Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! So after many delays and much time waiting, I've just finished painting six Guardsmen for my mechanized army. The whole process, from assembling, to priming all the way up to painting has definitely been a learning experience. Forgive the fuzzy quality of these photos, my camera isn't what one would call cutting-edge.

I'd have to say, after doing these six models I am completely in awe of how many of you do such amazing jobs on your miniatures. I was a bit discouraged at first, with my poor-quality brushes not helping in that field. Right now I'm much more concerned with getting the models before August (I donate plasma at a facility in my home town for money, and in August I go back to college, where I'll be far too busy to donate), so painting I guess can be entirely secondary (I still want to do it, and I really want the image I have of my army to be brought to life). I know there's still a lot that can be done (the flesh is just a base of Ratskin Flesh right now, I'm still trying to figure out a good way to do flesh tones), but any advice and critique you could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
you could really have a new friend: the wash :)
save hours and have a more "pro" result
you've chosen an hard colour (gray-black) to begin you adventure! i'd hate to paint 40+ models in black :p
keep it going and don't be shy! paint, try, do bad stuff, do good stuff, and POST PICS!!
(we need piicsss.....)
As for the skin i've found some useful tips here Painting Flesh
Show Me Some Skin | BrushThralls.com

and for the black cloths (my simpaties to you :D )
Painting Black | BrushThralls.com

those links will be more useful than a thousand words (for me at least, have been so)
cheers!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I share your pain of lots of models - I still have 40+ cultists that need painting. To get a quick and easy highlight, just base them in the darker grey colour then drybrush the lighter colour over the top. It saves time, and can be done with crappy brushes. If you feel this looks too harsh then a wash over the top tones it down.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Luckily for me (and my sanity haha) I'm doing a mostly mechanized army, so there won't be an exorboant amount of infantry to paint. I've got twenty Guardsmen primed and ready to be painted. I was thinking about base coating the armour and cloth in black then using the dark grey, which is Mechanicus Standard Grey, as a highlight for that. Ill try two more models, one using the drybrush technique and another with the wash technique. Ill have those up later today. Does the wash technique work well with everything, or just some colors?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
it depends on your skill, i guess. i've found very easy to wash skins (both pale and dark), brown, blue, red but the real golden rule is that you can use the old "devlan mud" (can't remember the new name) on any surface that you might want gritty and dirty and has a base colour that contains at least a part of yellow (brown, some shades of green etc)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"devlan mud" (can't remember the new name)
Agrax Earthshade.

Well I just tried the dry brush technique and thought I'd share my results. The pictures don't really do them justice, but what I did was basecoat in Mechanicus Standard Grey, then drybrush with Administratum Grey, followed by a wash of Nuln Oil. I'm happy with these results but I figured I'd get everyone else's opinion too.

And a side by side with one of the others I did.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've decided to update this almost daily, even if the update is something as small as pics of bits I'm filing down for assembly. A very productive day yesterday, painted five more Guardsmen in the new scheme, and touched up the six I already had done.

The group so far:

Details:

As for today, I was so pleased with myself yesterday that I decided on only working on four more tonight, a flamer, a grenade launcher, another sergeant, and a vox caster.

I like the dry brush technique Dakingofchaos mentioned, and I added the step of washing the cloth with Nuln Oil to give it a dirtier look.

Also let me know how the pictures are turning out, I think this monitor is darker than what it should be, so that might be throwing off my judgement a little bit but they might be too dark.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
well now you are going to save time! nice work! you could give a little contrats here and tthere highlighting some more the red and the metal parts (maybe even the black armour?)
about the pics: I do feel they're a little too dark, in fact.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
highlighting some more the red and the metal parts (maybe even the black armour?)
I can't seem to get my head around how to properly highlight black plates (so instead I just did that grey stripe, which looks more like a decal than highlight. Highlighting the red shouldn't be too hard, and the cloth could probably have it's higher areas highlighted with Bone White, or would that be too drastic?

about the pics: I do feel they're a little too dark, in fact.
I knew it haha As soon as I get my laptop back I'll upload the pictures into Photoshop and touch them up. Until then I'll practice with more light being cast on them, hopefully it doesn't drown out the detail.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've decided to update this almost daily
Oh man, sometimes I out do myself haha Anyway, with the hiatus (laziness) I've taken, I've acquired quite a bit more for my army, including 20 more Guardsmen who are getting love as veteran squads, and 6 Heavy Weapons Teams, both bought from KCTSports over eBay (good seller, even threw in some free bits with my last purchase!). For the Veterans I'm putting Pig Iron Productions heads on them, specifically the Kolony Militia line. I also 'finished' my 20 standard Guardsmen! Oh happy day!

The Veteran Heavy Weapon Squads, three lascannons and three autocannons. Three of the teams are currently awaiting more heads from Pig Iron Productions.

Assembled and (some) primed Veterans. In addition to those shown here another six are waiting for plasma and melta arms to arrive. Since taking the picture I've attached and primed two plasma gunners and two melta gunners.

A good picture showing how the Pig Iron heads work with Cadian bodies. I like the replacements a lot, and love how the seem to slope naturally with the armor.

My favorite sergeant out of the bunch, used a leftover Heavy Weapons Team arm for him to give him a bit more authoritative look. Very happy.

Something special I decided to do with my Veterans. I use an Excel knife to cut away the little dimple used to attach backpacks, and sanded it down. It gives what I think is a whole different look to the armor they wear. Definitely sticking with this.

A picure of the 20 standard Guardsmen I painted. I learned a lot from assembling and painting these guys. The most important lessons: THIN YOUR PAINTS; Sand everything down. Everything; Drybrushing can be your friend; and certain lasgun arms go with certain supporting arms.

I've got 50 dice in the mail and just ordered a Company Command Squad kit earlier today, and later this week I hope to order either my first Leman Russ or my first Chimera. Things certainly are gearing up quite well I must say!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I managed to finish up six Veterans yesterday. The red stripe on their black plate is how I'll differentiate between them and the common troopers.

A group shot of the six

A few individuals. I swear they look better than this in person. For some reason these pictures make them look like garbage haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts