Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i'm looking to get some Termies, the ideal choice seems to be assualt termies but.... I just dont know.

I run a small but growing Salamnder army. Currently it has

10 Man Tact team, melta gun, ML

10 Man Tact team, melta gun, ML

5 Man Dev squad, 1 Multi Melta, 1 ML, 2 Lascannons

1 Land Raider

1 Captain with twin lighting claws

1 Unassembled future chapter master
1 Unassembled Vulken He'stan.

So... It feels wrong to have a Land Raider and no Termies. With Vulken i'm very much conidering getting 5 SS/TH boys but with such a small army if I leave my Raider home then I really want normal Termies... you dont foot slog assualt termies... ya jsut dont.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree unfortunatly I dont have a Crusader. My wife got my land Raider and shes stock standard.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The name is awesome isnt it? I still think Lascannons are great. A bit overpriced and they lack the AP1 + melta effect of favoured weapons now days but the range....

Still dont understand the stock raider, long range anti tank guns, anti infantry guns.. and then its a transport designed to get up and close. Very weird.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,443 Posts
You could magnetise your termis and buy the pieces from bitz and kitz or some similar store.

·
Banned
2,022 Posts
Paint your army red and make them Blood Angels, that is the only relevant thing I have to add. :|

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you are running Salamanders w/ Vulkan, def. Assault Termiantors. I gave mine all TH & SS, but that was for fluff. I suggest 2 dual Lightning Claws with them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I still have a soft spot for the twin link bolter power fist termies... though I did start playing in 2nd edition... Maybe its just nostalgia. :D

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Are standard termies any good at all? I have plenty of the models I'd like to use, and I think cyclone launchers are neat. I just don't see many specific uses for them.
Yeah, they're fine. People tend to prefer Terminators with thunder hammers and storm shields since they're nearly invulnerable to damage in most cases, but there's not a thing wrong with Tactical Terminators. Give 'em either an assault cannon or cyclone missile launcher and they can be quite flexible and deadly both at range and in assault.

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
:mad:

Paint your army red and make them Blood Angels, that is the only relevant thing I have to add. :|
I regretably again come to tell you NoiseMarine: Shut up if you have nothing relevant to say! :ireful2: Obviously the OP doesn't want BA or is even considering them, he has a very nice Sallies army, and wants to expand them, so your remarks are clogging up this space for useful, appreciated comments. :angry: That is all! :threaten:

@OP: it all really depends on what role you want to have the Termies achieve. If you want your Raider to charge the enemy, then unload a durable, powerful, hardhitting Assault unit, then Assault Termies, even then if you want the Raider to move up a flank giving supporting cover fire, then need to protect it the stock Terminators can be used, as well as foot slogging or Deep Striking them to lay down, respective cyclone launcher or assault cannon or heavy flamer shots being given.

In short, pick the unit for a specific role.

Cheers,
Grish

·
Registered
314 Posts
TH/SS termies footslogging are actually viable, with 3++ all around you don't have to worry about open ground and although you'll have a hard time catching anything they still let you do area denial/fire absorption. That and then they aren't a third of your army.
Good Hunting
Raptors8th

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you want Termies, but arent always going to have the Raider, magnetizing the arms is best. I have a squad of 5 tactical terminators with a Cyclone. The cyclone isn't as amazingly overpowered as it used to be, but it is still quite deadly to everything. It is a Heavy 2 weapon..meaning the firing model gets 2 24" s4 ap5 shots with it's SB and 2 48" either s4 ap6 blast or s8 ap3 shots. Perfect for ripping up GEQ or tearing open a light tank. That is alot of firepower for being able to move and shoot on a single model.

Never underestimate the often overlooked Tactical Terminator squads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts