Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am one of the lucky few who is able to support my GW hobby with enough cash to get what I want when I want it, however even I at times are unable to afford all the bells and whistles for my games or for my armies, let alone spend the time getting everything painted.

With the advent of Fantasy 8th edition, I decided to head back to Dark Elves and as part of that process went through creating a new gaming board to wage war over. As space is usually at a premium and I cannot afford the room currently to set it up, I prefer to use gaming mats rather than modular boards. It also allows me with an extensive terrain collection to change my board quickly to suit a different scenario or campaign. With this in mind I went out looking for some products for a Dark Elf themed board.

Terranscapes Mat

This cost me just over 35 US. However it was a great investment. Mike from Terranscapes was attentitive to my small order and was at pains to explain how to care for my mat and how to ensure it would be flat after sending to Australia and a quick iron.

The mat arrived well packaged, safely. It was of probably the best quality I have seen and I have several gaming mats from various suppliers. It appears hard wearing and will be a great addtion to my "deadlands" or "Urban Board" for Fantasy and 40k.

I can say if your looking for a gaming surface that is good quality, will last and you dont have a modular system or room for one then this is the mat to get.

I also noted Mike had a great range of the Hirst Arts products for scenery, and they come painted. Although for the typical gamer these may be fairly expensive, they are highly durable and they will last for years. If your a long term gamer, I reccomend them as they fit into any scene whether it be fantasy or gothic 40k type set up.

http://terranscapes.com/products/playingsurfaces.php

I will update this thread after I have placed my next order for the Hirst products.

Cheers.

Lexi.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to say the quality is excellent and I look forward to getting a heap of use out of it for my Dark Elf Army....

I will take some pics of the Dark Elves streaming across the nice grey waste and place them up here for people to take a look at.

The thing is with this product, it does what it says it will. I am a gamer who unfortunately cannot have a 6ft x 4ft board set up anywhere in my home. (Partners have threatened to send me to the God Emperor in not so nice ways if I do that).

The product is very good once ironed carefully. In a perfect world I guess the best use of it is to glue it flat down on a board and then do a nice sculpted edge to protect it. However I found it rolled quite well. The best place I could suggest is hanging it out on a railing in a closet.

(Please note Alexious does not condone the use of railing in a closet that may... or may not have Bogey Men present. All Bogey men are known to take things, hide things or perhaps use them. I take no responsibility for your own Bogey Man who may or may not be living in your closet).

:p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts