Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just been and had my first painting lesson at war hammer world this morning ( not that I’m a beginner or anything check me out in the gallery). I have never got the hang of blending or free hand detail so one of the staff took me through stage by stage. I would recommend anyone to ask for painting advice from these guys as I for one have improved with a new technique, there not just there for the absolute beginner. :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
I find that being in person with other painters showing you how to do things or how they do things actually improves your skill level in painting. When i was at GD2009 i learnt alot from the eavy metal guys and some of the golden demon winners that year too. So it is worth getting experience in that sense if you want to improve :)

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
you got painting tips at warhammer world without paying £100?...I am truly shocked.

(for those who don't get that I'm referring to when warhammer world used to have a "pro" painter give you tips for £100 a pop)

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
you got painting tips at warhammer world without paying £100?...I am truly shocked.

(for those who don't get that I'm referring to when warhammer world used to have a "pro" painter give you tips for £100 a pop)
Jesus? Really... That sucks cock big time.. I am glad that isn't still around...

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Jesus? Really... That sucks cock big time.. I am glad that isn't still around...
yes it used to be advertised in WD as a sort of mark of pride....but I don't think anyone with half a braincell paid £100 to have in essence a member of staff show them how to paint model

·
Registered
548 Posts
what's the quote that comes to mind here? oh yes, "if you're good at something never do it for free". working in architecture / animation, my services are often billed to clients at £90-120/hr, so this doesn't seem like GW's most heinous crime...

still, it's good that they are doing it for free now! i was in GW glasgow this morning picking up some very handy hints for highlighting metal, and didn't pay a penny for the privilege :grin:

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
How long ago was that? Because I guess the internet changed that with all the online tutes and stuff :p
It was a few years ago now, but it just stuck in my head as utterly stupid.
working in architecture / animation, my services are often billed to clients at £90-120/hr
I think architecture/animation is a little different to painting toy soldiers

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
what's the quote that comes to mind here? oh yes, "if you're good at something never do it for free". working in architecture / animation, my services are often billed to clients at £90-120/hr, so this doesn't seem like GW's most heinous crime...

still, it's good that they are doing it for free now! i was in GW glasgow this morning picking up some very handy hints for highlighting metal, and didn't pay a penny for the privilege :grin:
Yeah, I think Architecture you need to pay big money, since if you don't get paid, you won't put a lot of effort into the building and it might fall down... So, in a way, if you don't get enough, you can MAKE THEM PAY! :laugh:

But in responce to the thread (since I haven't yet - sorry) I think that GW are always a great source of inspiration, and great to ask. I really enjoy watching other people paint actually (as long as that doesn't sound stalkerish...) because you can see how they do it differently, which is pretty good for tips!

·
Registered
548 Posts
i may not have gotten my point across very well there. wasn't [intentionally] comparing the cost of designing buildings to the cost of painting toy soldiers - i was just trying to say that all art [and this hobby is, and can be art - look at Fucking Hell by Jake and Dino Chapman, for example] is relatively expensive, as you are paying someone [the artist] to share their time and considerable skill.

maybe another analogy would work better - look at how much university fees / college tuition costs. that money provides you with a hugely valuable educational experience, and new skill-sets to use for the rest of your life.

on a smaller scale, if a hundred quid - and the experience with the "pro" painter that that money buys you - makes you a better painter, and helps you get more out of the hobby [mainly by not being ashamed to put you mini's on a table against a new opponent, as i used to be many years ago]...isn't it kind of worth it?

just a thought, and agreed, it's better to get it for free!!

peace out, and sorry if i sent things way off topic - foible :grin:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hell if you have the money to give away then crack on and spend that much for advice lol :)

I normally take my models into GW to show some of the guys that i know and the "boss" always has tips for me or ideas that i can do to make my models look that little bit better.

Like moo said its great learning from other people which is one of the reasons i am on here and i think the eavy metal guys actually got sick of me by the end of that GD lol i probably ruined all chances of ever getting employed by them haha.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
yes it used to be advertised in WD as a sort of mark of pride....but I don't think anyone with half a braincell paid £100 to have in essence a member of staff show them how to paint model
really? Which white dwarfs? i have them going back to the late 80s and dont remember paid sessions been offered, i have seen loads of heavy metal roads shows and the like but never seen a fee asked for?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts