Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a repost of a question I asked in the modelling section. It got deleted..

Im gonna use a Combi Bolter-Melta gun and a Powerfist on my Champion. Also on other Termie I'm going to use a Heavy Flamer and a Chainfist..

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with the best setup for the other 3 Termies? I'm no good with the rules and such 0.o

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
combi bolter and power weapon would be a standard loadout..

combi metla and heavy flamer seems an odd choice though, anti tank with anti inf?

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
the standard combi-bolter and powerweapon seems a good choice, if you want to combat it up then going for lightning claws could be the way forward, i'd suggest maybe even having an asp champ with lightning claws anyway as it looks cool

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Asp Champ has a combi-melta and a Powerfist. Used the arms off one off the normal armoured Chaos Lords.. The 1 with the Powerfist with the Space Marine head in it..

I will need to make some custom Lightning Claws, looks better..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha! I have the box of Space Marine Termies already, that's what I bought them for lol Didn't know there was plastic CSM Termies coming out 0.o

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Yep! Although the new Chaos Terminators don't have dual lightning claws in the box (at least, the squad doesn't... the Lord sprue does.) While meltaguns may be intended for hunting armour, that doesn't stop them from putting a nice, gaping hole in a Space Marine's torso. I've found they're far more multi-purpose than people give them credit for-- it's not bad to have one in there. Too often, people specialize their squads to a fault so that they can't deal with the situations that arise. You can gear squads to a specific role and have them be very effective, but what happens when they can't do the job you brought them for? You can't just let them die-- that's points that you can't afford to lose, really. Give them some kind of backup so they can keep fighting effectively, even if it's not really what they're there to do. Oddly enough, 10-man Devastator Squads geared for tank hunting are the prime example of that. Have three missiles and a lascannon, and six bolters? No tanks to shoot? Frag missiles and bolters do wonders against light infantry... and Terminators, come to think of it... and if you can't shoot much of anything, and have to rescue a squad that's hopelessly outmatched in close combat, another ten bodies never hurt, particularly if they're power armoured. I've won close combats that I shouldn't have by having my heavy weapons squads charge. Crazy, maybe, but being tactically flexible is what wins you games.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see your point there "The Son of Horus" What would you say to using a Reaper Autocannon? Oh wait, I can only use a Heavy Flamer OR Reaper Autocannon? Isn't it every 3rd guy? 0.o

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
The new rules are, I believe, 1 heavy per every 5

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
More or less. The squad is 3-10, and one can have either a reaper autocannon or heavy flamer. If the squad numbers ten, then you can have an additional reaper autocannon or heavy flamer. So you still get one if you only take three, but you don't get another unless you take 10 in the squad.

As for taking the reaper autocannon... I think it's a far superior option to the heavy flamer. It's twin-linked, it's an autocannon, and you can move and fire it in terminator armour. What's not to like? Yes, the heavy flamer is cheaper by far (in the new codex, particularly) but you're only going to get one or two shots at the very most with it in a game because of its effectively 8'' range (measure the flame template sometime... tip to tip, it's 8'', and at the widest point, it's 2.5''-- handy to know if you ever forget to bring your templates to a game!)-- you'll spend the rest of your time in close combat.

Honestly, I've always considered the reaper autocannon one of the best weapons in the Chaos armoury. Relatively inexpensive, able to handle light armour and infantry, pretty good range, counts as twin-linked, and is only mounted on stuff that can move and fire it (namely, terminators or the defiler).

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Lol yea really sorry about your post. That was my bad. Anyway here is my orginal response before I modsticked the thread

I'm taking it you mean Chaos termis?

The most important thing to decide is what their role on the battlefeild will be.

If you want them as fire support then load up on a Reaper Autocannon and combi-plasma.

If you want Close Combat monsters/infantry killers I'd go with a Heavy Flamer, and then Lightning Claws. And to be honest your stupid is you go with on one lighting claw as you pay the same price for one as you do for both under the new rules. That and a single lightning claw works just the same as a power weapon which you get for free anyway.

For anti-tank I'd take Chain-fists and combi-melta/plasma. Maybe a reaper autocannon.

You will also want to deepstrike all these units if they don't have a taxi on the battlefeild.

·
Registered
954 Posts
All the Combi-plasmas in the world!!!!!

I might use the heavy flamer, but i'm not sure about the Reaper. (the opposite of just about anybody else)

I'll probably keep the powerweapons and add a powerfist to the champion for the extra punch (no pun intended).

I'm a bit mad you see, and just to prove it im giving serious thought to doing the Dragon Warriors (with green stuffed scales)

MarzM :mrgreen:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx for the advice guys! I'm tempted to change for an Autocannon now! 0.o lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts