outside and Fennindier stood upright, wings open, to capture as much warmth as possible. He instantly fell over but stood up quickly, hoping to avoid embarrassment.

He then looked around the courtyard they had been left in, noticing that it had everything they needed. He moved instantly to one of the trees and began chewing and clawing on a branch to sharpen his teeth and claws. It tasted terrible but Fennindier knew the results would be worth it. Once he was done with that, he watched as Kalranos trid to fly to the top of the tree after jumping off a table. Fennindier began beating his own wings hard but to no avail. He couldn't get any lift from them.

Looking at a table, he thought of trying Kalrano's maneuver and ran towards it as fast as he could. He leapt landing on his forelegs and pushed hard with his hind legs, his wings pushing hard against the air. This worked a bit, gliding further than what he could jump, but it was still hopeless. He hit the ground hard, his head impacting against stone, dazing him.

After his quick recovery, he decided to cool off in the water finding it easier to maneuver through it than air. This is good training for flying, he thought, easily gliding through the water. Raising his head, he felt that someone was heading towards the courtyard. And they had meat, that much he could smell. As soon as the doors opened, he bolted towards the barrels, tearing a chunk of wood out of one of them and grabbing a large piece of meat in his teeth. When he was full he walked towards the middle of the courtyard to rest in the warmth of the sun.

· The Omnipotent
256 Posts
Theren
Theren's jaw was dropped in awe the whole time he was reading the book. He had read hundreds of books in his life, even a few about dragons, but this one had so much more information on dragons that even the most respected scholar in Az'Neldaren couldn't match. Theren Was a good way through the book when a Dwarf entered the library and told them that the feast was ready in the main hall. He was about to place the book in his pack when the Dwarf told him to leave it in the library - Modeus doesn't allow them to leave.

Disappointed, Theren followed the Dwarf to the main hall where the long table was covered with food and drink. He took the seat next to Corlandril and began piling food on his plate. He also filled his cup with Dwarven ale, being one of the few elves that could drink more than one glass without losing his ability to walk.

"I'm more than impressed with your collection of books, Modeus. " He said before noticing that he was covered in dirt and soot. "What are you crafting in there?"

While Modeus was answering, Theren returned to his food, listening carefully to the Dark Eelves words.

Fennindier
Fennindier quickly fell asleep after the meal, he had eaten more than he could handle ad was unwilling to move until his stomach settled. When he woke up, it was to the sound of Dwarfs entering the courtyard. They had brought books among other things so he moved up to look at them. He had heard once that white dragons like himself were from Az'Neldaren so he grabbed the book with that name in the title and began reading. First he read about the High Elves, their culture and their great cities. But when the part about the war between them and the dragons, Fennindier was shocked that his own race could do that to another. The book described the burning of the white cities and slaughter of thousands.

After reading this, he stopped ad thought about how he would rise up against his own kin and defend the Elves from the dragons. As bad as he felt that he would have to fight his own kin, he couldn't let them do what they were doing now. Soon after, Zala'Drakhar flew above the courtyard and landed on the wall. "Hello there little ones, are you enjoying yourselves today? I have come to see if you need any questions answered about what happens when your a fully grown?".

Fennindier thought hard, wodering what he wanted to ask the most. Eventually the question came to him and he raised his head. "Will we be taught to fight?"

· The Omnipotent
256 Posts
Theren
"What I am crafting within the forges of this keep is something that you shouldn't concern yourself with until i believe you are ready. To say the least they will help you in being a rider and eventually going into battle. Now do you have any other questions? If not then feel free to talk with the others while i continue to answer questions before telling you a tale. So you know when you meet your dragon this evening his name is Fennindier" Modeus replied to Theren's question.

"Fair enough," Theren said before returning to his meal, unable to think of anything else he wanted to ask. As he continued to eat, Corlandril and Föstólfr began arguing, throwing their uneducated opinions at each other. Theren shook his head, racial disagreements and exclusion were all too common in this world, as Theren had experienced many times, and they usually had little reason and truth behind them.

"Now, cant we all just get along?" Kell said as the argument continued.

"Yes, you two are pathetic. Föstólfr, you have obviously never seen the great forests of Ela'Amnor. They are quite beautiful. And Corlandril, you can't judge humans until you've lived within their community, most of them are quite kind and caring. You two have no right to argue as you do." Theren almost yelled this before turning to Kell. "I agree with you. And if scars prove our experience, what does that make us?"

Fennindier
"Yes Fennindier you will be taught to fight, both by myself and My Rider Modeus. The reason for this is you need to know how to fight as a dragon, and how to fight as Rider and Dragon. To be in complete harmony in battle. I assume you ask this because what your race has done to the high elves?"

"Yes, Zala'Drakhar," Fennindier replied to the elder dragons answer, "I know they are my kin but what they're doing is wrong."

He then listened intently to the rest of Zala'Drakhar's answers, unable to tear his gaze from him. When he offered to bring some live prey Fennindier kept his mouth shut, unwilling to say any more despite wanting to be able to hunt and kill.

· The Omnipotent
256 Posts
"Yes scars prove our worth! If you have no scars, you did not fight a worthy fight! You want to know what scars makes us! THEY MAKES US WARRIORS!! THEY MAKES US THE BEASTS WE ARE"

This was more than Theren could take. This human, who couldn't be past his 25th year was speaking like this. He stood up threw his arms out and sent a chill throughout the room just powerful enough to freeze the condensation on his cup. The candles flickered as this wave of power burst through them.

"You dare speak to me like that! I spent almost 10 years recovering from a wound that would have killed most others. I have been to every realm, fought alongside every race, KILLED members of every race including a dragon in the Dwarven mines. You, you are nothing. They don't praise you in the halls of Kel'Karadorn. Your name is not the subject of tavern songs. I could easily kill you in the blink of a eye or trap you in an ice prison until you beg for death. I have over 100 years experience on you and don't you forget it. How many dragons or giants have you killed?" Theren punched the table, cracking the thin layer of ice that had built up. "The only reason you will make an impact on this world is IF you become a dragon rider. I have already made my impact here and will continue to do so for many years."

Theren stopped suddenly, shocked at how this human could have riled him so. "Forgive me Modeus, I meant no disrespect. Any pnishment you throw my way is well deserved." He bowed deeply, regretting his uncontrollable outburst and the desecration of Modeus' great hall. He continued to stand, waiting for Modeus' reply.

· The Omnipotent
256 Posts
Theren
"WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT Föstólfr THE HIGH ELF SLAYER!!" This was the last straw for Theren. As much as he tried to be calm, this arrogant beast was making things worse. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply, suppressing the magical energy in him before he obliterated the human. As he opened his eyes, he saw Modeus' hand drop, hitting the table with an unbelievably loud crack. Theren recoiled in pain, not expecting such a noise from the dark elf.

"You will all listen to me, you are to stop these petty arguments, you are going to become Dragon Riders, and to do such you will need to work together, is that all understood?" He said, instantly having everyone's attention.

"Yes, Lord Modeus," Theren replied, maintaining his composure despite the situation, "I shall keep my cool next time. And refrain from using magic in your halls."

"Return to your tasks. In eight more hours return here for the evening meal in which you will all meet your dragons." Modeus then said dismissively, sounding disappointed with them.

As he walked back to the library with Corlandril and Valdir, he couldn't help but think about what happened earlier. He began to speak in Elven, hoping the working Dwarfs couldn't understand him. "Why would Modeus select a man like that. He is disgusting. Unworthy of my...OUR attention. And he is what? Barely out of his twentieth year? Even that human mercenary, Kell, is a more decent fellow than him. Anyway, good luck finding your book Valdir, that Modeus is pretty good."

They entered the library and Theren went straight for his book, eager to finish it. Reading had always calmed Theren and he knew he needed it now more than ever. As he sat, he noticed that the Dwarves had lit the fire again, and one of them was glaring a him. Remembering his previous promise to Modeus, he left the fire alone, enduring it's discomfort as he read the last few chapters, eager to go over the rest of the library when he was done.

Fennindier
Fennindier felt excitement as Zala'Drakhar flew off, knowing that he was going to bring back something for them to kill and eat themselves. Sure the meat was good but there was no pleasure in eating it, something was missing and Fennindier had a feeling it was to do with not being able to hunt it down. He ran back to the trees to sharpen his claws some more in anticipation of being able to use them. He turned his head towards the other dragons, speaking to the closest ones.

"This is exiting isn't it? Our first hunt, the chance to eat fresh meat." He said out loud, dragging his claws down the tree. He didn't care what the others thought of him at this moment, his mind was too occupied to even give that thought.

· The Omnipotent
256 Posts
Theren
Theren smiled as he turned to the last page of the book. He had finished well before the others and remembered almost everything he had read. His celebration was cut short however when he read what was on that page - 'Well done my students for reading this book, NOW GO FIND AND READ THE SECOND ONE!' There were mixed feelings about this sentence after Theren read it. Frustration at the fact that he had gone to so much trouble getting the first one, but awe at the amount of knowledge on dragons that Modeus had. He walked past Valdir and headed to the spot where the book should have been, carefully placing it in the gap, noticing for the first time that there was enough space for an extra book.

Taking a deep breath, Theren began to look for this second book. It was just as hard to find as the first and Theren's frustration began to well up after only 10 minutes. Walking towards the back of the library, he noticed a small pile of parchment under a table that he hadn't seen before. He angrily kicked it aside, revealing a book as large as the one he had just read - 'A guide to white dragons. vol. 2.' This book had just as much information as the first, meaning Theren wouldn't have time today to examine the rest of Modeus' fine collection. Still frustrated, he headed back, sat down and read the book.

Fennindier
Fennindier was still sharpening his teeth and claws when the shadow of Zala'Drakhar swept over the courtyard. As he looked up, he could smell the blood of the deer, which were writhing madly in Zala'Drakhar's claws.As the adult dragon swept down to drop the deer, Fennindier ran under him, hoping to be the first to reach the helpless prey. When Zala'Drakhar dropped the animals though, he realised that they weren't as helpless as he thought, the deer running almost as soon as they were dropped. Fennindier lunged at one but missed, the deer still agile despite it's ordeal with Zala'Drakhar. He followed it around the courtyard untill it ran into a corner - now was his chance. Creeping low, he leaped towards the animal, jaw open wide, ready to deliver a killing blow. Despite cornering the creature though, it still managed to avoid Fennindier's jaws around it's neck, and he just got one of it's legs, trapping it between his teeth. He bit hard, savoring the blood that poured into his mouth, clawing at the creatures body. He knew that if he tried to change position that it would get away, so he waited, hoping that another dragon might come to help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.