Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we know that there are other minor chaos gods. The question I have, is whether you Heretics think they are part of the Greater Game all on one team? Have they even been born yet? If they have whats the difference between Slaanesh's birth and the minor god's birth. Because technically all the chaos gods have existed in some form or another. Was it just the fact that Slaanesh was able to use pleasure to obtain more souls than most, that he just blew a whole in reality? Was that what the god slaanesh was waiting for... the perfect moment?

If you have any other god's names please feel free to put their names and talk about them in this thread. I remember there was one in the Heresy Novels though I forget his names.

The minor god I wish to talk about is Malice. The only fluff on him is in the Heros of the Space Marines novel, if you wish to look into him. Now my question is, that little ritual at the end, was that really the birth of Malice? Because, that was semi weaker than Slaanesh's birth.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The 4 main gods aren't all equally powerful. I think that their relative power ranking goes something like Nurgle>Khorne>Tzeench>Slaanesh. So I guess that the other gods are just much less powerful.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
So we know that there are other minor chaos gods. The question I have, is whether you Heretics think they are part of the Greater Game all on one team?
There are many entities within the warp that could be considered minor chaos gods. For example, in the Formless Wastes daemons (including daemon princes) powerful and ambitious enough are able to create their own realms within the tides of the warp, instilling a measure of control on their surroundings. Some of these minor realms last fleeting moments, not powerful enough to withstand the ever-changing currents of the warp. But some are just as old as the four great realms, not as powerful or dominant, but have lasted just as long. Now, these powerful daemons could well be considered minor deities in and of themselves.

Other than that there are other gods (not daemons) as well, those created from less prevalent emotions, thoughts and actions across the universe.

Are they all on one team in the Great Game? No. They despise one another just as much as the major four do. No chaos deities can peacefully co-exist, its the way of the warp.

Have they even been born yet? If they have whats the difference between Slaanesh's birth and the minor god's birth. Because technically all the chaos gods have existed in some form or another. Was it just the fact that Slaanesh was able to use pleasure to obtain more souls than most, that he just blew a whole in reality? Was that what the god slaanesh was waiting for... the perfect moment?
Slaanesh fed off the untapped Eldar psyche for millennia, as she slowly coalesced she forced the Eldar to greater heights of depravity and hedonism which further empowered her. At the moment of her birth, because she was so attuned to the Eldar race she devoured untold trillions of their souls and devoured their gods. The reason her birth was much more extreme and noticable than that of minor Chaos deities was because she is a major god, she had fed off the actions of trillions of Eldar for millennia and devoured the vast majority of them, automatically making her much more powerful then all other chaos deities but the three.

The 4 main gods aren't all equally powerful.
For all intents and purposes they should be considered equally powerful, because depending on the Great Game each of the main four are at one point or another the most powerful and dominant.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The 4 main gods aren't all equally powerful. I think that their relative power ranking goes something like Nurgle>Khorne>Tzeench>Slaanesh. So I guess that the other gods are just much less powerful.

My understanding was that Slaanesh was the most powerful as she is the most recent god. Also she smashed the Eldar, something the others were not able to do. In fact the chaos gods owe their current good fortune to Slaanesh. If not for her they'd still be worried about dealing with the Eldar pantheon.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Nope... was writing something then remembered it was fantasy fluff, and not 40k.

Anyway, the only other god I know of is the coolest of them all, but not one GW can use anymore (stupidly lost the copyright and wont buy it back). The 5th chaos god was Malal (or Malice) and he represents chaos' tendancy for self destruction. He was said to be insane, the parasitic god and was cast out by the others... but then its unclear is he was forced out or left by his own will. He fights solely to defeat the other chaos gods, but since he is parasitical his strength grows and falls with the other chaos gods (chaos cvant destroy itself if its weak). He even has his own chapter of CSM: The Sons of Malice, whose colours are quarters of Black and White... and which I intend to do as a bit of a painting project when the new daemonhunters codex gets released (and use them as a grey knight company (?) that has such hatred of chaos that they've embraced Malal in order to acheive the power to destroy chaos... should be fun.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
My understanding was that Slaanesh was the most powerful as she is the most recent god. Also she smashed the Eldar, something the others were not able to do.
No, in fact older editions of the background had Slaanesh as the weakest of the Four. Since the release of Codex: Chaos Daemons the background has been reworked around the deeper revelations of the Great Game, in which each of the Four essentially 'take turns' at being the strongest.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope... was writing something then remembered it was fantasy fluff, and not 40k.

Anyway, the only other god I know of is the coolest of them all, but not one GW can use anymore (stupidly lost the copyright and wont buy it back). The 5th chaos god was Malal (or Malice) and he represents chaos' tendancy for self destruction. He was said to be insane, the parasitic god and was cast out by the others... but then its unclear is he was forced out or left by his own will. He fights solely to defeat the other chaos gods, but since he is parasitical his strength grows and falls with the other chaos gods (chaos cvant destroy itself if its weak). He even has his own chapter of CSM: The Sons of Malice, whose colours are quarters of Black and White... and which I intend to do as a bit of a painting project when the new daemonhunters codex gets released (and use them as a grey knight company (?) that has such hatred of chaos that they've embraced Malal in order to acheive the power to destroy chaos... should be fun.
The chaos god of Malice in the Heroes of the Space Marines, is that an attempt by BL to pretty much replace Malal?

·
Registered
929 Posts
i has been said on many occasions the balance of power tips back and forth between the 4 major chaos gods often. Technically, none of the 4 chaos gods are 'constantly' more powerful than the others. As CotE said, i have read in fluff that Slaanesh is the weakest of the 4, but this contradicts what i first wrote so im sticking by that.

Khorne lusts for death... skulls and death, blood and bone...
Tzeentch plans his never ending plans, and then changes them infinitely, then changes it again.
Slaanesh lusts for pain and pleasure, and probably enjoys war as much as Khorne... until they actually die.
And Papa Nurgle is happy to sit back and watch the universe rot...

all 4 chaos gods are a compliment to one another as much as they are a hindrance.

·
Registered
929 Posts
what was the minor chaos god that worked with Inquisitor Steele in the Dues books?

Was he a deamon of Tzneetch? or an actual minor god? i cant recall? wasnt he the god of Deceit or something? and there was also the minor god in the first Grey Knights book. 'something of a thousand faces' or something along those lines. im at work so dont have my collection at my disposal for reference.

·
Registered
394 Posts

Hmm I didn't know that. Was it Raymond E. Feist who they lost copyright to? I think one of his gods fits that description.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually if you kept a track record of how many times a chaos god has somehow won over or beat another god from the Chaos Daemon Codex, it would go somewhat like Tzteench-Khorne-Nurlge-Slaanesh. Slaanesh is percieved as being beaten by all the chaos gods in one story or another.

I was sure Khorne was the most powerful.
This was the case, Though interesting enough, their is some evidence in more earlier accounts that supports favor of Tzteench over the other chaos gods. Some of these suggestions are how often Tzteench being described as decieving and getting the better of the other gods. Though the codex does say that more than often the chaos gods do team up on one god to even things out a little, there is a whole story to tzteench that says he once has so much power that all three of the other chaos gods had to team up and kick his ass. The only way he was able to stop them was by destroying his staff. Even now, Tzteench as two special scribes going around the universe picking up the pieces of this staff so that no god ever has the power that he once had.

Nevertheless, we should always assume the balance of power between the four

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In Fantasy, Tzeentch is currently seen as being the current most powerful, having toppled Khorne, following the death of the last Everchosen being the champion of Khorne, and only to have it unravelled by Magnus.

Of course this has no bearing in 40K, but it's the only relevant bit I can remember off the top of my head.
Thats interesting. Though of course GW has always made it sound that the gods are equal, I've always felt that they've leaned to one side. Like I could understand Khorne, being somewhat little bit powerful that the others because he is the oldest of the gods. But it seems like they have changed directions towards tzteentch. but at least that what I feel. :victory:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I believe that Khorne is the most powerful the majority of the time. He is the god of war, murder, blood, and bone. Even as the followers of other gods kill his he draws strength from their actions. Every war to petty uprising feeds his power. The gods powers wax and wane as their followers commit acts that they represent or as even those that don't openly worship them commit these same acts. Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows, only that it does. :crazy: The space marine fighting Eldar feeds Khorne's power just as much as a chainaxe weilding World Eater.

"There is no peace among the stars, only an eternity of slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods." -Chaos Codex

Nurgle's power is ultimately self defeating. The more his followers spread his plagues the more powerful he gets. Until they die of his gifts and he starts all over again.

Slaanesh's followers are very few compared to the other gods. There are very few self indulgers in a universe of poverty and war.

Tzeentch is the only god that may be able to rival Khorne. But he will never attain any final goals as that would be the end of his powers. He just continually plots and schemes. Khorne on the other hand wants nothing more than war. And he has a whole universe of it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
287 Posts
The daemon-lord in the first Grey Knights book was a daemon of Tzeentch.I would say it seemed to be an order of power greater than your standard Lord of Change, but it was still just a Tzeentch-puppet.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts