Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Templars - Tactics

539 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  unixknight 
#1 ·
I'm a fairly new TemplarPlayer. I know I need to get into CC as soon as possible, but what tactics should I use to get there?

#2 ·
While not an actual tactic per se, the bigger your units of infantry the better, especially in the case of Crusader Squads. Templars are one army that can do well without being heavily mechanized so you won't have to feel bad for taking big units of foot sloggers. :)

Crusader Squads of 20 (10 Initiates, 10 Neophytes) with a meltagun and power fist will cost you 285 points (I think) and when joined by a Chaplain become very, very hard to deal with. Coupled with the Accept Any Challenge, No Matter the Odds Vow these units can steamroll just about any other unit in the game. You'll need to watch for your opponent trying to engage you with multiple squads at once since pretty much no single unit can hope to beat you one-on-one.

Attach a Chaplain (preferably a Reclusiarch) with three Cenobyte Servitors to these kinds of squads. This will allow them to automatically pass their Morale checks by virtue of the Chaplain's Honor of the Chapter rule and the Servitors will speed the squad along when making Righteous Zeal moves.

Assuming you start 12" in from your board edge, best case scenario is that you move 6" in your movement phase, run 6" then Righteous Zeal 6+3" for a total of 33" into the board. You'll be passed the center of the table before the beginning of your second turn in this case, so assaulting the enemy should be easy.

#3 ·
My tactic is to get my marines up in the enemy's face by any means OTHER than running across the board as much as I can.

I do this from multiple vectors, depending on the size of the game:

Bikes-Turbo them in deep
Drop Pods-bring in the pain from dreads or crusader squads
Teleport-Terminators can ride in LRCs but why bother? Beam 'em in
Assault Deep Strikers-self explanatory

Everybody else rides in Rhinos and Land Raiders.

If you must have some troops coming in on foot, make them the guys whose job it is to hold objectives closer to your side of the table or to draw fire. Everybody else should be coming in amongst the enemy or behind their lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.