Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
SW terms can be, so can the HQ Terms in the SM codex if attached to a unit in a pod. Want to say none of the codexs have the option.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
No dice from BA or DA dex's. Those are the only I have to check.

Surely they would have to have the option listed under Dedicated Transport in their bestiary, right?

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
There is no option to put them in said pod, except for what I just listed.

SW term have the option to take a drop pod in their army list.

None of the other armies units of term's have this option.

The other armies IC terms can attach to units that have the option to get a pod. Now that I think about it that is true for pretty much all the term IC's across the game.

The only unit of terms as I said before that can take a pod is the SW terms though. It is part of their fluff, it is the way they deepstrike. They can not deepstrike with out the pods like the rest of the terms in other codexs can.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
I am just going by what is legal in the books in terms of what you can purchase for what units. If you find someone that allows you to alter those rules cool. The rules are fairly straight forward though.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
well I would imagine they could use any transport just not as dedicated
Honestly...

You can't buy a drop pod as anything other than a dedicated transport.

You also can't deploy any squad inside a dedicated transport at the beginning of the game aside from the unit that the dedicated transport was bought for.

Terminators can't take drop pods as dedicated transports unless they are Space Wolves.

Find me something in the rulebook that alters these fundamentals and I will whoop for joy, as my Terminators would love to drop in like this. I heard them talking about just the other day, how they were mistrusting of the current method of teleporting onto the battlefield.

They're a superstitious bunch, you see.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Drop pods are in the 'Dedicated Transport' section of the codex, right?

Page 78, BRB under Dedicated Transports:

The only limitation of a DT is that when it is deployed, it can only carry the unit it was selected with (plus any IC's attached).

Since the Terminators were NOT the unit chosen as they cannot choose a drop pod as a dedicated transport they cannot be deployed in the vehicle when it hits the table.

Please, copy and paste the FAQ that says you can mount a unit in a DT other than the one it was chosen for at the point of deployment.

On a side note, grammar matters. Use it.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
No, you can leave a drop pod purchased as a dedicated transport to a unit empty and deploy the unit without using it. This is not the same thing, you can not just buy a empty drop pod. Each one has to be purchased with a unit, only SW terms have the ability to purchase the drop pod. The FAQ states it can come down empty and your unit can either start on the board or come on to the board on foot. You can not place another unit into that empty pod, either the unit that bought it comes down in it or it comes down empty.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
As the squad has disembarked from the drop pod they will only count as moving in the Infantry sense, they are no longer passengers so they won't suffer the vehicle passenger shooting restrictions, like snap fire at cruising speed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It is dead simple, only the unit that bought the Drop Pod can be deployed in it.
They don't have to deploy in it, they have the choice.
No one else can.
Page 78 Dedicated Transports.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Interesting... Does anyone deploy their drop pods empty?

Has anyone used SW drop pod terminators and regular DS terminators and compared effectiveness?

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
I have deployed empty pods and used them as cover for advancing units.

Unless you scatter off the board SW Termies in a DP will not mishap because of the DP rules. You also will get half your DP on turn one so that can help out stuff. With the new disembark rules they can also spread out more so you will have less blast targets. They could also use the DP as cover.

That is it in terms of advantages over normal Term DS units I think.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Where'd you find that nugget of gold?
He is referring to page 36 under Deep Strike where it says that vehicles that Deep Strike count as having moved at Cruising Speed, and models shooting from a vehicle that moved at Cruising Speed can only fire snap shots. But like Magpie said since they disembarked they are not shooting "out of a vehicle that moved at cruising speed" so they are not restricted.

To the topic at hand Terminators can only take a Land Raider as a DT so they cannot take a DP, unless (as has been said ad nauseum) they are SW.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Somebody really wants none SW Termies in a Drop Pod. I don't mind teleporting Termies though, or putting them in my Land Raider and dropping that into the midst of battle(thank you BA). Risk makes things fun.

well I would imagine they could use any transport just not as dedicated
Not only can Terminators only take certain Transports as Dedicated, the rules for Terminator Armor bar them from EVER embarking a Rhino or Razorback.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts