Sword bretheren terminator assault squad
6 terminators
4 lightning claws/2 TH-SS
Vet skill: Furious charge
Land raider crusader/smoke

3 Land speeders
3 Multimeltas
3 Heavy Flamers

I have about 40 points left to make some add-ons/changes. Any advice is appreciated since this is my first time playing templars. Im trying to build a list for a friend and hes having a hard time getting the hang of these guys. What do you guys think? I figure the two infiltrating squads with meltas and good cc can hurt anyone early on and be touch to deal with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would lose the pod, BT pods dont have the guidance system (to avoid a mishap) and do not come in on the first turn.

The sword bretheren, give them a transport and furious charge. Otherwise they are just overpriced initiates. With FC they are str 5, in 5 marines.

BT landspeeders arent that great in my opinion. A great BT tank buster is a venerable dread w/ tank hunter. You can then load him out with a str 10 lascannon and a str 9 missile launcher. this way you can pop tanks from 48 in and not just 12 in.

I would give the crusader squads BP/CCW to take the best advatage of the champions oath.

The retinue of initiates- I'm pretty sure that Termie honors are an everybody or nobody deal with them. Also, you are going to have ALOT of points tied up in the marshall and his retinue, if you dont give him a transport they are going to get shot up. Lastly, on the Marshall and retinue,The marshall is CC, but the retinue contains heavy weapons that force him to stay still if you want to use them. I advise dropping the heavy weapons, tooling the retinue for CC and giving them a transport to help protect them.

These are just a few suggestions, I hope they help.

·
Registered
186 Posts
the marshal is nice, but very expensive for a guy that can die to a powerfist hit. Personally I like dual claws iron halo and orb, a little cheaper, and gets to hit first (he is best with a reg initiate squad).

Most people don't field the command squad, because of the ridicules point cost. however they can be verry effective. Just not the way u got them loaded. If they have Multi-Melta, give them a rhino and let them move & shoot, and drop the Lightning claws, or Keep th claws, drop the meltas & add bodies ad always keep the rhino.

EC W/ AAC + the only way to go! I like the way you are trying to maxamize this with the claws in the list, might want to try a tech-marine with craptastic servitors(got to get through them to get to the tech-marine).

crusader squads want BP+CCW take advantage of the vow. also max out the squads as much as possible, standard is 10 in a rhino (smoke is a must, all glancing is awesome!) w/melta & pow-fist. Not a big fan of the drop pod, it is a personal choice, but I would take the rhino to saturate with targets vs. giving them a free KP. another option is 5 man las/plas in cover, or with lazback.

Sword Brethren are fun, but not that effective for the cost. 1 or all may be given termi honers, but I would give it to the dual claws & pow weapon (drop the melta) and get a rhino max the squad & furious charge. used properly they can be devastating, but most of the time a regular crusader squad can do their job for less points.

Sword brethren Terminators are awesome Go kill everything and anything with this unit, maybe even go all claw FC = 24 attacks re-roll hits & wounds at S5.... brutal. (I like 1 hammer though just in case) LRC w/smoke is unstoppable :victory:

land speeder are something that I never liked. they die too fast, and never really seem to get all that much done and at that price u can get a vindicator & auto laz pred with 25 pts left over, or for 10 pts less (than the speeders) the venerable tankhunting dread!

Most of the time if your tanks are shooting, and your troops are in cc you are doing things rite, however this has just been my exp, and in no way shape or form am I telling u that your list will not work for u, Just keep in mind that gear squads to compleat a task & try not to invest too much in any 1 thing accept maby with the terminators :laugh:

Welcome to the Crusade!! Happy Hunting!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I like the fact that you are fielding both a command and a sword bretheren squad.
However, you have three main units with infiltrate skills or a drop pod. Will the infiltrated squads be in reserve ? If so, the rest of your army is going to be under a lot of pressure at the start of the game...
Also, you only have 2 troops in a 2000pts game, which seems really light to me. I usually only have 3 troops but it's because 2 of them are 20 men-strong

Anway, good luck and let us know what is working for you

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the plan was only keeping the speeders and the pod in reserve. The infiltrating squads come in on turn 1 with the rhino saders and the raider. figure this way those tricked out squads get into the enemies face turn 1 and the raider can engage to back them up turn 2 or 3. guess i should make some changes eh.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also i figured the infiltrating command squad with mm's could do armor busting on turn 1 as well. and even the bretheren with their melta. Maybe pop a transport and assault the occupants....death.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts