Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still making my first army and learning the game rules. I bought the pocket rulebook to save some cash. It didn't come with any templates, but it refers to templates in the book. How big are a Plasma Cannon shot and Frag Missile explosion Templates?

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
you can buy the template set from GW for £4, thats $8 tops.

Blast =small template
large blast = large template.

there are paper copies in the main rulebook.

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The back of the rulebook I have says "This book provides you with all the rules you need to play." I assume that means the stats and effects of the weapons also, which would include the template. Therefore, I don't believe they meant for me to have this book and yet not know the size of the templates.

But, if you're trying to keep me from knowing the size of the template just tell me ...

But otherwise, it would really help me build my army if I actually knew what a frag missile, for example, could do ...

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
SB, I don't think Tor meant it that way....

Small templates are 3" in diameter
Large templates are 8" in diameter (also used for ordnance in most cases)
Flame tempates are roughly 8&1/8" long and teardrop shaped.

Most shops, even independant retailers, carry a set of plastic templates. Though my closest shop charges US$10.00 for them.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
i think you need to by the army codex as well to fine out what all of the weapons and stats are for your choosen army

martin

·
Banned
280 Posts
Small templates are 3" in diameter
Large templates are 8" in diameter (also used for ordnance in most cases)
Flame tempates are roughly 8&1/8" long and teardrop shaped.
Woah! Who's template are you using for Ordnance? The large blast is only 5" in diameter, not 8".

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! This helps a lot.

Do any non-ordance weapons that infantry can carry use the large blast marker? I do not recall any listed in the rulebook.

·
Registered
599 Posts
flamers are infantry based,
grenades can use a template as can missle launchers....assuming your imperial.
(also mortars)

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
...key word was large blast.

And a couple things come to mind. the new Shokk Attack Gun rules for the Orks use it, as do the grenade packs from Eldar Swooping Hawks. For the most part, though, the large blast is for ordinance-- those are really the only things that come to mind that use it that are man-portable. A few vehicle-mounted weapons use the large blast but aren't ordinance, such as the submunition round from a Tau hammerhead's railgun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts